Producing your seeds

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Grizbi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Producing your seeds

by Grizbi » 29/04/19, 20:18

It has sometimes been said on the main thread that we should have a thread on semen production, so here I go, all the more since I have questions.

2nd vegetable season in phenoculture and 2nd vegetable season simply. Last year I got the “easy” seeds: tomatoes, peppers. I also did manual pollination on squash / zucchini to avoid hybridization.

Who says 2nd season says flowering this year of bisanuels: cabbage in progress, chard leeks carrots to come.

Cabbage: at my house there was kale and Brussels sprout last year, it's the bzzz zone at the moment, the pollinators are having fun and it delights me!
I know that hybridization is possible between cabbages and I have not set up a system so that either kale cabbage or Brussels sprouts are accessible to insects. Especially since I am in the suburban area and it is quite possible that there are still other varieties of flowering cabbage that I do not see!

The info that I can't find is what will be the consequences of hybridization: curly Brussels sprouts? Mini apple kale sprouts? : Mrgreen:

And how do you manage to collect your cabbage seeds?
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Producing your seeds

by olivier75 » 29/04/19, 22:02

Grizbi,
For cabbage, I plan to harvest kale this year, without protecting them, but the few missed cabbages will have finished flowering before. These are pods like rapeseed, vetch, mustard, turnips etc, the risks are attacks of flea beetles on the flowers and losing part of them when (if) the pods burst. The advantage is not economical, a few seeds per year of a packet that lasts and costs little. I would like to test the cabbage and turnips (my yellow gold balls are in bloom) in addition to the white mustard as a slug bait.
For chard and beet it works well with me, top germination, I did not have 2 varieties at the same time. Attention, a good half m2 per foot, and a good liter of seed.
For carrots except under the net and with a lot of feet this would be impossible. I did it without and the result is interesting with mixtures of color and wild. To try again.
For leeks test planned for this year.
For all, test before sharing and you can use the surplus in slug bait or sprouted seeds.
Olivier.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/04/19, 09:03

the hybridization in itself is not dangerous, it is the culture of hybrids which can be it for certain species of vegetables like hybridization squash and coloquintes (inedible) but there you paid attention in isolating the flowers

after a hybrid it is neither more nor less than the mixture of the 2 parents, a child is the hybrid of his two parents, so your hybrid cabbage will look like both, in infinite proportions, so 2 seeds will be practically different so you will have a multitude of things, it can be great like giving nothing, if we stabilize the kinds of cabbage it is to be able to precisely find each year what we had sought the previous year

the seed companies create new varieties to create new forms, new tastes by hybridization but then you have to stabilize the thing and it takes years

so let's say that if you plant your hybrid cabbage, you can very well have one that you will find great and 10 other horrible, this is the lottery, so unless you are a player or want to get into the selection, the interest in sowing hybrid cabbage is not very great

the interest of making its seeds is even, beyond the technical challenges, it is to be independent from the annual or biennial purchase of sachet whose prices only increase, especially that for example for me, I will buy a packet of 1000 salad seeds, if I am careful, I can only sow about thirty seeds per year per variety, so with my packet I have 30 years, but in fact after 2 or 3 years (especially because of my personal conservation of seeds) germination will no longer be at the meeting point, so I estimate that I am paying 25 times too much for my seeds

after for example for the salad, 1 salad bought is the price of a packet of seeds or more expensive, and we are around 2-3 €, some will say that it is nothing, but if we go to the beans there is something else

we sometimes speak of self-sufficiency as a utopia, yes if we place the cursor towards 100%, but if we ask Didier how many tomato coulis he buys each year, how many raspberry sorbets, how many fruits in full season of strawberries, we will be around 0%, but since he has no apple trees, well if he wants to make an apple pie, he must go through the store box, unless a neighbor has an apple tree and he doesn't know what to do with his apples in season

at home we eat a jar of jam per week, so I know that if I make 52 jars of jam I will be independent in jam (but I would not be in sugar) and I will consume 500g of honey per week, so if I install beehives, I could be autonomous for my honey and maybe for sugar (honey instead of sugar) for my jams

So make your seeds, may seem a gadget, but it is going towards a certain autonomy, a choice of life and consumption
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Grizbi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Grizbi » 30/04/19, 17:55

olivier75 wrote:Grizbi,
For cabbage, I plan to harvest kale this year, without protecting them, but the few missed cabbages will have finished flowering before.

Do you know what variety you have of kale? Mine are in the process of flowering and at the same time as the Brussels sprouts, and planted practically side by side ... impossible to recover the seeds in these conditions.

olivier75 wrote:
For carrots except under the net and with a lot of feet this would be impossible. I did it without and the result is interesting with mixtures of color and wild. To try again.

My concern with carrots is that once they grew I was unable to get them out of the ground even a few days after a heavy rain : Lol: it sticks too much and only the tops come! Which explains why I let it go to seed, but I do not despair of seeing my land worsen over the years and being able to finally get them out ... at this stage, after the various hybridizations to which you refer the result should be interesting. Can not wait to see it...

olivier75 wrote:I would like to test the cabbage and turnips (my yellow gold balls are in bloom) in addition to the white mustard as a slug bait.

That is to say cultivate to cut and use as bait, or use as a “martyr plant” hoping that the slugs will be more attracted to these seedlings than to the rest of what you have in the vegetable garden?
0 x
Grizbi
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Grizbi » 30/04/19, 18:14

Moindreffor wrote:the hybridization in itself is not dangerous, it is the culture of hybrids which can be it for certain species of vegetables like hybridization squash and coloquintes (inedible) but there you paid attention in isolating the flowers

after a hybrid it is neither more nor less than the mixture of the 2 parents, a child is the hybrid of his two parents, so your hybrid cabbage will look like both, in infinite proportions, so 2 seeds will be practically different so you will have a multitude of things, it can be great like giving nothing, if we stabilize the kinds of cabbage it is to be able to precisely find each year what we had sought the previous year

the seed companies create new varieties to create new forms, new tastes by hybridization but then you have to stabilize the thing and it takes years

so let's say that if you plant your hybrid cabbage, you can very well have one that you will find great and 10 other horrible, this is the lottery, so unless you are a player or want to get into the selection, the interest in sowing hybrid cabbage is not very great

Thank you, the above I am clear but precisely I was wondering if there were feedback on the culture of hybrid cabbage since we know that for certain cucurbits the consequences can sometimes be annoying in the case that you quote above.

And I am basically more interested in preserving (in most cases) varietal purity than animated by a desire to play the apprentices botanists : Cheesy:

Moindreffor wrote:the interest of making its seeds is even, beyond the technical challenges, it is to be independent from the annual or biennial purchase of sachet whose prices only increase, especially that for example for me, I will buy a packet of 1000 salad seeds, if I am careful, I can only sow about thirty seeds per year per variety, so with my packet I have 30 years, but in fact after 2 or 3 years (especially because of my personal conservation of seeds) germination will no longer be at the meeting point, so I estimate that I am paying 25 times too much for my seeds

after for example for the salad, 1 salad bought is the price of a packet of seeds or more expensive, and we are around 2-3 €, some will say that it is nothing, but if we go to the beans there is something else

So make your seeds, may seem a gadget, but it is going towards a certain autonomy, a choice of life and consumption

In my case, beyond the financial aspect which is indeed significant (vegetable garden of 30m2 ... I only use very few seeds per year), it is above all the pleasure of closing the loop. I started in my first vegetable season with seeds and with the exception of 10 tomato plants bought following a disabling fracture that made me fall behind monster ... everything was from my own seedlings.

And it also allows you to exchange seeds. When we have seen the quantity of seeds recovered in 1 single zucchini compared to the price of 15 to 25 seeds bought in stores ... it does good to the wallet. Provided that varietal purity is maintained.
Take the tomatoes as an example, last year I had 3 varieties .... following the exchange of my different varieties of vegetable seeds this year there are 17 varieties in the vegetable patch : Shock:

I obviously join you in autonomy.
But I am far from being extreme in my practice / research, laziness won me over, the cabbages this year would have required too much work to be certain of a non-hybridization.
And how long does Didier take to make all the tomato and raspberry coulis etc ... it's a hell of a job!

As for salads, I try the Did method of sprinkling dried flower stalks all over the vegetable patch ... if there is a seedling that I don't like to do, this is it.

Besides, couldn't this "sprinkle" work with a bunch of other seeds? We can see tomatoes that grow back spontaneously. Why not chard, eggplant, celery, etc.?
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 01/05/19, 09:10

Loot,

Indeed for your cabbages, it is risky unless you have too much surface. I do not have the variety of my cabbage on vacation ... it is in my excel ...
For your carrots, until your soil gets better enough and it rains enough at the right time, I recommend a weed control knife or a small asparagus knife, which are also very useful for hardy perennials (or appreciating ) with hay.
It is indeed as martyr seedlings that I intend to attract slugs, but with mustard, successive grubbing-up also serves as bait.
Olivier.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/05/19, 11:38

I just flew over this thread - chance, yesterday, in Strasbourg, I was asked to give a topo on the subject. Let's go back to basics - as always, before arguing over recipes, it's better to have a few basics.

A) Asexual reproduction

Many plants reproduce asexually: grafting, cuttings, layering, stoning ...

It is then a question of cloning: the plant obtained is genetically strictly identical to the ancestor (except in rare cases of mutation which has occurred in the meantime).

Even more surprising: we can consider, for example, that all the Burlat cherry trees in the world or all the "Clementines" are a "piece" of a single being, dispersed with each grafting; it's a "piece" of the ancestor that we grew up elsewhere ...

In the vegetable garden, this is especially the case with potatoes, garlic and shallots. In the ornamental garden, plants are added whose stumps are "exploded" ...

Advantage: strict character conservation

Disadvantages (I think you have noticed, nothing is perfect in this world):

- no biodiversity: if a disease "adapts" to this variety, everyone in the world will be sensitive to it! It is not nothing that it is in viticulture and arboriculture that pesticides are used on a massive scale and that the switch to "organic" is not always easy ...
- little by little, virus-like diseases (more or less embossed leaves, nannies, etc.) take hold, often peddled by aphids (or other biting-sucking); these diseases are propagated by vegetative propagation.

For this reason, the "breeders" proceed by multiplication of meristems, free from viruses, that one can, by suitable nutrient solutions, "elevated" to reconstruct a healthy individual. That we then propagate with care (disinfection of instruments, grafts, etc.). Nurseries are controlled. The label guarantees that the plant is healthy.

[Meristem culture is the cultivation of the heart of a bud, where the "undifferentiated" cells multiply, before becoming specialized cells constituting the wood and the different parts of a branch or a leaf or a flower). It turns out that in these meristems, even in an infected tree, the cells are not.

In short, know that without special precautions, there is a risk of slow "degeneration" of the variety. This is inevitable, except in very specific situations (at altitude, for example, absence of such aphids which carry the various potato viruses). So maybe nico will be spared ??? And he'll tell us, but no guys, no problem, I've been doing this for 10 years, it works! And he will be right. [Well, he can't have that shit about his situation either, let's be a bit of a nice gamer!]

Grafting (tomato, ...) can be a very elegant way of "bringing together" in a plant two interesting characteristics: for example, we will use rootstocks whose roots are resistant to nematodes (parasitic non-ringed worms and vector diseases) but whose fruits would be appalling (small, disgusting, even toxic) and graft on it a heart of beef, whose roots are very sensitive ...

B) Sexual reproduction

The big advantage: remixing of genes with each generation, which allows to evolve, to adapt.
The downside: as a rule, the offspring only roughly resembles one of the parents (the mother plant) ...

1) Cash

As a rule, species are sterile with one another. It is the very principle, the definition, of a species [all fertile beings among themselves, but which are not fertile with another species].

Except that it gets harder: some species are still close enough for a hybridization interspecific (between different species) is still possible. In animals, the case of the horse and the donkey are known. I wonder if the wolf can not cross with certain dogs ??? Etc ...

In plants, certain crossings are possible: mustard and ravenelle (a kind of wild mustard).

The case of the squash x coloquinte crossing is a false friend! Our symposia are ... squash decorative. Selected for that. Care has not been taken to rid them of the genes leading to the synthesis of the toxic bitter substance of most wild cucurbits. So it is not an interspecific crossing, but a crossing between two very different types of squash (a bit like a chihuahua remains a dog, even if it is very different from a German shepherd or a Beauceron).

I did not do the necessary research [because I am far from knowing everything !!!] to know if the kale and Brussels sprouts are two different species. And if, due to a relative proximity, interspecific crossings are possible. Sometimes it is possible but rare. Sometimes it's impossible but in the lab we manage to create interspecific hybrids: casseilles, brugnons, triticales (a cross between wheat and rye) ...

Subject to the lack of possibility of interspecific crosses, you can cultivate two cash different one next to the other without risk. How you can breed wildebeest and gazelles in the same park! Latin names allow you to know if they are different species: the two "names" are then different; we sometimes add ssp. - for "subspecies" = subspecies - "this or that": the colocynth is a Cucurbita pepo, the squash is Cucurbtia pepo, the courgettes are ... Cucurbita pepo like spaghetti squash or patties ...! So all of this can intersect. The squash is sometimes indicated: Cucurbita pepo ssp.pepo]

2) Varieties

Varieties are to plants what breeds to animals are. In principle, a variety A (with such and such characteristics that make it appreciated) can cross with a variety B (which has others, which make it appreciated for other reasons) .

In general, when we sow, we would like to know if it is A (resistant to cold, for a spring sowing) or B (resistant to drought). We are not going to sow B in March and A in July. And an AB hybrid (more very resistant to cold and only a little resistant to drought) will not necessarily interest us, neither in March, nor in July! Not to mention here the taste characteristics !!!

a) autogamous species: these are the species of which, for certain reasons, the pollen fertilizes the pistil of a flower of the same plant ... So it is the genotype A which fertilizes the genotype A (the genotype is all just the collection of genes).

Note that this is "inbreeding" - with its flaws (they are more crippling in animals).

If the breeder (breeder) has taken care to stabilize the characters of the variety, at the end of a long process, at least ten years of selection, then we have conservation of the varietal characteristics.

In principle !

Because obviously, it's more complicated! Strictly self-pollinated plants are rare. These are called "cleistogams", whose fertilization is done "internally", before the opening of the corolla. Even if foragers pass after opening, and forage, and try to fertilize, it's too late, fertilization has already taken place.

This is the case with beans and, for the most part, tomatoes (it depends a little on the growing conditions).

This is the simple case where we can give ourselves to heart and multiply without too much difficulty. Finally, it is not that simple! You have to label properly, keep ...

The bumblebee has, in tomato greenhouses, a shaker role rather than a pollinator. Even if it can fertilize flowers that have escaped "internal" fertilization.

Are self-pollinated, among others: beans, peas, lettuce, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, soybeans, peanuts, beans, lamb's lettuce ... (and most cereals: wheat, oats, rye, barley ...)

As autogamy is never strict (it is 95%, sometimes 99%), there is a slow drift, through accidental crossings.

The seed producers therefore make a "conservative mass selection": before they reach maturity, they remove all the plants which do not resemble the precise description of the type of the variety. Even, regularly, leave carefully selected ancestors, therefore "very pure".

Without knowing it, "fans" of old varieties "exploit" the meticulous work of the ancestors of our current seed companies, Vilmorin, Caillaux, Clause ... Few old varieties are in fact "authentically" peasant! This is mainly found for the few cleistogamous species: tomatoes, beans ... Where there, the "stabilization" went by itself! For the most part - I may forget one or two other species - the heirloom varieties are the result of a selection made by companies in the 1800s and beyond, sometimes with the involvement of "gardeners", who tested. then adopted what was then new !!! [200 years later, "novelty" remains one of the classics of especially professional seed catalogs!]. FYI, professional tomato seed catalogs in the early 1800s included 2 or 3 varieties. I will not philosophize any longer, but there is obviously reason to wonder about our whims! After, each his passions. I know some who collect stamps ... Others beer capsules (but there, I guess the usefulness at the level of the step before!).

b) allogamous species

Nature often favors cross-fertilization. By different "tips": delayed maturity of the pollen and pistil, separation of the male flower and the female flower (on the same individual - maize - or on different individuals - kiwi), pollination by the wind, pollination by insects, form flowers ...

In this case, except in special cases, the probability that a variety A pollinates the flower of a variety B is then high. And so, if in the fruit that grew on B we take seeds, we have seeds AB, and the next year, the plant will be AB (somewhere between A and B). No forecast is possible. A friend told me this weekend (by chance!) That they have a couple of friends, she blonde, he black, who have three children: one is "typically white", the other almost black and the third typically café au lait !!! It is the chance of the recombination of characters.

Are allogamous: cucurbits (cucumbers, melons, squash, pumpkins, pumpkins ...), celery, parsley, onions, carrots, crucifers (cabbage, turnips, radishes ...), chicory, chicory, fennel, parsnips, corn, beets, spinach ...

The production of seeds with conservation of varietal characters (therefore what interested us in such a variety that we have cultivated) is only possible in two ways:

a) a sufficient distance from any plant to another variety of the same species (including wild plants of the same species - wild carrots for example); order of magnitude: 500 m to 1 km.

b) or a bagging of the flower chosen as female, which one preserves from a cross pollination (attention for the anemophilous plants, fertilized by the wind, it is necessary a gauze which filters the pollen); fertilization is carried out manually with pollen of the same variety, and closed until maturity ...

Here too, however, a conservative fertilization is necessary (it is even more so in the case of distance, because if 500 m is a standard, no one will prevent a drone Olympic champion from losing his way for 2 or 3 km Without being champion, it can be embarked by a gale ... Simply, it is rare!

3) Diseases

It is not well known, but some diseases are transmitted by seeds (usually on the outer covering of the grain).

The case of ergot in rye (today almost eradicated, thanks for the surface treatments) is known (I believe that it was in Bagnol sur Cèze that there was a famous case of "madness" attributed to witchcraft, which today we know was ergot - a fungus whose slightly modified extract is ... LSD!)

Professional seeds, even "organic" seeds, are disinfected. The law is extremely severe at this level. And rightly so. When you buy a seed, you don't want to buy the parasite that goes with it!

4) F1 hybrids

The F1 hybrids - first generation - are the result of a cross between two pure lines, each of which has qualities that we want to bring together (line A of tomatoes, very round and red, but puny; line B early and productive) ... it is two lines are pure, the crossing "will contain" necessarily these 4 characters combined: red and round fruit, productive and precocious variety ...

But only in the first generation. Hence the F1 (the F comes from descendants, filius in Latin).

Because in the next step, it is the "big mess" of the lottery and the chance.

Contrary to what I often read, F1 hybrids are not sterile.

There is only this "disjunction of the characters" which will make that in the descent we will have everything and anything: round tomatoes and others which are less so, red tomatoes and others which are not, early and late tomatoes, productive and puny ...

Sometimes we use wild tomatoes, ridiculously small but resistant to mildew in one of the lines, and we can therefore expect to get ridiculously small feet, like wild ...

It would be time to stop raving about hybrids, knowing that it is a "mechanical" selection that has nothing to do with GMOs. But that this made it possible to introduce very interesting germs (such as wild resistance genes). This is not hybridization, which is a very natural occurrence (all botanical orchids are hybrids !!! Most stable varieties were initially a hybrid). These are the selection criteria that make us prefer tasteless and hard tomatoes like pebbles to tasty tomatoes, quite simply to deliver you tomatoes from Morocco all year round since the consumer buys! One could imagine "hybridizing" the best tastes to obtain "taste bombs" (probably impossible to transport!). Technically, it is quite possible by putting the package on this criterion.

[For your information, there is currently an explosion of hops with very specific flavors: citrus, chocolate, etc ... which are the fruit of hybridization, followed, in this case, by vegetative propagation]

That at the price, we agree, of a buyout of seeds.

It would be, in areas with low or medium pressure of mildew, much more ecological and much cheaper than throwing this crap of "Bordeaux mixture" !!!

[it's a little more complicated, because the resistances are bypassed by the very rapid adaptation of the fungi; it takes in fact a combination of different resistance genes - 3 or 4 minimum - so that the milidou does not "crack" the code too easily!]

Try to understand the "greenies" sometimes.
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/05/19, 11:40

Grizbi wrote:
And how long does Didier take to make all the tomato and raspberry coulis etc ... it's a hell of a job!

As for salads, I try the Did method of sprinkling dried flower stalks all over the vegetable patch ... if there is a seedling that I don't like to do, this is it.

Besides, couldn't this "sprinkle" work with a bunch of other seeds? We can see tomatoes that grow back spontaneously. Why not chard, eggplant, celery, etc.?

Ah, when all the gardeners complain only of the problems of consuming and transforming their production obtained without pesticides and without fertilizers, we will have made progress (compared to the traditional, yes, organic, but that does not produce enough! ").
0 x
Hypppocrate18
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Hypppocrate18 » 01/05/19, 12:27

Did67 wrote:I just flew over this thread - chance, yesterday, in Strasbourg, I was asked to give a topo on the subject. Let's go back to basics - as always, before arguing over recipes, it's better to have a few basics.

A) Asexual reproduction

Many plants reproduce asexually: grafting, cuttings, layering, stoning ...

It is then a question of cloning: the plant obtained is genetically strictly identical to the ancestor (except in rare cases of mutation which has occurred in the meantime).

Even more surprising: we can consider, for example, that all the Burlat cherry trees in the world or all the "Clementines" are a "piece" of a single being, dispersed with each grafting; it's a "piece" of the ancestor that we grew up elsewhere ...

In the vegetable garden, this is especially the case with potatoes, garlic and shallots. In the ornamental garden, plants are added whose stumps are "exploded" ...

Advantage: strict character conservation

Disadvantages (I think you have noticed, nothing is perfect in this world):

- no biodiversity: if a disease "adapts" to this variety, everyone in the world will be sensitive to it! It is not nothing that it is in viticulture and arboriculture that pesticides are used on a massive scale and that the switch to "organic" is not always easy ...
- little by little, virus-like diseases (more or less embossed leaves, nannies, etc.) take hold, often peddled by aphids (or other biting-sucking); these diseases are propagated by vegetative propagation.

For this reason, the "breeders" proceed by multiplication of meristems, free from viruses, that one can, by suitable nutrient solutions, "elevated" to reconstruct a healthy individual. That we then propagate with care (disinfection of instruments, grafts, etc.). Nurseries are controlled. The label guarantees that the plant is healthy.

[Meristem culture is the cultivation of the heart of a bud, where the "undifferentiated" cells multiply, before becoming specialized cells constituting the wood and the different parts of a branch or a leaf or a flower). It turns out that in these meristems, even in an infected tree, the cells are not.

In short, know that without special precautions, there is a risk of slow "degeneration" of the variety. This is inevitable, except in very specific situations (at altitude, for example, absence of such aphids which carry the various potato viruses). So maybe nico will be spared ??? And he'll tell us, but no guys, no problem, I've been doing this for 10 years, it works! And he will be right. [Well, he can't have that shit about his situation either, let's be a bit of a nice gamer!]

Grafting (tomato, ...) can be a very elegant way of "bringing together" in a plant two interesting characteristics: for example, we will use rootstocks whose roots are resistant to nematodes (parasitic non-ringed worms and vector diseases) but whose fruits would be appalling (small, disgusting, even toxic) and graft on it a heart of beef, whose roots are very sensitive ...

B) Sexual reproduction

The big advantage: remixing of genes with each generation, which allows to evolve, to adapt.
The downside: as a rule, the offspring only roughly resembles one of the parents (the mother plant) ...

1) Cash

As a rule, species are sterile with one another. It is the very principle, the definition, of a species [all fertile beings among themselves, but which are not fertile with another species].

Except that it gets harder: some species are still close enough for a hybridization interspecific (between different species) is still possible. In animals, the case of the horse and the donkey are known. I wonder if the wolf can not cross with certain dogs ??? Etc ...

In plants, certain crossings are possible: mustard and ravenelle (a kind of wild mustard).

The case of the squash x coloquinte crossing is a false friend! Our symposia are ... squash decorative. Selected for that. Care has not been taken to rid them of the genes leading to the synthesis of the toxic bitter substance of most wild cucurbits. So it is not an interspecific crossing, but a crossing between two very different types of squash (a bit like a chihuahua remains a dog, even if it is very different from a German shepherd or a Beauceron).

I did not do the necessary research [because I am far from knowing everything !!!] to know if the kale and Brussels sprouts are two different species. And if, due to a relative proximity, interspecific crossings are possible. Sometimes it is possible but rare. Sometimes it's impossible but in the lab we manage to create interspecific hybrids: casseilles, brugnons, triticales (a cross between wheat and rye) ...

Subject to the lack of possibility of interspecific crosses, you can cultivate two cash different one next to the other without risk. How you can breed wildebeest and gazelles in the same park! Latin names allow you to know if they are different species: the two "names" are then different; we sometimes add ssp. - for "subspecies" = subspecies - "this or that": the colocynth is a Cucurbita pepo, the squash is Cucurbtia pepo, the courgettes are ... Cucurbita pepo like spaghetti squash or patties ...! So all of this can intersect. The squash is sometimes indicated: Cucurbita pepo ssp.pepo]

2) Varieties

Varieties are to plants what breeds to animals are. In principle, a variety A (with such and such characteristics that make it appreciated) can cross with a variety B (which has others, which make it appreciated for other reasons) .

In general, when we sow, we would like to know if it is A (resistant to cold, for a spring sowing) or B (resistant to drought). We are not going to sow B in March and A in July. And an AB hybrid (more very resistant to cold and only a little resistant to drought) will not necessarily interest us, neither in March, nor in July! Not to mention here the taste characteristics !!!

a) autogamous species: these are the species of which, for certain reasons, the pollen fertilizes the pistil of a flower of the same plant ... So it is the genotype A which fertilizes the genotype A (the genotype is all just the collection of genes).

Note that this is "inbreeding" - with its flaws (they are more crippling in animals).

If the breeder (breeder) has taken care to stabilize the characters of the variety, at the end of a long process, at least ten years of selection, then we have conservation of the varietal characteristics.

In principle !

Because obviously, it's more complicated! Strictly self-pollinated plants are rare. These are called "cleistogams", whose fertilization is done "internally", before the opening of the corolla. Even if foragers pass after opening, and forage, and try to fertilize, it's too late, fertilization has already taken place.

This is the case with beans and, for the most part, tomatoes (it depends a little on the growing conditions).

This is the simple case where we can give ourselves to heart and multiply without too much difficulty. Finally, it is not that simple! You have to label properly, keep ...

The bumblebee has, in tomato greenhouses, a shaker role rather than a pollinator. Even if it can fertilize flowers that have escaped "internal" fertilization.

Are self-pollinated, among others: beans, peas, lettuce, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, soybeans, peanuts, beans, lamb's lettuce ... (and most cereals: wheat, oats, rye, barley ...)

As autogamy is never strict (it is 95%, sometimes 99%), there is a slow drift, through accidental crossings.

The seed producers therefore make a "conservative mass selection": before they reach maturity, they remove all the plants which do not resemble the precise description of the type of the variety. Even, regularly, leave carefully selected ancestors, therefore "very pure".

Without knowing it, "fans" of old varieties "exploit" the meticulous work of the ancestors of our current seed companies, Vilmorin, Caillaux, Clause ... Few old varieties are in fact "authentically" peasant! This is mainly found for the few cleistogamous species: tomatoes, beans ... Where there, the "stabilization" went by itself! For the most part - I may forget one or two other species - the heirloom varieties are the result of a selection made by companies in the 1800s and beyond, sometimes with the involvement of "gardeners", who tested. then adopted what was then new !!! [200 years later, "novelty" remains one of the classics of especially professional seed catalogs!]. FYI, professional tomato seed catalogs in the early 1800s included 2 or 3 varieties. I will not philosophize any longer, but there is obviously reason to wonder about our whims! After, each his passions. I know some who collect stamps ... Others beer capsules (but there, I guess the usefulness at the level of the step before!).

b) allogamous species

Nature often favors cross-fertilization. By different "tips": delayed maturity of the pollen and pistil, separation of the male flower and the female flower (on the same individual - maize - or on different individuals - kiwi), pollination by the wind, pollination by insects, form flowers ...

In this case, except in special cases, the probability that a variety A pollinates the flower of a variety B is then high. And so, if in the fruit that grew on B we take seeds, we have seeds AB, and the next year, the plant will be AB (somewhere between A and B). No forecast is possible. A friend told me this weekend (by chance!) That they have a couple of friends, she blonde, he black, who have three children: one is "typically white", the other almost black and the third typically café au lait !!! It is the chance of the recombination of characters.

Are allogamous: cucurbits (cucumbers, melons, squash, pumpkins, pumpkins ...), celery, parsley, onions, carrots, crucifers (cabbage, turnips, radishes ...), chicory, chicory, fennel, parsnips, corn, beets, spinach ...

The production of seeds with conservation of varietal characters (therefore what interested us in such a variety that we have cultivated) is only possible in two ways:

a) a sufficient distance from any plant to another variety of the same species (including wild plants of the same species - wild carrots for example); order of magnitude: 500 m to 1 km.

b) or a bagging of the flower chosen as female, which one preserves from a cross pollination (attention for the anemophilous plants, fertilized by the wind, it is necessary a gauze which filters the pollen); fertilization is carried out manually with pollen of the same variety, and closed until maturity ...

Here too, however, a conservative fertilization is necessary (it is even more so in the case of distance, because if 500 m is a standard, no one will prevent a drone Olympic champion from losing his way for 2 or 3 km Without being champion, it can be embarked by a gale ... Simply, it is rare!

3) Diseases

It is not well known, but some diseases are transmitted by seeds (usually on the outer covering of the grain).

The case of ergot in rye (today almost eradicated, thanks for the surface treatments) is known (I believe that it was in Bagnol sur Cèze that there was a famous case of "madness" attributed to witchcraft, which today we know was ergot - a fungus whose slightly modified extract is ... LSD!)

Professional seeds, even "organic" seeds, are disinfected. The law is extremely severe at this level. And rightly so. When you buy a seed, you don't want to buy the parasite that goes with it!

4) F1 hybrids

The F1 hybrids - first generation - are the result of a cross between two pure lines, each of which has qualities that we want to bring together (line A of tomatoes, very round and red, but puny; line B early and productive) ... it is two lines are pure, the crossing "will contain" necessarily these 4 characters combined: red and round fruit, productive and precocious variety ...

But only in the first generation. Hence the F1 (the F comes from descendants, filius in Latin).

Because in the next step, it is the "big mess" of the lottery and the chance.

Contrary to what I often read, F1 hybrids are not sterile.

There is only this "disjunction of the characters" which will make that in the descent we will have everything and anything: round tomatoes and others which are less so, red tomatoes and others which are not, early and late tomatoes, productive and puny ...

Sometimes we use wild tomatoes, ridiculously small but resistant to mildew in one of the lines, and we can therefore expect to get ridiculously small feet, like wild ...

It would be time to stop raving about hybrids, knowing that it is a "mechanical" selection that has nothing to do with GMOs. But that this made it possible to introduce very interesting germs (such as wild resistance genes). This is not hybridization, which is a very natural occurrence (all botanical orchids are hybrids !!! Most stable varieties were initially a hybrid). These are the selection criteria that make us prefer tasteless and hard tomatoes like pebbles to tasty tomatoes, quite simply to deliver you tomatoes from Morocco all year round since the consumer buys! One could imagine "hybridizing" the best tastes to obtain "taste bombs" (probably impossible to transport!). Technically, it is quite possible by putting the package on this criterion.

[For your information, there is currently an explosion of hops with very specific flavors: citrus, chocolate, etc ... which are the fruit of hybridization, followed, in this case, by vegetative propagation]

That at the price, we agree, of a buyout of seeds.

It would be, in areas with low or medium pressure of mildew, much more ecological and much cheaper than throwing this crap of "Bordeaux mixture" !!!
transfer reims
[it's a little more complicated, because the resistances are bypassed by the very rapid adaptation of the fungi; it takes in fact a combination of different resistance genes - 3 or 4 minimum - so that the milidou does not "crack" the code too easily!]

Try to understand the "greenies" sometimes.

Hello, thank you very much for all this information
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/07/19, 21:27

I have oak leaf lettuce that blooms when I can harvest the seeds, I have to wait until everything has flowered or only part of it and how do I know if the seeds are good for harvesting

after I will have the Grenoble red, but there not ink mounted some seem to want to turn others climb to follow
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)