Our participatory garden in Moselle

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
emilio57
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Our participatory garden in Moselle

by emilio57 » 18/07/19, 18:18

Bonjour à tous

I would like your opinion on a project of an association in moselle-est that you can follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Les.Potes.a.Ge/

on a ground of 30 were floored last March, ground extremely (see integrally) sandblast:

We have in the past mulched strips, added leaves and composting surface. Image
Elsewhere, sown with mustard flowers, strips of potato under straw.

The soil left bare is so hard that you can not even pitch a fork without farting the handle.

The places covered by it pass, besides many things have come out spontaneously, but it is not yet that, and especially very poor (frequent hunger of nitrogen), the dryness in the east does not arrange anything.

I already have some questions:

- how to enrich our land, when to begin to amend manure (now or winter)?
- would hay be enough?
- we planted a lot of tomatoes too, should we water them frequently, they are mulched but seen the sandy land ??
thanks for your advices
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Our Participatory Garden in Moselle

by sicetaitsimple » 18/07/19, 19:10

emilio57 wrote:on a ground of 30 were floored last March, ground extremely (see integrally) sandblast:

Hello,

the picture is a bit scary, with the excavator at the bottom and earth movements that seem consistent when looking on the sides.

In practice, what corresponds to what, overwhelmed, compared to the initial state of the ground? There have been external contributions, on the contrary exports? It was stirred, but how many cm? etc etc ... Any indication will certainly be useful.
0 x
emilio57
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emilio57 » 18/07/19, 19:26

I add photos.

The work was led by a landscaper.
everything was stirred, but anyway there was not really any topsoil.
We are in a former coalfield, everywhere the land is extremely sandy.

0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/07/19, 20:44

emilio57 wrote:The work was led by a landscaper.

It would be very presumptuous of me to give advice, advisors are not the payers!
But in view of the first photo and the comment above (everything stirred up, little "vegetable" soil at the start), in the same situation if I understood it correctly, personally I would try to add massive compost platform before moving to a type system phenocultute based on regular inputs of biomass type hay, leaves, mowing ....
When everything was downgraded by important work, and in addition to the basic situation was not terrible, want to go back just by contributions of fresh biomass it will ask in my opinion years, and the worst is to become discouraged.

Others will certainly have additional or different opinions, I started first!

Good luck!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 18/07/19, 20:58

sicetaitsimple wrote:
emilio57 wrote:The work was led by a landscaper.

It would be very presumptuous of me to give advice, advisors are not the payers!
But in view of the first photo and the comment above (everything stirred up, little "vegetable" soil at the start), in the same situation if I understood it correctly, personally I would try to add massive compost platform before moving to a type system phenocultute based on regular inputs of biomass type hay, leaves, mowing ....
When everything was downgraded by important work, and in addition to the basic situation was not terrible, want to go back just by contributions of fresh biomass it will ask in my opinion years, and the worst is to become discouraged.

Others will certainly have additional or different opinions, I started first!

Good luck!

I know the situation, movement of earth after construction
I will be of the same opinion, since it is a municipal project, you must be able to recover broya of branches of all kinds, for a significant carbon contribution, I will also be of opinion not to count too much the first years to cultivate the totality
cover with straw, rather than hay, sow green manures, especially cover the maximum vegetation, even of the type cereals, wheat, corn, stuff not to leave bare soil
it is better a small success on a small surface than a great failure
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/07/19, 21:45

Moindreffor wrote: you must be able to get some broya from all kinds of branches

It's good, as I expected others to express themselves! But I am not a priori for the "shredding of branches", at least initially. I did speak of "compost", even if I know that this word can be a little taboo on it. forum!

The important thing is that this shared garden starts next year, otherwise it will be discouragement, abandonment, .... A "chopping of branches", it will only go in the direction of a hunger for 'nitrogen, it's not you who will say the opposite if I followed your vegetable garden adventures!

So of course in a few years, at a reasonable dose, it could be part of the "ration" of the soil.

But for the moment, I think (again based on what I understood, not adviser because not paying) that the important thing is to boost this area very quickly with inputs quickly available. Possibly even by contributions of synthetic fertilizer (or bios) at the beginning (not the head!)

The important thing is that it will produce next year!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/07/19, 21:55

Certainly! But the pedagogical aspect is not to neglect so far and, like the field, needs to be boosted! That's why I think part of the garden can be treated with shredded branches, even if it's not grown immediately, but it's the best way to instill thoughtful practices and effective restoration. ground.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/07/19, 22:22

Ahmed wrote:

Certainly! But the pedagogical aspect is not to neglect so far and, like the field, needs to be boosted! That's why I think part of the garden can be treated with shredded branches, even if it's not grown immediately, but it's the best way to instill thoughtful practices and effective restoration. ground.

Why not, but we have no idea how this garden is or will be managed. Individual plots or really collective area?

I do not doubt that the people involved in this project are eager to use thoughtful practices, I'm just saying that they have to be very excited and very eager to see results, the most important is there. If the contribution of shredded branches must wait two or three years it will not be a drama, if it pleases the harvest 2020 it will be from my point of view more annoying for the dynamics of the project.

It has nothing to do with the choices, the trials, ... that you make in your own vegetable garden by fully assuming them because you are the sole decision-maker and the only "beneficiary" of good or bad results, short, medium or long term.
0 x
emilio57
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by emilio57 » 18/07/19, 22:41

thanks for your advices,
I am of your opinion on your remarks, and we have the time, it is a project on long term.

to answer the questions:

it is not a shared shared garden or collective, rather a reception center for people in difficulty. We work with all kinds of associations.

for the biomass supply, that's what I'm always looking for, we track the farms, equestrian farms, we will even work with our local sorting system to recover the household waste sector.
we are already sowing green manures, mustard and phacelia, I am also thinking of putting cereal.
I should not say it, but to understand, we are in a region where politically social structures are despised, we do not rely on town halls and policies

thank you again for your opinion
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/07/19, 22:57

For the supply of biomass, that's what I'm looking for permanently, we track farms, equestrian farms, we will even work with our local sorting system to recover household waste sector.

Do not neglect the possibility of recovering size waste and all the branches that go to waste disposal sites and that cost a fortune to the communities *: these are interesting contributions ** and little sought because they require a transformation prior to their use.

* This cost is an objective argument likely to weigh more with the authorities than the social aspect ...

** See BRF to deepen this aspect.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."