Canopy?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Canopy?

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/07/17, 17:52

This subject arises following the viewing of some videos from the chain Maraichage Sol vivant and during which, on several occasions, it was reported that hefty tarpaulins were used to "kill the meadow" (sic).

When I say strong, it's 6 months in summer ... so I'm not telling you the heat under the cover.

The question I ask myself is:

That it crashes the annuals I want well but what damage on the living organisms of the ground and under ground of which we know all the utility?

Is there anyone left living below after such a "saunatic night"?

And I add the same under the greenhouse ... hay - tarpaulin - hay ... ah it is sure that nothing exceeds ... :)

But what about the ground in the more or less long term ???
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The tarpaulin?

by olivier75 » 20/07/17, 18:31

You shorten it a bit too much.
He talks about tarpaulin, but never on bare ground, at least on crop residue, and Francois mule insists several times on thickening the layer if necessary, so as not to starve anyone, also not to hold the tarp with earth rods to leave oxygen.
After, how it heats and what are the consequences, I can not answer you.
Olivier.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/07/17, 18:57

olivier75 wrote:You shorten it a bit too much.
He talks about tarpaulin, but never on bare ground, at least on crop residue, and Francois mule insists several times on thickening the layer if necessary, so as not to starve anyone, also not to hold the tarp with earth rods to leave oxygen.
After, how it heats and what are the consequences, I can not answer you.
Olivier.

Levavasseur still uses the expression: "the tarpaulin time to kill a meadow" and he republishes "it takes 6 months of summer to kill a meadow" brrrr : Shock:

However apart from this expression which makes me jump a little the essential is the tarpaulin

After my question is open.

Without knowledge of the subject it seems crazy to me but if they do I guess my fears are unfounded and that for 6 months "summer" everyone lives very well there ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/07/17, 19:41

nico239 wrote:Levavasseur still uses the expression: "the tarpaulin time to kill a meadow" and he republishes "it takes 6 months of summer to kill a meadow" brrrr : Shock:

However apart from this expression which makes me jump a little the essential is the tarpaulin

After my question is open.

I do not have an answer to your question, in fact I asked myself a little the same while watching the videos of Mulet and his disciple Levavasseur.

You have to believe that nature is very resilient!

That said, on the expression "kill a meadow", it is still the initial objective, to kill existing plants to grow others instead. Depending on your choices, you can turn it over, round it up, cover it, cover it with hay or other things, a mix of all that, but the idea is good to make as much space as possible of the point view of plants.

The two are still supposed to be market gardeners, they don't have time to look for their vegetables in the middle of wild grass! (although Levavasseur still seems to have some problems from this point of view, but its installation is more recent!)
0 x
jpg43
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpg43 » 20/07/17, 21:17

Covering or solarization is commonly used in organic market gardening a few weeks before cultivation to eradicate weeds. Definitely preferable to chemical weeding. However, I assume that the life of the soil is relatively disturbed. This one regenerates relatively probably. It can rightly be objected that this is not really organic however it is admitted with certain modalities.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/07/17, 21:30

jpg43 wrote: It can rightly be objected that this is not really organic however it is admitted with certain modalities.

Is that so? And why then could one object "rightly" that it is not really organic?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/07/17, 22:40

sicetaitsimple wrote:That said, on the expression "kill a meadow", it is still the initial objective, to kill existing plants to grow others instead. Depending on your choices, you can turn it over, round it up, cover it, cover it with hay or other things, a mix of all that, but the idea is good to make as much space as possible of the point view of plants.

I fully admit both the final objective of making room and the commercial constraints for pros

But what surprises me is that if 6 months of tarpaulin smashes everything below ... the concept of market gardening on living soil .... gloups has a little lead in the wing.

In addition he makes the observation himself that on a plot where he has tarpaulin only 3 months (insufficient duration) to kill everything .. well his crops grow normally and do not care as the year 40 of the so-called competition (in any case in the example it highlights)

So I said to myself chic it will bounce on ... finally the bachage is used for nothing or not much. But no.

Even more curious than carefully applied hay (not like me : Mrgreen: ) does not leave much room and that there are also suitable cultures to both enrich your soil and transfer the savages ...

In short it was a long time that I wondered on the subject following the videos of Mulet precisely, but there suddenly these latest videos of Welsch (by the way follower of biodynamics except in the morning because he is too lazy to get up and qu 'it is cold in winter : Lol: : Lol: : Lol: but who has the honesty to confess it) and Levavasseur have brought the subject back to light ... if I may say so.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/07/17, 22:44

jpg43 wrote:Covering or solarization is commonly used in organic market gardening a few weeks before cultivation to eradicate weeds. Definitely preferable to chemical weeding. However, I assume that the life of the soil is relatively disturbed. This one regenerates relatively probably. It can rightly be objected that this is not really organic however it is admitted with certain modalities.

There it is not a few weeks but 6 months and in addition the 6 hot months .... : Shock:

I don't know if crickets, tarantulas, grasshoppers and locusts, to speak only of the visible, appreciate.

For the invisible I call on a friend :D
0 x
jpg43
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by jpg43 » 21/07/17, 03:04

sicetaitsimple wrote:
jpg43 wrote: It can rightly be objected that this is not really organic however it is admitted with certain modalities.

Is that so? And why then could one object "rightly" that it is not really organic?

This is the same problem as the authorized use in organic cultivation of copper sulphate when we know that it also disturbs the biological life of the soil.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 21/07/17, 07:33

Jpg43,
It is not the same problem, the copper is permanently contaminated and the cover is temporary.
Olivier
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"