Destruction of biodiversity for the sake of cleanliness

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Destruction of biodiversity for the sake of cleanliness

by VetusLignum » 24/06/19, 10:47

In response to the last did67 video:

Below, a YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPTOJm ... IWA/videos

Example:

The author, living around Bordeaux, continues to denounce "the destruction of nature", in particular, the grinding of grassy areas, which destroys both wild plants and the insects that live on them.
This grinding is probably done for the sake of cleanliness.

So my question is: have you observed, in your areas, excessive and unnecessary crushing of natural areas, or road edges; Or do you observe a return to this side?
Do you observe a reduction, or an increase in biodiversity (I am thinking in particular of butterflies)?
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Destruction of biodiversity for the sake of cleanliness

by Janic » 24/06/19, 11:06

may your question be wrong?
Are herbivores destroyers of biodiversity? No! But they do not devastate roughly wild areas that are allowed to respect this biodiversity. How many gardeners and gardeners do they hunt for the herbs in question, under the pretext of claiming all the fertility of the soil without taking into account that these plants participate in the equilibrium of these soils. But it is questioning a whole culture solely focused on personal and immediate profit. :(
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 24/06/19, 11:11

Janic wrote:may your question be wrong?
Are herbivores destroyers of biodiversity? No! But they do not devastate roughly wild areas that are allowed to respect this biodiversity. How many gardeners and gardeners do they hunt for the herbs in question, under the pretext of claiming all the fertility of the soil without taking into account that these plants participate in the equilibrium of these soils. But it is questioning a whole culture solely focused on personal and immediate profit. :(

What do you mean ?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/06/19, 11:15

VetusLignum wrote:In response to the last did67 video:

Below, a YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPTOJm ... IWA/videos

Example:

The author, living around Bordeaux, continues to denounce "the destruction of nature", in particular, the grinding of grassy areas, which destroys both wild plants and the insects that live on them.
This grinding is probably done for the sake of cleanliness.

So my question is: have you observed, in your areas, excessive and unnecessary crushing of natural areas, or road edges; Or do you observe a return to this side?
Do you observe a reduction, or an increase in biodiversity (I am thinking in particular of butterflies)?

at my home the fishing company makes the guéguerre with the employers communaux or the road to leave the banks and a zone as wide as possible grassed but the proximity of the road requires for safety a certain cleaning, but in fact one sees more and more late mowing areas
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/06/19, 11:25

In my corner (but I think it must be fairly generalizable), I observe a tendency to oppose "traditional" practices of intensive and large-scale grinding (with, however, slight spacings in time and space). which are not only due to environmental considerations, but also [above all?] economic) and rather "cutting-edge" management practices in small spaces which serve as "green" showcases, with late mowing and export of biomass. .
Overall, it does not change much and biodiversity is at the edge of daisies: birds and insects are the costs and, as for butterflies, I see very little *.

* A few decades ago, all drugstores sold butterfly nets as the summer approached and it became an article not found because it was useless.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/06/19, 11:30

Ahmed wrote:In my corner (but I think it must be fairly generalizable), I observe a tendency to oppose "traditional" practices of intensive and large-scale grinding (with, however, slight spacings in time and space). which are not only due to environmental considerations, but also [above all?] economic) and rather "cutting-edge" management practices in small spaces which serve as "green" showcases, with late mowing and export of biomass. .
Overall, it does not change much and biodiversity is at the edge of daisies: birds and insects are the costs and, as for butterflies, I see very little *.

* A few decades ago, all drugstores sold butterfly nets as the summer approached and it became an article not found because it was useless.

this late mowing should be associated with the rebuilding of habitats, hedges in particular
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 24/06/19, 11:35

Moindreffor wrote:at my home the fishing company makes the guéguerre with the employers communaux or the road to leave the banks and a zone as wide as possible grassed but the proximity of the road requires for safety a certain cleaning, but in fact one sees more and more late mowing areas

Even the late mowing, it would be better that, on the one hand, it is really late, and that on the other hand, it is really a mowing, not a grinding.

Well, if not, those who order these "mowsings" are often local politicians.
So, if they do this, it is because certain citizens are putting pressure on them to be "clean".
Do you have an idea of ​​the sociology of these citizens? In your opinion, could young people be more sensitive to biodiversity?
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 24/06/19, 11:49

Ahmed wrote:* A few decades ago, all drugstores sold butterfly nets as the summer approached and it became an article not found because it was useless.

Note that, while it is undoubtedly beneficial to attract butterflies with Buddleias, the most important thing is to make sure that the plants on which the caterpillars feed are not destroyed.
Last edited by VetusLignum the 24 / 06 / 19, 12: 05, 2 edited once.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/06/19, 11:52

Moindreffor, you write:
this late mowing should be associated with the rebuilding of habitats, hedges in particular

This is often done in these tight spaces that often arise from new development projects. This is possible thanks to the employment of professionals * who are really competent in the field and even if big slumps ** are observed in the preliminary operations which are done with big means and with more the respect of the schedule of the works than of the nature (it is obviously not part of the DNA of these companies rather oriented TP!

* That I willingly and without malice adorn the term "rustinologists" ... : Wink:
** We are often more in the approach "we smash everything and we restore" than in an adaptation of the means to the ends ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/06/19, 12:07

Attention, there may still be some imperatives, for example the fight against the spread of the thistle, which impose these mowing.
0 x