The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by torrent sites » 10/12/17, 13:50

Hello everybody

It's been a decade that I have a kitchen garden (since I built my house). It is ~ 160m² and we produce almost all the vegetables we consume on the year (we are 3). I also have a small greenhouse of ~ 20m².
We are located in the north of Haguenau in Alsace (yes yes Alsace is not the big one) : Cheesy: ), with an ultra clay soil.
There is almost non-stop sun on the kitchen garden, so as much as saying that in summer it hits severe and when there is wind it decorates the oxen. To make things easier I can hardly plant trees because I have a horizontal geothermal system that would take dear with the roots. The rest of my land (~ 17 ares) and an old-fashioned orchard (a row of tree and grass).

My way of thinking is quite simple: the results obtained must be worthy of the efforts made.

My beginnings:
I was in traditional mode (bio of course), so a little Bordeaux mixture, nettle and other ... I took advice from neighbors (old people) who luckily for me, do not use no phyto products. I deleted the baby after reading an article about his "misdeeds" in certain types of crops and purines, in view of the results, because it made me feel good to do (see above) .
I spent all my free time (really everything!) To hoe, to weed, to water ... to say that the reproaches of my half were raining ... but you will tell me, when we love we do not count.
In short, nothing great, I did, it bothered me too much at the time, but the results were not at the top (okay no longer seen the time).

Revelation : Lol: :
Following a worry, I was forced to mow hay in rainy weather : Shock: . It was therefore impossible for me to give it to an agri for his animals because it was rotting on the ground. I also had to get rid of it and did not know what to do with it.
I was there lamenting in my chair when I said to myself, "Shit I'm going to throw it on the garden waiting to find better as an idea", so I took a board where there was nothing and spread it on it (a good ten cm). Later in the season, I had to recover this board and there by removing my waste (for now it was only waste), I found a land a little more loose than next, not desiccated and with a little more life in it.
That's where everything started. I started to inquire and I quickly came across forums, videos (especially those of Damien Dekarz who I think are well done), etc. on permaculture. I liked it a lot as a culture method and corresponded a lot to my vision of things in general.

In practice :
So, the following year I recovered an old roundball of rotting straw from the forest and spread it out on the vegetable patch. The result was blah -> I could manage the hay more easily than the straw so I had to find hay.
The farmer who was cutting down my orchard decided to retire, it was fine. Unfortunately it did not cover my hay needs over the year.
At first I managed to recover old hay left and right, it covered me the need for the year (I will explain later why this is not the case). Subsequently, the hay being more rare, I found another source: the fields by us are old fields cut in full of parcel so not entirely flat. With the big machines, agris mow them entirely, but the presses do not manage to pick up what is in the hollows. This is where I get into action, with my old wooden rake and my little trailer: once the roundballs are removed I pass and "cleans" the field.

The look of the others :
In a small village everything is known quickly.
Suffice to say that at first, I was looked awkward (in the same place my grandfather had a kitchen garden always dressed to the nines that was a reference in the village).
Having a strong enough character, the critics were often hidden in the form of pseudo-advice (do not break them too much : Evil: ): "You will have lots of weeds" -> without light no germination, "it is not too beautiful" -> beauty is in the eye of the beholder, "you are going to have lots of slugs ”-> uh, that's not wrong : Oops: (there were some who had intelligent critics), etc ...
Since the last few years now that I have been doing this, the ardor of some people has turned into curiosity, to see in interest for some of them, result they have tapped into my hay suppliers (I would have done better to be less convincing).

How did I get here?
I used to tell my neighbor that my garden was a lazy garden but that it worked. This year, for some reason, I looked for lazy, lazy, etc. garden on the net and came across the videos at did67, which talked about forum.

Cultures :
I have a little of everything that is usually found in a kitchen garden in Alsace (I cultivate the mystery).
I try my best to make my own seeds: tomatoes are varieties from which I collect seeds (I've been given a really good tip for that) from year to year: they have a few mutations but are still as good and "rustic".
I also get the seeds of salads, radishes, beans, turnips, etc. my goal is to be as autonomous as possible in seeds.
For all that is cabbage, cucurbitaceae, etc., with the risk of hybridization that I do not have time to control, I buy plants at a horticulturist next door (very good quality for a reasonable price).

To be continued...
3 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: the lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by torrent sites » 10/12/17, 13:55

The "pests":
Slugs led me hard at a time (in the beginning) :( . They ravaged whole cultures. So I tried the night pickup (flashlight) for two years; it worked very well (and the neighbor's hens were happy : Lol: ) but at night I like to sleep so I stopped : roll: .
After two years of this treatment, I had the impression that the "system" was somewhat balanced (I have carabids that roam here and there, 3 orvets last summer under the hay.
If the attacks are too virulent I put some ferramol (I'm not too fan, but nightlife I do not like either) : Oops: .
The field mice also appeared (they even ate a tomato : Shock: ). There I have not found much solution outside trapping: I take the traps of the neighbor and usually in less than an hour I caught him 8) .
Aphids and other critters have almost disappeared from the kitchen garden (I do not know why so I will not advance any more) 8)

My different tests and failures:
While doing research on the net I had found different techniques of cultures that I implemented to see the results at home

- The mounds with wood in it (type hugelkultur): I made 3, I let them come to term but will not renew the experience because inconclusive at home

- Lasagna: I made lasagna. I have not been convinced either and am not too fond of material burial

- The non tillage: I stopped beaker and pass the tiller in the spring from the 1ère year (my god that was the blow of the club for some). Investment in a 4 grelinette teeth that I spend in the fall, in the spring (this allows faster warming) and between 2 crops. I tried to do without a year but my land is still too heavy for that

- Surface composting: I only practice it in the fall, in the summer I feed a composter that gives me soil for my seedlings

- Mulching: in spring my first clippings are spread out on the ground and covered with hay. This gives me a natural supply of nitrogen and prevents me from overloading the composter. The rest of the time it's hay, still hay and always hay. In the fall (I am usually in hay), all the plants torn from my home, my neighbors, etc., are used for mulching, as well as dead leaves and other waste that I can find on the left and on the right.

- The oyas very fashionable this year : Lol: : I got terracotta pots converted to oya. It was to show someone that it is not worth investing when we have it at home. It will not be reproduced next year because no interest for me if the mulching is correct

- The shelter for tomatoes: indispensable for me. For seven years that I made one, I had no attack of mildew 8) so I keep doing one every year.

- My greenhouse was (since it is no longer for two) a greenhouse made entirely of glass. Following several worries with the wind and the ras bowl to buy back tiles : Cry: , I replaced the side by structures in nylons. This allows me to modulate the openings in summer and to lower the temperature inside (so I use it all year round). Over time the earth has become dust (it does not rain in it), so in winter the snow that I clear (that will be the case this afternoon) will be deposited in it. In the spring the land was a little "restructured" and it gives me good results on crops

- Manure: As I learned at my expense, cow manure and heavy soil do not mix well so I use horse manure from time to time (not every year)

watering
At my beginning in the mulching, during dry weather, I neglected watering. Anyway it's wet below. But the last two summers were very dry and the plants stagnated a little (in the surrounding plots in "traditional" mode also although they watered between one and two times a day). So I decided to water regularly, every 2-3 days (keep in mind the exposure of my garden). Where in others it stagnated, at home growth has resumed.
In conclusion the mulching is good but we must still check from time to time : Wink: .

To be continued...
Last edited by torrent sites the 10 / 12 / 17, 13: 59, 1 edited once.
1 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: the lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by torrent sites » 10/12/17, 13:58

Collateral "damage" : Cheesy:
I took the habit of giving my too full of vegetables (and this year Mother Nature was very generous) as a dealer for the 1ère dose (I admit the comparison is not top). I hope that eventually people will become addicted to these modes of culture by seeing the results.

I have also learned or learned some techniques that have been a little forgotten in recent years. Indeed, my goal is to use the least possible mechanization. So I recovered an old fake, learned to beat it (it starts to come slowly) and mow. What a pleasure the use of a fake: 0 noise, it goes as fast as a brush cutter when you have the hand and I save a subscription to the gym : Cheesy: .

For fun I also mounted a mini rocket stove in mud and hay with my daughter (it was a pleasant morning diner). We even cooked bacon to try

Having a small bundle of old stone sandstone Vosges hanging, I made a dry stone wall (it was old stone cut that I trim). This is the happiness of lizards and other critters.

I try to repair as much as possible things that can break (mower, chainsaw, appliances, ...) and to use techniques called "old" for construction or manufacture (if I had known this earlier my house would be very different ).

Conclusion
One day I teased a neighbor who was hoeing and removing the weeds: inevitably, apart from bindweed (which I find, once dry, is one of the best mulch that exists), I have almost no more.
He answered me, rightly: the time that you no longer spend in the garden to clean and water, you spend it looking for hay and other, so in the end it's the same.
I was fully aware of that, but he did well to remind me. Indeed, wishing to be an autonomous maximum, I manage as well as I can to find the inputs and on top of the market I try to limit maximum mechanization.

So permaculture or any other term more suitable than you find in my style of vegetable garden (see life), although we joked about it (lazy garden, etc.) still remains time-consuming and hard work. Through various readings that I made on the net (not necessarily here), it seems that it's super easy: we throw straw on the ground, 3 seeds in the air and it's gone for a crop of one hundredweight. This is false and I think that is what leads to failure most people who wanted tried and stopped.

There is therefore a significant workload depending on the size, except that the work done is a plus for the soil that will make us and a plus for the planet that needs it.
More personally, I am not a survivalist or advocate the end of the world, but I remain convinced that the system we all know has reached its limits. Knowing how to deal with nature and doing simple things may be an asset for the future.

Ps: you brave reader that you are, if you read this is that you have typed all the previous pages. If that's not courage I do not know what it is : Cheesy:
4 x
Christophe

Re: The lazy garden made in northern Elsass

by Christophe » 10/12/17, 14:07

Hopla Geiss! : Cheesy:

Le webmunster welcome to you here! : Mrgreen:

Thank you for your feedback, you may one day meet did67 since he lives in "central" Alsace : Mrgreen:
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 10/12/17, 14:12

The webmunster welcomes you here! : Mrgreen:

: Lol: thanks to you

if I remember correctly he's going to obernai, so occasionally I'll go to his place.
since he lives in "central" Alsace

I'll have to think about getting my vaccines for this long journey : Mrgreen:
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 10/12/17, 16:02

Torrent,

Welcome!
It was not too hard to finish your few posts for me ... I'm on the same line as you for hay recovery, and as I just put myself in it I'm not competing yet, but we must prepare for it.
Chronophage is true, but with watering less, the regularity is (much) less important.

Olivier
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 10/12/17, 16:21

Let's say that time is distributed differently.
I am satisfied with this method, but I still like things to be clear. Selling a dream is not my kind : Wink:

Do you also pass the rake in the fields around your house? : Lol:
please say yes, I will feel less lonely
0 x
Lolounette
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Lolounette » 10/12/17, 16:54

I rake the edges of ditches of my commune: it counts? : Mrgreen:
on the other hand the scythe I stayed at the stage where "it would have to be beaten but it's easier on youtube than in real life" : Lol:

I welcome you to the forum anyway : Wink:
0 x
torrent sites
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by torrent sites » 10/12/17, 17:09

yes it also counts : Mrgreen:
I did it very little because I always have a fear when it comes to the various pollutants (hydrocarbons, etc.) which are washed away by the rains towards the ditches. by recovering this "hay" we bring them back to the garden (at least I think).

for the fake, there is a tool that allows you to beat them without too much risk to miss: https://www.dictum.com/fr/outils/outils ... gKlavD_BwE

I have never used it but it seems that it works pretty well (the link is an example, there may be other cheaper ones that exists
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 10/12/17, 17:26

Welcome to you! 8)
Would not your nickname result from your loquacity? : Wink: But no one will complain, reassure yourself! : Lol:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."