New garden probably late?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

New garden probably late?

by Silhat » 02/04/18, 16:30

Hello everyone.

I just discovered this forum and the related vegetable techniques, it's pretty exciting.

So, my own case ... I have land that was a traditional vegetable garden poorly maintained by my own (non) care and which has been left fallow for 5 years. The thing is roughly 100 m2 (4m by 20 ladle). on the other hand, rather badly placed since two sides are bordered by a cypress hedge (I know, the cypress is the devil's tree) and I cannot install it elsewhere.

The videos I have seen seem to suggest that it is not too late to start? Could someone be nice enough to confirm this to me? Knowing that I would like to make tomatoes - and therefore that I have a shelter to set up since I live in Normandy and that here, rain is not a risk but rather a daily reality - potatoes etc.

I was planning to start looking for hay this week ... Thank you for your opinions
1 x
Did67

Re: New garden probably late?

by Did67 » 02/04/18, 16:41

I confirm that one year, having extra plants (including tomatoes), I planted them in the grass after mowing it, in May, then I put the layer of hay afterwards. The earth was "pretty hard" (to put it mildly), but it grew well! Ditto for zucchini ...

So there you put the hay as soon as you can.

And you can plant everything that is planted in small pots (pots). The ground will be hard, but it is not an obstacle (contrary to all that any gardener who respects himself - but is mistaken - will make you believe): you make a hole slightly larger than your bucket and you plant, you close the hay around ...

You will surely have some perennials which will "break through" (bindweed if there is any, plantain, thistles): only one thing to do = pull out when it comes out.
1 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 02/04/18, 16:48

Thank you for confirmation. So I'm going to get started, I have a few tomato seeds to germinate now and I will put this and the rest in mid May, anyway, it is way too cold and humid in my house to try anything before.
0 x
green68
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by green68 » 02/04/18, 16:50

Silhat wrote:...

So, my own case ... I have land that was a traditional vegetable garden poorly maintained by my own (non) care and which has been left fallow for 5 years. The thing is roughly 100 m2 (4m by 20 ladle). on the other hand, rather badly placed since two sides are bordered by a cypress hedge (I know, the cypress is the devil's tree) and I cannot install it elsewhere.

The videos I have seen seem to suggest that it is not too late to start? Could someone be nice enough to confirm this to me? Knowing that I would like to make tomatoes - and therefore that I have a shelter to set up since I live in Normandy and that here, rain is not a risk but rather a daily reality - potatoes etc.

Hello Silhat

I don't think it's too late, especially for tomatoes and potatoes or even any other plants.

You can lay your fallow under the hay (or mow then cover) and then plant without any problems.

Oups Did67 has already passed :)

green68
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 06/04/18, 10:22

Hello everyone.

I have a doubt about the establishment of my vegetable garden, could you give me your opinion?

I haven't got my hands on hay yet, apparently it's more "complicated" than expected (any advice on hay "sources" would be appreciated). In the meantime, can I spread my lawn mowing? There is obviously not enough to provide good coverage, but is it unnecessary, harmful or on the contrary a good idea?

Thanks for your help
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 06/04/18, 12:57

Things are becoming clearer ... I have a farmer who has old hay (two years, unprotected, a bit rotten according to him ... I hope it will be fine).

Delivery Monday except out of time : Cheesy: we will have to hurry past the brushcutter and find a way to set up a tomato shelter. We will also have to sow the so-called tomatoes ...

I will take photos before and after, just to keep an archive to realize myself and be able to take stock at the end of the season.
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 07/04/18, 13:17

Don't worry about the hay, 2 years old, 5 years old, no problem, even if it is a bit "rotten", if the "rotten" is below it will continue to decompose, if it is on it it will dry out, and will in turn decompose once it hits the ground.
Denis
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 08/04/18, 03:12

I would like to say on the contrary.

If you can unload the agri from their unusable hay I think it's win-win ... :!:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/04/18, 11:34

Back from Haute-Savoie ...

1) Yes, first target hay that has lost its forage value: old hay (when emptying a barn), late mowing hay from protected sites (full of spines, thistles, etc.), hay that has taken the water (if it is very decomposed it may not "cover" well enough; then put it in a thick layer and possibly, on top, found a less decomposed roll to make a "thatched roof") ...

2) Brushcutter, yes: before!

3) The shelter can be built over the tomatoes, in summer (June / July). My damaged tunnel has not yet been rebuilt.

4) Grass clippings pose various problems: do not last long, ferment in thick layers, are too rich in nitrogen which unbalances the system and weakens it (there is not much difference between vegetables "grown" with fertilizers nitrogenous - ammonitrates - and those "pushed" to organic waste too rich in nitrogen), risk of leaching and pollution of water tables.

So use the grass clippings:
- in thin layers (repeated)
- possibly after drying them
- mixed with materials poor in nitrogen (straws, shavings ...)
- on gourmet vegetables: pdt, cabbage ... (and especially not on legumes) ...
0 x
Silhat
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Silhat » 15/04/18, 10:08

Hello everyone.

Thank you for the advice, so I refrained from spreading my shears. On the other hand my peasant dropped me, no hay for me ... I wonder if I really did not get started too late, but for a reason other than that which I had thought of at the start.

Good Sunday and thank you again for your opinions
0 x