Where do you buy your seeds?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Where do you buy your seeds?

by fabio.gel » 28/01/18, 09:57

Hello

After testing several seed suppliers (biocoop, carouf, casto, gardening ...), I realized that some packages bought did not give much or really ridiculous. This year before sowing, I turn to you to know

Or do you buy your seeds?

Thank you for your answers.

Fabio
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
Did67

Re: Where do you buy your seed?

by Did67 » 28/01/18, 10:23

I will surprise: "anywhere".

It is rare that commercial seeds do not "work". They have deadlines, with significant margins (when you have bags at home whose date has passed, you can generally still sow - to qualify for open bags; in principle, in the trade, we do not not find any).

So I have 0,39 sachets from Norma or Lidl ... But also more specific varieties from Sainte-Marthe, Magellan, Germinance or Fabre.

And more and more, mine own (for all non-hybrid varieties).
0 x
denis17
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by denis17 » 29/01/18, 11:29

A bit like that for me too.
Last year, big order at magellan, a little seed collection from friends, and the rest at brico market.
As I still have seeds from last year, this year, I made a supplement to the farm of St. Martha, for the rest, I will return to brico.
And for info, I myself do all my seedlings.
Denis
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/01/18, 12:02

Until last year I did very little seedlings in terrines or pots, and sowed in the garden either vegetables that do not transplant (radishes, carrots, ...), or "large seeds" (beans, small peas), plus a few nurseries of bare root transplanted salad. Generally (except carrots!) No problem.

In 2017 I started in pots and terrines, with sometimes contrasting results but in my opinion the quality of the seeds was not in question, rather the quality of the gardener! By analyzing certain failures, the minimum germination temperature was often involved, it is not always very clear on the bags.

The biggest comes from Leclerc (Eclor brand) simply because this is where I usually go to do my shopping and the prices are very affordable compared to a garden center, with some exceptions such as for example the "Cressonette du Maroc" which I adore but which one cannot easily find in stores which come from the St Marthe Farm and then like everyone else I think of bags bought here and there at random from the passage in front of a garden center.

But I agree with previous opinions, if it shit must not first think about the quality of the seed!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/01/18, 12:19

sicetaitsimple wrote:
the minimum germination temperature was often involved, it is not always very clear on the bags.

In fact, we find very variable indications for the same species. When we find some.

It is also a matter of judgment: the temperature at which some seeds germinate very slowly is not the same as that at which 90% of the seeds germinate in a few days! "Minimal" is a bit ambiguous.

I think that in general, the tendency is to sow too early and too deep ...

When one goes towards summer and drier grounds, another tendency: not to "plumb" enough (rising humidity by capillarity) - it often happens to me to walk in the furrow! [obsession with the "seedbed" which must be said to be loose; to get over this false evidence, carefully observe a "squeezed root ball", nowadays common for plants in the garden: it's "concrete"!]
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 29/01/18, 12:38

Did67 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
the minimum germination temperature was often involved, it is not always very clear on the bags.

In fact, we find very variable indications for the same species. When we find some.

When I said "not always very clear", it was an understatement!
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fabio.gel » 29/01/18, 19:01

Thank you for your answers.
Ya more ka
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
Photnat 61
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Photnat 61 » 29/01/18, 22:04

Hi,

I harvest + in + my own seeds, otherwise, I get myself at: The Good Seed, Seeds Bocquet, Kokopelli, Ferme Sainte Marthe and Lidl. I also participate, regularly in the different barter of regional seeds.
Lucien
0 x
green68
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by green68 » 23/02/18, 21:04

Hi,

Mostly at Lidl for convenience, if not those given to me by my neighbors in the kitchen garden and of course on my own seeds.
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 24/02/18, 09:34

on my side I take my seeds from friends, and I complete with germinance because they are my region, so I tell myself that the conditions are closer to my garden that if I ordered them in the south of France for example.

I try to do the maximum with non hybrid seedling because I like to let go to seed and exchange with friends;)
1 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"