Fight effectively against slugs!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ollaf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Fight effectively against slugs!

by Ollaf » 22/05/18, 21:29

Hello, I have a big slug problem I made a night pickup since 3 day and I harvest large quantities but I do not feel that the population is decreasing. I get ravaged aubergine peppers and they attack even tomato. Have. Yes lived the same experience and what advice can you get me?

IMG_0870.JPG
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: Slug

by denis17 » 23/05/18, 09:12

I also have the same problem, slugs in this season are ubiquitous. Since the beginning of my planting, I had only lost 4 18 tomato plants planted to date. This weekend planting my zucchini feet, and during my morning visit this morning, bim, they were all nibbling. So, the collection of fifteen of these small animals, a maximum length of 3 cm, having a color very close to that of hay. Some were even well hidden under the leaves. And so tomorrow, re morning visit.
FYI, I'm afraid the coffee grounds do not work. : roll:
Denis
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/05/18, 14:24

The only true biological solution is to house a family of hedgehogs ... I know it's easier said than found ...

The thrushes also eat slugs but certainly less than a hedgehog and it is even harder to host than hedgehogs! : Cheesy:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/05/18, 14:33

Indian runners are easier to implement than hedgehogs ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/18, 15:11

1) We are not equal when it comes to slugs, depending on the "terroir"! And a year is not another year. In addition, there is slug and slug ...

2) This year, I have a relative invasion of the big oranges / reds (probably two species).

3) At the end of spring, slugs, like many predators, are ahead of their enemies! It's natural.

The hedgehog eats it, but is a "mop." In this season, he is ready to be run over on the roads, just to find a female. "Out of a tragic ball on a Saturday evening" one might say! There, or not? In any case, do not confine it. He needs a bigger territory! So difficult to count on him.

Reliable auxiliaries are carabids and staphylines, nocturnal hunters especially. But like all insects, they start to be numerous when it's really hot and two or three cycles have taken place. Look at mosquitoes or wasps ... Protect them from natural meadows (their habitat), grassed paths, where they circulate well. Do not put curbs, an obstacle that will divert them from your flower beds!

4) And it fits hair pile when the man exposes his cute little plants, or install cute little seedlings of carrots that vegetate for 4 weeks without fattening. Attractive and easy prey ...

Clash assured !!!!

5) I have formally established, verified, last week, that my red / orange slugs, which I call my "fat cows", prefer .... wilted sow thistles, or wilted lettuce / escaroles, to cabbage or celery. I discovered this by chance, having swung a sow thistle on the rows of planted cabbages ... In the evening, during my hunt, I found 3 slugs on this sow thistle, with one side 10 cm away, on the other at about thirty, a cabbage plant ...

I did it on the days that followed, and at 80 / 90% luck, that was true. There were still some rare slugs on cabbages. The rest, I picked up on those faded plants.

So for a few days, I have been calling. I thus scattered lettuces and escarole seeds that rose to seed (I kept one foot for my seeds). I picked up the launches in question where I found them ...

Advantage:

a) while I'm finishing the film or show, the slugs do very little damage ...

b) I know where to look for them!

6) For those who have room, the easiest thing is to make a crawl space with ducks runners or chickens, in a pen, all year round. No slugs that survive. No clutches. The next year you spread the hay plant or sow in it and you're done! If possible, keep a sanitary corridor, to avoid an intrusion from neighboring meadows. Inquire in East Germany, they knew how to do!

Otherwise, a passage of ducks at dusk, pushing them a little in the ass so they do not hang too much because they also like a little salad with their steaks, is obviously effective!

7) The raising of seedlings in pots, allowing them to grow well, limits the damage, the time to catch the culprits. Often, one or two outer leaves are serrated, but the heart is preserved. The plant recovers. So do not rush with rikiki dishes !!! We do not win anything. But we can lose a lot! A Lazy Potager is not for people in a hurry!

8) Meditate on the concept of martyr plants. I used a "leftover" salad plants (batavias), to "clean up" an area where I will be sowing carrots in a few days. There won't be much left! Neither slugs. Nor salads !!!! What does it cost, a terrine, a bag of seeds at Lidl and a transplant (for nothing)!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/18, 15:23

@olaf

You seem to me to have teenagers of the big tiger slug. Which ALSO has carnivorous tendencies according to the literature.

I did some research though. I did not find any serious information about the diet of these animals. If everyone agrees that they can eat their conspecifics or the dead bodies of their conspecifics, it is also generally stated that they can also eat plants.

One thing is to eat a congener who occupies your territory, or a corpse. Another is to eat that. Because if together, they first finish your vegetables and argue only for the last salad, this may not be the solution!

The texts found on some sites and that present them as a solution to slugs leave me, at this stage, skeptical!

Maybe you can observe this more finely ????
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/05/18, 15:34

Did67 wrote:Which ALSO has carnivorous tendencies according to the literature.

I did some research though. I did not find any serious information about the diet of these animals. If everyone agrees that they can eat their conspecifics or the dead bodies of their conspecifics, it is also generally stated that they can also eat plants.

(...)

I confirm!

I have already seen, with a certain astonishment and disgust, orange slugs eating their congeners that I had just squashed a few minutes earlier ...

So carnivorous, scavenger and cannibals! : Shock:

On the other hand I have never seen slugs eat alive between them ... and I did not examine if they only ate the contents of "the stomach" of their congeners or also the flesh ... Tests would be easy to reproduce!
0 x
monidura
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by monidura » 23/05/18, 16:44

about slugs, I noticed that when planting my zucchini if ​​I spread compost around the foot in a circle about 10 cm in diameter, the slugs were much less attracted. And for the transplanted salads, I kept the water bottles of 5 or 8 l that I consumed (for the occasion), of which I cut the bottom and I protect them momentarily by covering them, the time that they grow a bit and after more problems.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/18, 17:29

As soon as the salads are a little bigger and start to head, there are always 2 or 3 slugs under / in the last leaves in contact with the ground, the ones that are sometimes found in the sink, and they are content to these damaged, withered leaves, sometimes at the start of decomposition ... Sometimes, they slip and make a little lace: it is the signature of a vegetable "more than organic"!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/18, 17:31

Christophe wrote:
On the other hand I have never seen slugs eat alive between them ... and I did not examine if they only ate the contents of "the stomach" of their congeners or also the flesh ... Tests would be easy to reproduce!

What interests me is to know "how much" they are cannibals or carnivores! If they are occasionally, when they do, and the rest of the time, say 90%, they're after our veggies, I don't care if they're occasionally carnivorous or even cannibalistic! It will be a question of controlling them, like the others ...
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"