Hay vs live kitchen garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Hay vs live kitchen garden

by Paul72 » 23/02/20, 10:56

Hello,

I've been cultivating for a long time, including using hay as a source of nutritious mulch (at least 8 years, it's really better than straw ...).
I am fortunate to have land, part with very good rich and deep soil, but on the north side of the buildings (cold for 6 months, hot and humid in summer because many trees not far away and sheltered from winds). Another part in natural meadow (rich of more than 50 plant species) with more mediocre, acid and stony soil, rock between 0 and 40cm deep (average 25cm). but rather highly productive (up to 2m in height before mowing in places). This plot is very sunny, gently sloping south slope and the clay-siliceous earth heats rather well.
I have about 150m² of vegetable patch on each side.
The issues now (because if I am not really lazy, I like not to waste my time in unnecessary efforts and therefore be efficient. Which is rather a good definition ...):
I can make enough hay per year to theoretically cover up to 400 or even 500m² of vegetable garden (according to data from did67) but in practice, as it is exhausting to move long distances, I now prefer to use it in the immediate vicinity. (even if it means enlarging the vegetable garden on the "bad" soil)
So, on the part far from everything, to the north but with the right soil, the idea would be to inspire me with crops on permanent cover, using "green manures", alone or in mixture. This is where I would mainly need advice, it is not a method that I have yet to experiment. And of course the goal is not to bury them as recommended in the manuals of the "good organic gardener", but to leave this work to the small inhabitants of the soil.

this northern land will be mainly intended for cultivating carrots, leeks, celery, beans, peas, squash, potatoes, strawberries, salads etc ... which supports a short season, the ambient humidity, likes the deep grounds. The ideal would therefore be a priori to sow a green manure in early autumn to occupy the land, but a mixture that makes a large biomass to have good spring cover and avoid unwanted emergence (rye, mustard, other? ). interlining and occupation culture in summer with buckwheat and clover-like stuff (others?)
And this land already receives the brf produced when there is (primarily strawberries)

And on the south side, therefore, it's already (more or less, not thick enough last summer) full hay. Produced on site, because here there is never a bale of lost with all the farmed farms (shortage this year, they feed with silage at the moment)
it will not be a surprise but the improvement of the land is quite spectacular after a few years. Including in the middle of the field where I leave about half of the hay to mulch the rows of young fruit trees (ah yes, I planted and grafted a little hundred lol).

It will only remain to put photos ... in the next episode

Last tip: I was offered Didier's book at Christmas (with whom I had discussed hay issues quite a few years ago on another forum), I read it with great pleasure! : Wink:
1 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Hay vegetable garden vs living canopy

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 10/03/20, 00:32

We will visualize better with the photos actually : Wink:
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 13/03/20, 21:13

Hello,

Yes it would be better but I still don't know how to do it here (is there a photo host here?)
I can show you the vegetable patch in the middle of the meadow. in fact if it weren't for the turnips in bloom, it would be hard to find it in the middle of the grass : Cheesy:
For the moment, I'm just letting the herbs grow (lack of fresh hay), and as soon as I need to plant something (too small onions from last year for example, shallots), a good brushcutter shot close to the ground and a good big layer of rye and grass straw (I only have that for the moment, the hay will have to wait a little more month before starting to make it).
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/03/20, 00:30

For photos it's super simple, you just have to drag it into your post window

Look below there is an attachments tab
The photo will "appear" there
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/03/20, 12:04

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:For photos it's super simple, you just have to drag it into your post window

Well then! : Shock:

You just taught me that drag & drop was possible on the forum! : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/03/20, 14:27

Christophe wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:For photos it's super simple, you just have to drag it into your post window

Well then! : Shock:

You just taught me that drag & drop was possible on the forum! : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Ah yes :?: :?: :?:

I only use this for all "trips" where possible.

But I always work with the paddle lined with a mouse so it's maybe easier than with the mouse alone

I admit that I did it without thinking.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/03/20, 14:53

In my opinion it is a function that recent versions of browsers allow ... because no notice of forum never talked about this feature!

In short, so much the better! 8)
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 14/03/20, 14:59

Christophe wrote:In my opinion it is a function that recent versions of browsers allow ... because no notice of forum never talked about this feature!

In short, so much the better! 8)

Navigator? IE, Chrome et cie?

Personally I have been using Palemoon for ..... that Firefox has become impossible to customize so there is a lease
0 x
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 25/03/20, 09:37

For the moment, given the temperatures of the next 10 days (winter ...), everything is going on in the greenhouse: the green beans (finally purple) are out, the carrots too, salads galore, and BF15 potatoes which are starting well ( outside too, those forgotten). the tomatoes benefit from the daytime heat and harden from the nighttime freshness. On the other hand, peppers, melons and cucumbers are still warm in the house ...

Small concern with jellies: almonds, apricots and peaches may suffer. for the moment it is limited to -1 ° C briefly, but if it were to drop to -3 ° C the young embryos could pass there.

outside, I have ground the plot which will host the potato crops under the cover of hay (which will be a little green) within a few months (or a fortnight)
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 25/03/20, 10:15

I started sowing in the greenhouse after a supply of compost, 40 l of sanitized urine, a stroke of grelinette and fang.

Can we already plant beans there? I hadn't thought about it, I'm going to do it right now. By the time they get out, the cold period will be over.
I did a temperature test a few cm deep, more than 15 °. How deep is this test in principle?
0 x