Lactic fermentation of waste, a way of recycling organic waste of the future?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Lactic fermentation of waste, a way of recycling organic waste of the future?

by izentrop » 12/06/19, 11:07

Hello,
The principle this composting of organic materials is to promote lactic fermentation, energy conservative and not the alcoholic fermentation (yeasts) producing CO2, nor the production of methane (strict anaerobic).
In addition, seeds and pathogens must be destroyed, as well as by the thermal phase of a heap compost? ... ideal for planting shots :?:

It is done in 2 time : lactic fermentation that destructures the material without loss of energy, then incorporation into the soil avoiding the thermal phase, either by burying quite deep, or by mixing with the surface soil so that it benefits a maximum to the life of the soil by emitting the least possible greenhouse gas ...
The goal is also to accelerate the carbon cycle in the best conditions, without pollution or GHG, restore the soil cultivated, reduce our dependence on petroleum-based fertilizer ... Finally that good in my opinion?

I still have to experiment. Some did it with great results https://www.aujardin.org/viewtopic.php? ... 1&start=30

What plagues the method is the fact of having to redeem these mysterious MEs, but there is no mystery ...

The method is simple :
Split the waste.
Mix them with carbonaceous material, such as cereals, dried leaves, chips, so as not to make cork rot, so that air and water can circulate and ensure a favorable C / N.
It is often recommended molasses, which can not be found easily, but perhaps a little sugar to help start fermentation?
Avoid rotten and moldy parts that could evolve into putrefaction.
Pack to remove any air pockets.
Make sure the ideal moisture of the pressed sponge, otherwise add water.
Adding a yoghurt whey lactic ferment with water to impregnate the whole (well that's what I would do and that's what was done here https://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/ ... r-culture/)
Finally cover with a sheet of newspaper or other, the last waste so that they are not in contact with the air contained in the container. https://newspaperbokashi.wordpress.com/ ... i-secrets/

Study that shows the advantage Lactic fermentation of waste https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/N ... 8020b85115

Study showing that leachate is better than lombri-compost https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/E ... fd50a46904

When the container is full, I think it should not have any effect on burying the contents deep enough for the well-started fermentation to continue in the soil? and blows, only one bucket would suffice. : Wink:
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lactic fermentation of waste, a way of recycling organic waste of the future?

by izentrop » 16/06/19, 18:45

Well, I made my lactic acid fermenter of 200 liters.

The ripening raspberries were overgrown with large nettles, so rather than picking them up in a beekeeper's outfit. : Mrgreen:
I pulled everything out ... nettles, but no question of putting them in compost, or in mulching, because of the seeds.
Blows, I thought about lactofermentation.

I had already been with tap that had served as a reserve of water. I cut 2 discs in 4 plastic mm thick. Bricks in the background. a disk pierced with holes above. The second disc with a central button as cover to ensure airtightness. A top cover for rain-tightness ... and you're done ...
Nothing but recycling. : Wink:

I spent everything in my knife mill, then packed all that in the past ... About 120 liters of minced nettles. :D
Previously I had prepared a chilled 100 g of my natural leaven with ground wheat and water.

Yesterday evening, I mixed this fermented leaven with 20 liters of rainwater, then watered to inoculate well with lactobacilli.
This morning I have already recovered ten liters of a dark juice with a very good scented smell, but not yet acid. I used it, diluted to water tomatoes, squash and flowers.

Following the next number. :P
Attachments
HachisOrtie.jpg
HachisOrtie.jpg (232.85 Kio) Viewed 6860 times
futPret.jpg
futPret.jpg (182.99 KIO) Accessed 6860 times
futEntier.jpg
wasIntier.jpg (386.87 Kio) Viewed 6860 times
broyeur.jpg
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lactic fermentation of waste, a way of recycling organic waste of the future?

by sicetaitsimple » 16/06/19, 19:31

izentrop wrote:This morning I have already recovered ten liters of a dark juice with a very good fragrant smell, but not yet acidic. I used it, diluted to sprinkle tomatoes, squash and flowers. The next issue. :P

I think I understood your very clear explanation with the support of the photos.
The question is "what's next" as you see it?
Do you water from time to time to collect a percolate? Do you possibly supplement with other biomass? Or you leave it like this, how long, and what do you do with the residue?
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 16/06/19, 20:31

Thank you, I had the impression of chatting in a vacuum. : Lol:
sicetaitsimple wrote:The question is "what's next" as you see it?
First I like to experiment.
Percolate, why not, plants like it.
In the best of cases, the humidity must be ideal for the fermentation to evolve towards more acidity, to the point of eliminating pathogens, even insect eggs would be eliminated.
At the end of a certain time the conservation stage like a silage should intervene, but should not rise too high in temperature. the barrel is under the trees, it should be fine.

In fact I hope the destruction of the germination of the seeds by the work of the gluttonous bacteria. this happens in 6 hours with sourdough bread, but in this case the grain is ground. :)

As I grinded fine, in 2 months I should be able to mix this mince to the surface soil before sowing, to boost the life of the soil ... without concentrating too much, because otherwise it heats and balances more CO2 without benefiting from soil fauna?

I could also make my chickens taste it to see their reaction, since it will remain a healthy product, the smell will confirm it. : Idea:

I also think to continue the fermentation mix with soil, to make a sanitized compost without going through the thermal phase of a traditional composting?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 16/06/19, 21:20

izentrop wrote:First I like to experiment.

It's all in your Honor! Waiting for the result, whether good or disappointing, it will be interesting.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 17/06/19, 08:59

For 1 year I have a waterproof container of 50l in which I put the organic waste. I bought bokashi sound. I get a few lessons, it smelled pretty good but I have gas that is being made and the pumpkin seeds pass without damage through.
Suddenly eliminating pathogens, I have a doubt that and we do this the traditional way.
Concerning nettles, the seeds do not worry me, with enough hay they do not survive more than the others. But the hens will love it. When we were young, we mixed nettles with an arm machine and we mixed that with flour. The ducks were ravenous.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 17/06/19, 15:06

phil53 wrote:It smells good enough but I have gas which is produced and the pumpkin seeds pass without damage through.
Thank you, it's good to know.
Is there an intermediate cover which ensures the absence of air in the material? because bokashi buckets do not really enter lactic fermentation until they are full.
And are you careful that the material is well hydrated and airless?

With enough moisture, I hope that the seeds, when trying to germinate, are destroyed by the acidity and attack by bacteria.
I often see evidence of the appearance of white mold. I think it shouldn't happen with sufficient hydration.

As for the sound issue, it's a commercial trick, if we create the favorable conditions for lactic fermentation (humidity and absence of air), lactic bacteria are already everywhere and multiply rapidly to the detriment of yeasts and fungi which have need air to multiply. You can just speed up the start-up by inoculating with a lactic ferment or juice from a previous "compost".

This morning I extracted about 5 liters of juice again. I added a little rain water. Still a pleasant sour smell.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 17/06/19, 16:45

I did not buy the container sold on the internet, I find it overpriced. I bought a container with a tight lid. I will make a washer to pack each deposit, it may be what is missing. It's wet but I don't have much juice to get out.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 18/06/19, 09:34

just a question
Who is this type of composting for?
because if you have a garden, surface composting is still the simplest solution, right?
if you don't have a garden why compost?

if it is to reduce the weight of the waste, I think that drying organic waste before putting it in the trash would be an even simpler method, a vegetable being composed of more than 90% water, let its peelings would still be simpler, right?

because actually there we recover a liquid, in other, and if I understood correctly we can incorporate the remains of non-vegetable MO
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 18/06/19, 10:38

Moindreffor wrote:just a question
Not everyone is a phenocultor and then made you several : Mrgreen:

To let dry supposes a surface to spread out then to turn over. : Shock:

Surface composting on condition of sorting so as not to transmit disease, weed seeds, attract rats, crop pests ...

And then it cleans up a lot of things, the lactic fermentation well conducted. An open access study on Locally produced lactic acid bacteria for inactivation of pathogens and odor control in sewage sludge

Normally, once a pH of 3-4 is obtained, the pathogens are eliminated and the lactic bacteria calm down. I guess it's ready when all the sugars have been processed. Maybe you should have a PH meter to properly control this?
After that goes into conservation mode?

I buried some pumpkin seeds to see if they will last a month. I will continue to water every day, about 5 liters, depending on what I collect as juice the next day.
After that I intend to mix with the earth, the interest being the energy saved for the life of the soil.
Bury part of it in block, to check if it goes through a thermal phase, in which case the residual seeds would not survive.
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"