lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

by phil53 » 18/09/16, 21:05

At the request of Christopher, I open a separate subject. I've already put some messages from my testing on the main thread.
It is true that it may be better not to overload.
I use a field that was squatted in vegetable crops there about ten years.
It is a sandy with probably clay below.
This first trial is mitigated because firstly, I started a little late to put the clippings on site in late April. Then a very wet spring.
The tomatoes we started getting sick, luckily the sun finally came and I could save a few feet more or less affected.
The foot of pepper and eggplant excess water is exhausted.
a zucchini feet normally purchased product after a disappointing start, it makes up only now. The second foot planted locally produced full of small zucchini that fail to grow, well not much even if I remove small.
A potato planted too late in fact small
My late planted beans were too thirsty and now vegetate.
With hay moisture remained long but it was very dry the finished dried sand anyway.
I have not seen one below earthworm no trace at the moment.
Some thistles managed to cross but easy to finally remove. Bindweed is not too bad and I let it until it climbs on plants, I occasionally hard to limit but eventually also involved in extracting things from the ground from the sun.

In another place near my home I put a tomato plant in a large pot of soil and another roots in the composter.
These are the feet raised spontaneously in the composter.
The foot in the pot shabby little result and small tomatoes (that are not cherry tomatoes), it has more bugs than I suspect pumping the sap.
The foot in the composter was an attack of caterpillars, even fruits. I picked up a little and let him finally he made some beautiful tomatoes.
Leaves on these feet are thinner, stronger than the one in the ground and also less productive.

I also raspberry bushes, I put the leaves in the fall. He has good product but not more than before without leaves. This summer I added a little hay and BRF.
Finally strawberries planted in potting soil purchased put on the scree mixed indescribable, backfill more or less. On the ground I added pine bark.
They have beautiful leaves but very little fruit. The drought has weakened them quite
I'll see next year.

Here is my little experiment started a little late, I'll try to do better
0 x
Did67

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by Did67 » 20/09/16, 17:49

The year was complicated!

What to See:

a) Does your clay does not make a bowl under your sand; otherwise, it can create in the sand, water stagnation limiting rooting

b) the sand is poor by nature and has a low retention capacity: retention of minerals, water retention ...

To correct this major defect, it is necessary to "inject" a maximum of humic substances. These result from the aerobic transformation (in the presence of air) of lignin by fungi. So one of your priorities must be regular contributions of "wood" (BRF), for a slow but long-term improvement ...

Hay, on the other hand, will decompose and provide nutrients "as you go".

Hopefully anecic worms still exist!

c) fungi will also install a network of filaments that retain water and ascend the wet layers ...

How deep is your clay? Is it really "play dough" or are roots penetrating?
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 23/09/16, 20:18

No it's not just sand, there is little organic matter, with grass and BRF and any matter that falls into my hands it will improve.
For the thickness, I have not yet checked.
For worms, I wait a bit because at the moment it is still quite dry despite the rain of it a week ago.
Besides grass and more isolated from the heat, as it serves as a sponge, you have a lot of rain before the soil is wet.
Last Friday the rain to wet half the thickness (about 15cm packed) it took a week for capillary whole thickness is wet even a little soil.
In my summary I forgot to say that I harvested a pumpkin a little small, a larger harvested at by a stranger.
My tomato plant in a pot with tomatoes produces a fair taste, a layer under the skin was white foam appearance. I think those are the bugs that do that.
Someone t already noticed here
I count retrieve asparagus feet that are returned to the wild, given your comments, I'll probably put some underground to prevent them lie down by the wind. With hay over obviously.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/09/16, 09:15

Yes, it will be enriched in organic matter and be structured ... We can just, in rare configurations, be above a waterproof layer of real clay (the one from which we make pottery) and there, this constitutes an obstacle to the worms, to the roots, to the water ... If this is not the case, and if the worms are willing to settle, it will start to be stirred ... If it is not the case (no anecic worms), I would try, to be honest, the "transplantation": locate a piece of wild, accessible meadow, where there are castings and dig up "blocks" with great force. spade, blocks that I would put in my square ...

Tomatoes, I do not know this phenomenon ...

If I understand correctly, you do "unwanted solidarity gardening"?
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 25/09/16, 08:20

Yes to the pumpkin in a squat is normal and does not bother me more than that except that I could not even the end result. Although the size is not a goal in itself, it is well to compare. Not yet mature, it was the size of what is sold in health food store classic but smaller than those of large area.
On clay, I do not think this is a completely waterproof floor below because naturally there is no birch or small ring are often classics too dry and poor soil too wet
Regarding the tomato pot, those are the bugs that perforate the skin. There are dozens of tiny holes in the skin. The chair becomes spongy. With this fresh and dry season behind the tomato plant in the compost bin product yet beautiful tomatoes not sick
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/09/16, 11:18

phil53 wrote:
On clay, I do not think this is a completely waterproof floor below because naturally there is no birch or small ring are often classics too dry and poor soil too wet

Yes, the stagnation of water is generally "attested" by the presence of rushes, sedges ... So if there is not, there is hope.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/09/16, 11:20

phil53 wrote:Regarding the tomato pot, those are the bugs that perforate the skin. There are dozens of tiny holes in the skin. The chair becomes spongy. With this fresh and dry season behind the tomato plant in the compost bin product yet beautiful tomatoes not sick

Interesting. I did not. I had never paid attention to the bugs. I also ...

At home, a miracle: the tomatoes that I had considered to be "burned" by mildew have resuscitated! I was able to grab some fruit!
0 x
max55thir
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by max55thir » 26/09/16, 15:50

Did67 wrote:
At home, a miracle: the tomatoes that I had considered to be "burned" by mildew have resuscitated! I was able to grab some fruit!

Like home! after removing all diseased leaves and tomatoes all, it went gave vegetables healthy! but this is the end ...
I was counting make green tomato jam, I would unfortunately not
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/09/16, 19:34

max55thir wrote:I was counting make green tomato jam, I would unfortunately not

Warning: not sure this is so good for health!

We make a big deal out of the toxicity of this or that pesticide; it is not to stuff yourself with solanine, a rather dangerous gluco-alkaloid. In small quantities, after cooking, we do not get intoxicated (in large quantities, by eating tomatoes or green potatoes, yes!). But traces of glyphosate have never made "chronically ill" either (except suicide attempts by swallowing a can), but we agree that it is not good ... Nature does not do only good things! Plants know how to defend themselves.

Do not confuse with tomatoes which "remain green" when ripe ...

http://lesjardinsdepomone.skynetblogs.b ... ertes.html
0 x
max55thir
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by max55thir » 27/09/16, 11:55

Did67 wrote:
max55thir wrote:I was counting make green tomato jam, I would unfortunately not

Warning: not sure this is so good for health!

We make a big deal out of the toxicity of this or that pesticide; it is not to stuff yourself with solanine, a rather dangerous gluco-alkaloid. In small quantities, after cooking, we do not get intoxicated (in large quantities, by eating tomatoes or green potatoes, yes!). But traces of glyphosate have never made "chronically ill" either (except suicide attempts by swallowing a can), but we agree that it is not good ... Nature does not do only good things! Plants know how to defend themselves.

Do not confuse with tomatoes which "remain green" when ripe ...

http://lesjardinsdepomone.skynetblogs.b ... ertes.html

I did not know it could be dangerous
At the same time, it was to just to make me a sandwich a time Sunday in time
I prefer a good brie small dej !! lol
0 x