My vegetable garden at 54

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

My vegetable garden at 54

by Gardenerof54 » 06/05/21, 20:11

Hello everybody

I introduce myself Jérôme soon to be 42 years old married and father of 2 granddaughters who are 5 and 8 years old. I own a house with a plot of land of around 2500 m2, we live in Lorraine in the 54 but close to the Vosges. My project: to be able to indulge myself in my vegetable garden with different seasonal vegetables because I also like to cook. I currently only operate the greenhouse (60 m2), the greenhouse soil as well as the part that I would like to use for the vegetable garden has not been returned for 5 years (since we have been the owner). just know that the previous owner did not use fertilizers and pesticides, I do not know if my land is clay or sandy or other only my neighbor who tells me that we have good soil :D . I am lucky to have a well and 2 rainwater collectors (around 1800l for the 2).
I have been interested in permaculture for a few years and so far I have only used the greenhouse for the summer (tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, watermelons, melons). In autumn 2019, following some advice on the internet, I decided to put boxes on the surface in my greenhouse and water a little (an 11l watering can once a week). I collect tomato plants and there the drama in May 2020 no weeds but hard soil and suddenly the year was not great in terms of harvest. Realizing the lack of water in the fall of 2020, I change my method I straw with dead leaves fallen from my many trees on the ground with fern and fir needles, I water with 3 watering cans (fish aquarium water plus water from rain) with a drip system (2x per week) and once a month I water abundantly with water from the well. 1 days ago I managed to remove some nettles easily with the roots and there this afternoon I dig in several places to put pots in the ground (capacity 2l) to apply the oylas system (cork stopper for the hole and only a cover over it). Miracle a loose earth I was like a kid with a toy, I saw several worms almost no slugs (ferns?), I was a little sorry to have disturbed them but too happy life resumed in my greenhouse. A regret not to have known Didier and his wonderful vegetable garden before as well as this forum. I have collected 5 small bales of straws (too late to collect more) so I will just do a small plank but next fall I should collect a lot more normally. If some people say to themselves why oyas I answered a dream or rather a bet: to be able to leave for 2 weeks in August and therefore not to water. : Wink: .
FF1CCCD4-D5DD-4E87-8AC0-F38E88FCADF5.jpeg
Attachments
7C90BB1B-7050-4DAB-B87A-E21185BC44A8.jpeg
My watering system tastes like a drip
1CB54B24-3618-433C-AA0A-08F997372D01.jpeg
Future location for tomato plants with oyas
EAC1AF71-E15C-487F-B5EB-2A79B849B89C.jpeg
Future vegetable garden with a few squares made previously
2 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My vegetable garden at 54

by Moindreffor » 06/05/21, 20:41

Hello
nice surface of land which seems quite flat, it is good water at discretion that is also Top
I read that you talk about aquarium water, wells and your oyas for 15 days of vacation, so I allow myself to bounce back on it, as a former aquarist I know from experience that leaving 15 days is absolutely not a problem for an aquarium, if you prepare it beforehand, it will live its life quietly even without any care during the period, maybe a few plants nibbled by herbivores : Mrgreen: so for the vegetable garden it's the same, 15 days without watering even in a greenhouse, it can be okay provided you prepare well, you have water so a super good watering before leaving, to soak the ground with water and leave it open, so that the temperatures do not rise to the extreme would have been sufficient

you start here, and you will see that the less we do, the better it goes : Mrgreen:

for mulching, are you talking about straw or hay ?, here we rather use hay, but many have tested the straw too, me the first and I was disappointed by it with respect to the hay, that's it 'is the experience beyond the more theoretical explanations that you can find here too

good luck
and good project
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 06/05/21, 20:58

Moindreffor wrote:Hello
nice surface of land which seems quite flat, it is good water at discretion that is also Top
I read that you talk about aquarium water, wells and your oyas for 15 days of vacation, so I allow myself to bounce back on it, as a former aquarist I know from experience that leaving 15 days is absolutely not a problem for an aquarium, if you prepare it beforehand, it will live its life quietly even without any care during the period, maybe a few plants nibbled by herbivores : Mrgreen: so for the vegetable garden it's the same, 15 days without watering even in a greenhouse, it can be okay provided you prepare well, you have water so a super good watering before leaving, to soak the ground with water and leave it open, so that the temperatures do not rise to the extreme would have been sufficient

you start here, and you will see that the less we do, the better it goes : Mrgreen:

for mulching, are you talking about straw or hay ?, here we rather use hay, but many have tested the straw too, me the first and I was disappointed by it with respect to the hay, that's it 'is the experience beyond the more theoretical explanations that you can find here too

good luck
and good project

Hi Moindreffor,

Yes beautiful surface after a good big game will remain on the lawn for madam and my daughters, I expressed myself badly about the aquarium it's just 2 goldfish that are in it without bubbler, the person who sold us the food for them fish advised us to change every day 1/3 of the aquarium water so rather than throw the water I had the idea to use it in the greenhouse so I fill with water from the aquarium my watering can every day and as soon as it is full (after 3 days) I empty it into my drip system plus 2 rainwater watering cans. Of course when I go on vacation someone will take care of them. For mulching in fact I have 2 bales of straw that I asked a farmer before seeing Didier's videos, I'm just going to mulch the tomato plants, since yesterday I have recovered 5 bales of hay that I'm going soon to be used for my vegetable garden which is pictured in front of the greenhouse.
thank you for your advice
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/05/21, 10:31

The hardest part remains: learning to ask yourself what not to do in order to be successful. And wean yourself off all the stuff that "we told you" had to be done ...

For the straw: take a piss on it - so in order: have a little coffee, then a second ... The urge to piss should not be long ... Take a "little tour" in the vegetable garden to see this who moved - or not! By the way, piss on the bale of straw ... And declare that all is well!
1 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 07/05/21, 11:58

Did67 wrote:The hardest part remains: learning to ask yourself what not to do in order to be successful. And wean yourself off all the stuff that "we told you" had to be done ...

For the straw: take a piss on it - so in order: have a little coffee, then a second ... The urge to piss should not be long ... Take a "little tour" in the vegetable garden to see this who moved - or not! By the way, piss on the bale of straw ... And declare that all is well!

Hello Didier

I'm taking a treatment to make me desensitize to an allergy won't it end up in my urine? Moreover, if I put the straw on the tomato plants, it might not be harmful if it is not diluted?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/05/21, 12:46

Jardinierdu54 wrote:Hi Moindreffor,

Yes beautiful surface after a good big game will remain on the lawn for madam and my daughters, I expressed myself badly about the aquarium it's just 2 goldfish that are in it without bubbler, the person who sold us the food for them fish advised us to change every day 1/3 of the aquarium water so rather than throw the water I had the idea to use it in the greenhouse so I fill with water from the aquarium my watering can every day and as soon as it is full (after 3 days) I empty it into my drip system plus 2 rainwater watering cans. Of course when I go on vacation someone will take care of them. For mulching in fact I have 2 bales of straw that I asked a farmer before seeing Didier's videos, I'm just going to mulch the tomato plants, since yesterday I have recovered 5 bales of hay that I'm going soon to be used for my vegetable garden which is pictured in front of the greenhouse.

ah the famous goldfish in a bowl, if it's just a ball, there is not much to do, although, if you want to make their life more pleasant, there is a way, just tell me if that interests you
piss on the bale of straw, will cause your urine to be degraded with the treatment that is inside, a chemist like me will be tempted to tell you that the risks are very, very minimal, or even zero, at the other end one eco-friendly, will tell you that you risk cancer within 15 days, you see where you fall between the two : Mrgreen: , for me a treatment that enters from one side, cannot come out more harmful from another side : Mrgreen:
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 07/05/21, 12:58

Ooh it all looks very promising :)
The greenhouse is great how lucky it is!
Welcome and so hay hay hay the little vegetable gardens of the lazy : Lol:
1 x
it depends
Did67

by Did67 » 07/05/21, 16:31

Jardinierdu54 wrote:
Hello Didier

I'm taking a treatment to make me desensitize to an allergy won't it end up in my urine? Moreover, if I put the straw on the tomato plants, it might not be harmful if it is not diluted?

Cardiac, I take much worse !!! [desensitization, unless I am mistaken, it consists in putting your body in contact with allergens at increasing levels, in order, in a way, to teach it not to overreact; I think it's nothing like a nuisance!]

The question remains.

My answer is worth what it is, because no one has studied the fate of these molecules in a soil! So "we allow ourselves to think". Failing to know.

1) These molecules are certainly chemical, but organic: they are more or less stable - rather less and in any case much less than the copper in Bordeaux mixture! They more or less "mimic" (not always, but sometimes) natural molecules ... which are in nature. When a mole rat dies, it's a cocktail of organic molecules, some of which are very complex ...

2) They are already demantibulated in our body - that's why we have to take back our pill every day! Otherwise, we would put the right dose in the body and stop taking it! These are therefore metabolites that are found in the urine ...

3) Our environment is polluted "without our knowing it"! Just the fallout from human activities (including treatments, but that's by far not all - emissions from our cars, boilers, etc. - you stuck your nose in the smoke of a fire ??? tears ??? It's a real cocktail of things more or less nice from the family of cresols, creosotes, etc.)

4) Such a molecule that can have a "beef" effect on my blood pressure can be perfectly indifferent when it comes to the soil, bacteria (which do not have a heart), fungi, worms ... I think that it is 'is often the case ... Slugs eat away at mushrooms which have a "buff" effect on us when they don't shoot us! They find it good and go 10 or 20 meters to feast ...

So I still use my urine. At a "reasonable" dose. But it's the excess nitrogen (from urea) that I fear for my plants. And the excess salt (sodium) for my soil! I would rather not have my metabolites from my meds in it - because I would rather not have to take my meds!
2 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 07/05/21, 18:07

Moindreffor wrote:
Jardinierdu54 wrote:Hi Moindreffor,

ah the famous goldfish in a bowl, if it's just a ball, there is not much to do, although, if you want to make their life more pleasant, there is a way, just tell me if that interests you
piss on the bale of straw, will cause your urine to be degraded with the treatment that is inside, a chemist like me will be tempted to tell you that the risks are very, very minimal, or even zero, at the other end one eco-friendly, will tell you that you risk cancer within 15 days, you see where you fall between the two : Mrgreen: , for me a treatment that enters from one side, cannot come out more harmful from another side : Mrgreen:

The story concerning these famous goldfish dates from a fun fair where my daughters asked for them as a gift to duck fishing, a little against the advice of Madame :D suddenly the deal was ok and well you take care of it, the orange at 2 and a half years and the other 4 months because another died in the meantime, afterwards you can always tell me what could interest me : Wink:
Regarding the subject of pee, I was tempted by the experience so no worries.
Attachments
4D46BDAE-C8AC-4172-90A2-F379C67A564E.jpeg
Here are the famous cattle lol
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 07/05/21, 18:08

Alkaline wrote:Ooh it all looks very promising :)
The greenhouse is great how lucky it is!
Welcome and so hay hay hay the little vegetable gardens of the lazy : Lol:

Thank you Alcaline I saw your post nice job : Wink:
1 x