Pesticides and tumors.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Former Oceano

Pesticides and tumors.

by Former Oceano » 26/03/06, 23:10

An interesting article in agrobiosciences ( http://www.agrobiosciences.org/article. ... ticle=1705 ).

The results of an epidemiological study conducted in Gironde show a significant increase in cases of brain tumors among winegrowers and agricultural workers. Pesticides are singled out.

"These tumors are rare, but serious, with 2.800 annual deaths," notes Catherine Petitnicolas in Le Figaro, which headlines on "the risk of pesticides" for farmers. The journalist explains that a study conducted by Isabelle Baldi at the Victor Segalen University in Bordeaux shows that the risk of suffering from a brain tumor "would be multiplied by 2,6 in people most exposed to pesticides".
It tempers this “a priori worrying” figure by the rarity of the cases and only evokes “the potentially harmful role of certain products
phytosanitary », stressing that it is« impossible to date to identify the carcinogenic molecule (s) in question ».

Liberation, which headlines on “the pesticide trail”, sees it as confirmation of “suspicion”. "The estimates make you shudder," writes Sandrine Cabut, who links these first agricultural figures to the larger one, occupational cancers: 15 to 000 cases per year, with almost as many deaths. "Asbestos alone will be responsible for 20 to 000 tumors in the next twenty years," said the journalist. “The most powerful carcinogens such as nickel or asbestos which multiply the risk of tumors by more than forty are well identified. But those whose impact is less significant, such as pesticides (...), are less known ”, explains Sandrine Cabut.

Le Monde prefers to titrate on these “20.000 occupational cancers per year” than on the risks attributed to pesticides alone. "Asbestos is responsible for almost half of occupational cancers," says Paul Benkimoun, who adds that "about 25% of men currently retired have been exposed to asbestos during their working life".

L'Express, in an article devoted to "cancer at work", uses the low estimate of 15.000 deaths per year, "three times more than road accidents". About pesticides, the journalist Estelle Saget has chosen to highlight the risks ... for the housewife who sprays her green plants too much. "Employees and individuals often use the same substances", she explains, before acknowledging that "professionals are exposed to it more strongly and for longer". They are considered "sentinels", explains Professor Marcel Goldberg, researcher at Inserm and coordinator of the "epidemiology of professional cancers" pole created by the Association for Cancer Research (ARC). The journalist of L'Express evokes pell-mell in what she calls "the scandal of workers exposed to carcinogenic products": asbestos, solvents, formaldehyde, but also dust of wood, flour, cereals, leather, cement or textile.

(Daily press review of the Agrobiosciences Mission. March 24, 2006 in Figaro, Liberation, Le Monde and L'Express)

See also a presentation of the CEREPHY survey on phytosanitary products and other epidemiological studies on the site of Institute of Public Health, Epidemiology and Development (ISPED) of the Victor Segalen University of Bordeaux-

http://www.isped.u-bordeaux2.fr/RECHERC ... icides.htm

http://www.agrobiosciences.org/article. ... ticle=1705
0 x
lau
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by lau » 27/03/06, 09:56

When we handle toxic products, we cannot hope to arrive in our centenary and in good health.
In the 50s and 60s there was a boom in all-purpose chemical treatments in agriculture, with the addition of mineral fertilizers and weed killers. At that time people hardly protected themselves, ditto in the industry with asbestos or the mines with coal.
My father at the time, a farm worker, almost went blind by sulfating apple trees with methyl parathion. It was not uncommon at the time, in very small farms, to see mules fall to the ground that had not supported the sulfation vapors.
Today, in what state of health are these people who started working with chemistry in the 50s / 60s?
Currently we protect ourselves better with all the existing paraphernalia but the handling of treatment products is very disparate depending on the crop. Viticulture is unfortunately an environment where treatments are legion. The plant is constantly prey to parasites or diseases and therefore, from April to August the sulphate works at full speed!
I have a thought for the employees, of poor conditions, often of foreign origins, and who sometimes carry out these thankless tasks; the worst is the treatments in the greenhouses by strong heat and without protections ... how do you want these people to end? : Evil:
Me I blame some irresponsible bosses who leave their workers without combinations and especially boxes like Rhone Poulenc or Basf who sell all this shit.
0 x
The number of molecules in a drop of water is equal to the number of drop that contains the Black Sea!
vtajmb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

numbers and letters...

by vtajmb » 28/03/06, 07:53

extract from a slideshow that I wrote to facilitate viticulture meetings:

- pesticides and health: in my village (Bué en Sancerrois - 18); 350 inhabitants, 31 wine farms; 2 ex-widowed winegrowers, and… 17 widows of winegrowers or ex-winegrowers…
- soil compaction and pollution: in 1960, a straddle is 20 to 40 HP and weighs a maximum of two tonnes; in 2006, "it takes" 100 to 150 CV and five tonnes (sometimes more!)… to do the same job; find the mistake !
- food and pesticides: in the Picardy orchard, at least 25 treatments are carried out annually, while, since its creation, the pre-orchard of the agro-ecologist Georges TOUTAIN has never received pesticides!
- climatic evolution: the average date of the start of the current harvest is 10 days earlier than the 70s…

Economy can rhyme with ecology and agronomy; for ten years, we have learned not to do:
- do not treat: the best pesticide remains on the distributor shelf; tractor saves the most in the garage
- do not go up the earth, but prevent it from going down
- do not unpack the soil, but avoid settling!
- do not harvest green, but apply a reasonable harvest load from the start
- do not leaf, but optimize the number of branches per vine and their distribution to avoid leaf stripping
etc ...
0 x
JMB
toftof
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by toftof » 18/04/06, 21:52

I have your reflections for proof, I am in organic conversion because phytos, I have full back and in addition it costs dear.
When I come back from placing an insecticide on cereale and bleeding from the nose, there is no longer any doubt, we are going to gobble up these poisons! Now, I hope that many other farmers are becoming aware of it.
0 x
vtajmb
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

and the hedges?

by vtajmb » 25/04/06, 09:30

Each pest of each crop has its predators. It is still necessary that the insecticide which makes you bleed from the nose does not destroy it! Still it must be able to have a refuge near your field! So to get rid of this fucking insecticide, you have to identify the pest that is compromising your crop, then find out which auxiliaries are the predators. Finally, if you are replanting a hedge, make sure that the shrub species chosen are host plants for the maximum of effective auxiliaries to control all the crops you practice. Plants in as many different species as possible: this is called biodiversity!

Good luck: it's couillu to go into organic: nothing is done (outside your conscience) to encourage you ... But, alongside a number of predictable bowls, you will quickly intense joys ...
0 x
JMB
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 19/11/06, 02:10

http://tf1.lci.fr/infos/sciences/0,,335 ... lade-.html

Pesticides: victory for a sick farmer November 17, 2006
After 4 years of procedure, a mutual finally recognized occupational disease of a Lorraine farmer. He had developed a blood disease after being exposed for years to phytosanitary products.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 08/06/07, 15:41

A text which seems to me worthy of interest and worthy of taking the time to read it and which emanates from kokopelli:

"If we are to believe the latest press release from Ms. Lagarde, Minister of Agriculture, we are far from going from lies to the truth! While the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has just declared, in early May 2007, that Organic Agriculture can feed the whole planet without negative impact on the environment, Madam Minister gives us the big joke of reasoned agriculture as being the ecological agriculture of the future.

No, Madame Lagarde, sustainable agriculture is not sustainable agriculture that respects the environment. Sustainable agriculture is only one variant of the “irrational” and toxic agriculture that has raged for 60 years, which has been implemented and supported by all governments (regardless of their political coloring) and which has makes France an agricultural bin that generates cancer. The only sustainable agriculture is agriculture without pesticides, without synthetic inputs and without genetic chimeras and which implements cultural practices stemming as much from peasant traditions as from agro-ecological research.

No, Madame Lagarde, agricultural growth and sustainability cannot be reconciled. The water tables are empty, the soils are dead, the rivers are polluted, the pollinators have been eradicated, the atmosphere of the capital is vitiated by pesticides and toxic agriculture is partly responsible for global warming since it releases CO2.

We understand very well your wish “to restore the prestige of farmers” because it has, in fact, suffered a great deal from the terrible damage caused by toxic agriculture for half a century. We understand much less your wish for agriculture “to complete reconciliation with society”. Do you sincerely think that she has already started to reconcile? And what does she have, moreover, to be forgiven?
Organic Agriculture represents barely 2% of the agricultural area while toxic agriculture continues to impose its genetic chimeras (refused by the French people) including a Monsanto corn strictly prohibited by experts from seven European countries because of the danger it poses to human health.

No, Madame Lagarde, you cannot talk about food security when the pesticide scandal is coming to light. Poisonous agriculture produces poisonous foods that generate allergies, cancer and other degenerative diseases.

We denounce, first of all, the scandal of necro-fuels which will generate food insecurity all over the planet while intensifying environmental pollution due to productivist agriculture.

We denounce the poisoning campaign of the Farre association which, in partnership with GNIS, and other companies in the sector, has just adopted the false slogan “With reasoned agriculture, let's sow biodiversity”. The Farre association, with less than a thousand members of which only a part are farmers, must barely represent 0,1% of French farmers! It was created in 1993 by the UIPP, the Union of Industrialists in Plant Protection (in fact, the Promoters of Pesticides). Sustainable farming disseminates pesticides and not biodiversity.

By the way, it is Kokopelli who sows biodiversity in France and that is why we are brought before the courts of the Republic!

The Farre association is just a farce and facade of the UIPP whose director, Jean-Charles Bocquet, has just declared in a recent editorial that he could not imagine a world without pesticides. We can imagine it since the UIPP brings together all the big names in agro-chemistry: Monsanto, Syngenta, Bayer, BASF, Du Pont de Nemours, Dow Agrosciences, Cheminova, etc. According to Mr. Bocquet, thanks to pesticides, the 20th century was a century without famines. Really? 36 people who starve to death every day, that ends up making hundreds of millions of planetary citizens who die before age. Mr. Bocquet was probably referring to “western” famines.

If we take stock of French agriculture, we have 1,5% organic farming, 0,1% “reasoned” agriculture and 98% “irrational” agriculture. And irrational agriculture seems very stable, as for its practices, since the last figures of sales of pesticides which we have (for the year 2005) testify to an increase of approximately 5%.

So we have on the one hand the UIPP which cannot imagine a world without pesticides and on the other hand the FAO which affirms that organic farming can feed the whole planet without destroying the integrity of ecosystems. Who to believe? Poison sellers or United Nations agricultural experts?

There is only one possible ecological “break”, that is the promotion of Organic Agriculture. But the real one, not the one that the European Commission is proposing to us under the pressure of lobbies with specifications which would rather be “discharge” notebooks: a pinch of pesticides here, a little genetic contamination by there, and a handful of inputs from transgenic cultures ...

As for the Grenelle de l'Environnement, if it is up to the current ambitions of the Ministry of Agriculture, in terms of protecting the environment and citizens, it would probably be better to stay at home and cultivate your garden. It would not be surprising, moreover, to see the multinationals of agro-chemistry invited to the table. Don't they pretend to work with “life sciences”? We can already imagine beautiful sustainable slogans “To fight against global warming, sow genetic chimeras”.

And if we proposed a counterforum? We could call her “Négrelle de l'Environnement” and we could invite all the oppressed people of globalization there: the slaves of the sugar cane plantations in Brazil who make ethanol for the cars of France, the immigrant slaves in the greenhouses of vegetables of the south of Spain, the Colombian peasants chased by the militias which implant oil palms for the vegetable diesel of the cars of the rich, the Mexican peasants for which the price of the tortilla increased by 160% following the ethanol boom in the USA, Indonesian peasants tortured from whom land and forests are stolen to plant monocultures, Argentinian peasants chased from their land by soy madness to fatten Western cows, African peasants ruined by the dumping of crops subsidized by Europe, Paraguayan peasants burnt by Syngenta paraquat spread by air before direct sowing of transgenic soybeans that, the French peasants suffering from Parkinson's disease following exposure to pesticides, the Indian peasants who commit suicide by tens of thousands ruined by the transgenic cotton from Monsanto, the peasants from Central America who die in banana plantations, from Dow Agrosciences' Nemagon and the 10-year-old Argentinian boys who run with red flags under the planes spreading Monsanto's RoundUp on the fields of transgenic soybeans so that the precious glyphosate does not miss its target ....

All this, not to indulge in pain. But to repeat and prove that modern Western agriculture is killing and to affirm that tomorrow, everything is possible.

Even a world without pesticides.

Dominique Guillet. June 7, 2007. "
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 09/06/07, 22:46

: Arrow: Subscribed to their newsletter I had already read ...

I take this opportunity to link their site: kokopelli as advocated by netiquette and our webmaster.:D
: Cry: I did not manage to find the info on their site ...
Would it be accessible only to subscribers of their newsletter. :?:
0 x