A vegetable lazy Sarthe

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

A vegetable lazy Sarthe

by Stef72 » 15/11/16, 11:08

Hello everybody

I decided to share some photos of my garden, in order to get in touch with possible lazy gardeners Sarthe, and to share some experiences.

Before starting the lazy garden:
First here is what the garden looked like last summer (July 2016), before I discovered the videos of Didier. First year of installation, with already some mulching tests, at some places insufficient (I realize now):
IMG_20160630_202247.jpg

Most boards were prepared with the grelinette, then covered with straw, leaves and a few thin layers of grass clippings. When the seedlings were set up, I spread the mulch, but did not necessarily postpone it later, which made me grass quite quickly.

We can see at the bottom a board of wheat, which found grass very quickly (I will come back later, for a test of wheat lazy).

So I made a small reserve of hay (small boots of 20 kilos bought on the right corner) to set up in the month of October.

Precision: I do not own this land or tenant: I use it until the day it will be sold for land to build.

First observation:
probably first an insufficient layer (~ 10 cm), but a line of small carrots covered pierced the hay:
IMG_20161114_171738.jpg

So, I added a new layer of hay, preserving this line of carrot

Experience of lazy wheat:

This is how I proceeded this year, hoping to have less grass on my wheat:
beginning the 15 October, instead of this board, there was a hedge / shrub, shaved by the owner of the field, so a lot of roots, never worked.
Starting place:

IMG_20161017_125725.jpg

I just cleared the leaves so that my wheat grains are in direct contact with the soil (no tillage):
IMG_20161017_130304.jpg

Wheat sown on the fly:
IMG_20161017_130629.jpg

then covered with hay (about 5 cm):
IMG_20161017_131345.jpg

at October 30, wheat begins to pierce the hay:
IMG_20161028_185555.jpg

at November 10:
IMG_20161113_123743.jpg

Stay tuned ...

That's it, I'll be curious to test other methods or get feedback, also aware that it does not necessarily make economic sense to mulch with hay to grow cereals. (It is also necessary to think about the harvest, but at home it is especially for the pleasure).

To see if some have already tested the Fukuoka-Bonfils method (with blanket of white clover) detailed here:
https://jardinons.wordpress.com/2013/01 ... a-bonfils/

Good day to all
1 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: A vegetable garden in the lazy Sarthe

by sicetaitsimple » 15/11/16, 21:18

Stef72 wrote:
We can see at the bottom a board of wheat, which found grass very quickly (I will come back later, for a test of wheat lazy).

Good evening steph72, and thank you very much for the recording of Didier's lecture.

I just have a question that may seem silly, beyond what you would enjoy what would be a sufficient answer, why do you make wheat in a kitchen garden, where what do you do with it?
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 15/11/16, 22:06

It's for fun and "family tradition" mixed with curiosity after reading fukuoka. Otherwise on the practical side I keep the grains for later and the others for the hens. The straw serves me as a little mulch. I would like to one day manage to make a (small) field in this way, without machines or tillage ... but the road is long!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/11/16, 18:51

There are still old varieties of wheat, disappearing ... There are some associations that care, but perhaps less than for the fruits ...

I had recovered (and unfortunately "forgotten" - I am ashamed!) An ear of an old Alsatian "bluish" wheat ... Magnificent. So some wheat can, today, be decorative!
0 x
Stef72
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Stef72 » 18/11/16, 22:33

Some more photos, with an example of a revived artichoke that pierced through the hay, obviously enjoying better conditions. Good news so! I thought I lost it last June!
IMG_20161117_164353-1.jpg

The saldes transplanted directly into the hay is definitely validated and level cleanliness of the salad is more practical. The other night I surprised a toad in the middle, so very good sign!
IMG_20161114_172316.jpg

A board in preparation with the famous carrots, I do some composting on the surface. Some mushrooms have appeared since taking the picture.
Attachments
IMG_20161117_164512.jpg
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/11/16, 18:01

Your salads are envy ... I sowed mine too late. No Indian summer this year at home - and that's it, it does not grow!
1 x
Nico72
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Nico72 » 19/11/16, 18:54

Hello,

yes, there are other lazy gardeners in Sarthe. And especially greedy to learn more.
In fact, I became adept at this philosophy by accident: it gave the "3 hours" potatoes.

Pallets and plastic sheets had been stored, stacked in an area of ​​the garden, on 9m².
During a storage session, we discovered a nest of snakes, a beautiful family of 5 members some of which were up to 1.2m.
These charming snakes had done work in addition to that performed by worms and microorganisms.

The ground was almost sandy at this point whereas all around the ground (meadow) was compact.
Potatoes were planted on the 9m², using a gouge that could be handled with two fingers so the earth was loose.
A tray of sprouted potatoes were planted there and this gave two crates of potatoes.
Nothing spectacular in quantity, but all the magic is that it took only 3 hours of work in all, (including the storage of tarpaulins here stored).

We named these potatoes, the "3 hour" potatoes, because of this.
Tarpaulins have been used to cover garden floors for a while, they have some effectiveness, but they are not as effective as mulching, mulching or "nosing". And above all, when they decompose, the tarpaulins bring pieces of plastic into the ground and that's not great.

A friend advised me to go see your site and your "lazy" videos and we are already prospecting for hay :D

I love the videos of gardeners lying on lounger, I find that hyper seller : Cheesy:

I love working outdoors and in the garden, but modern life offers so many possibilities to live, that it's hard to put priorities. So rather than choosing between cultural and gardening activities, I am very much in favor of lazy gardening practices.

Looking forward to reading you,
Nico72
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/11/16, 09:50

Super testimony on the natural aggradation of the soil, as soon as we stop fiddling, slaughter, in short to concreting!

I had also discovered a nest of snakes under an old pile of wood, stored on pallets, when I finished sawing it to bring it in. It shocked me when I lifted! The time to reason with me, to analyze that such "boas", they could not be vipers and let the heart rate drop ... Signs of biotopes not too damaged ...

Your place is probably quite wet (or humidity nearby?) And sunny ??? They love...

I rewrite it: I started with tarpaulins, before thinking a little and thinking "energy", to feed the organisms, to bring nutrients, to increase the levels of organic matter of the soils, to bring humus. .. The plastic particles are, compared to the absence of these mechanisms, essential to soil fertility, a "lesser evil".

The tarpaulin is 1 function: cover, protect (and, if it is black: warm up faster).

Hay is 4: cover / protect - feed the soil organisms - provide elements following its decomposition - maintain / improve the rate of soil organic matter (including humus) ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/11/16, 09:52

Nico72 wrote:
So rather than choosing between cultural and gardening activities, I am very much in favor of lazy gardening practices.

It's nice to find here an argument that I put in the intro of a book that I started to write ...

[Ps: And that may explain the sometimes violent reluctance of some, probably afraid of being bored, not knowing what to do if they do not have to scratch their garden every day ???? ]
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 20/11/16, 18:29

I also experimented with plastic tarpaulin a long time ago and I was amazed at the result: I had put the tarp after "grinding" the ground and planted cedar cuttings (it was the fashion at the time) and when two seasons later I uprooted the plants, the soil had remained as loose as when I had covered it, proof that a cover avoids beating and attacks from the soil. 'outside.

Did, you write:
Ps: And that perhaps explains the sometimes violent reluctance of some, probably afraid of being bored, of not knowing what to do if they do not have to scratch their garden every day ????]

This is explained rather by the attachment to an interpretive grid of the world which is partially questioned in its certainties; there is a risk, indeed, that if a part is invalidated, it is the same for the rest. It is very destabilizing, whereas the practice of an immutable ritual seems a reassuring pledge of truth (vicious circle tautological *: I do so because there are good reasons and these reasons are good, since I practice well).

* A tautology is a repetition in a different form; we often quote the doctor's sentence of Molière: "Opium makes you sleep, because it has dormant virtues". This sentence does not explain anything, since it is limited to repeating an affirmation.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."