Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

by VetusLignum » 20/05/20, 01:39

3 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Are "forest gardens" the future of our vegetable gardens?

by Moindreffor » 20/05/20, 09:50

look at the size of the pond, count the number of species it cites, and ask yourself how much it can feed people with that
and you will understand that it is an experiment
yes we can produce, but for which population for which surface? and there you will have the beginning of an answer
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 20/05/20, 10:39

Moindreffor wrote:look at the size of the pond, count the number of species it cites, and ask yourself how much it can feed people with that
and you will understand that it is an experiment
yes we can produce, but for which population for which surface? and there you will have the beginning of an answer

I think there is potential to produce a lot of food:

There is a completely different way of gardening, with little or no need for watering, self-sustaining fertility, and totally different interventions.

But that means changing all your habits, especially with regard to the plants you eat.
I am particularly concerned that in more northern climates, some plants will lack sunlight.
In addition, it takes some time for it to fall into place.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 20/05/20, 11:20

yes if you need 10 years to set up and in addition you need the Sun, it's grated for a lot of region
good in the South I think it's been a long time since they know the shade of the trees,

the new "bobo" speak of "forest-gardens" they have just reinvented lukewarm water, and it's creating a buzz especially on all those who want "green" after several generations of "gray-concrete"

a friend's son, who has garden fruits at his disposal, makes dandelion jams, that's trendy, he could have remained classic, with redcurrants, rhubarb, cherries, apples but no?

so for me you have to let dream
1 x
(of me)
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 20/05/20, 12:27

Thanks for the info on these "gardens".
Knowing nothing about it, I nevertheless hear the 3D vs 2D argument well.

I also listened to this feedback with memories of Didier's remark which says that the forest can take over when man stops intervening. Here the man still intervenes, but for a forest ... so it's good I think.

Question for connoisseurs: why this need to give Latin names? Personally it doesn't speak to me at all.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 20/05/20, 13:06

taam wrote: Here the man still intervenes, but for a forest ... so it's good I think.

well it is useless if the Man does not intervene, the forest arrives all alone, there one wants to make believe that one can cultivate a forest-garden, the butter and the money of the butter
our vegetables are field plants, wanting to grow them in the shade of trees is a utopia or there are not too many trees and therefore we must not speak of forest .. and therefore c 'is once again a choice of vocabulary to be attractive, to create a buzz, so from the start there is "deception", so for me the result is illusory, after 10 years the trees are still young for the real trees , so to do with 10 more years when the trees will have grown 4 or 5m more

talking about the forest after 10 years is ridiculous ...
1 x
(of me)
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 20/05/20, 13:19

Bof for me who just notices the misdeeds of the man, I do not find that there is deception.
A diversity of ideas seems welcome. And for once when I see a "young" on such a video and not an old gardener, great : Cheesy:

As for making buzz, if it's to put trees, no problem, right?
There will always be time to plan a raft to harvest on the surface within a few decades : Wink:
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/05/20, 13:29

Yes, but you will have to row hard ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 20/05/20, 13:37

taam wrote:Bof for me who just notices the misdeeds of the man, I do not find that there is deception.
A diversity of ideas seems welcome. And for once when I see a "young" on such a video and not an old gardener, great : Cheesy:

I’m talking about deception because the youngster in question presents you with something old like the world, with new terms, another one that rediscovers what some people did empirically before he just uses current science to make something new

you think that the guys from the middle ages and those from before would have been pissed at clearing if there had been a way to cultivate in the forest : Mrgreen:

remember that the forest environment is very poor and therefore not conducive to significant production
0 x
(of me)
taam
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by taam » 20/05/20, 14:04

Moindreffor wrote:you think that the guys from the middle ages and those from before would have been pissed at clearing if there had been a way to cultivate in the forest : Mrgreen:

remember that the forest environment is very poor and therefore not conducive to significant production
Bah, a simple pendulum movement in the other direction. In this sense it suits me.

I am willing to believe that the forest environment is poor, yet it is the "economic model" chosen by nature.
Personally, I don't see what a production is for. important ... Is this the guy's goal?
Whatever the outcome here, there will be trees.
0 x