What to sow for hay?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

What to sow for hay?

by chatelot16 » 01/09/16, 13:59

Hello

I just brushed a strip of 4 meters wide at the edge of the meadow ... brambles of nettles in the trees ... now the ground is bare and it will not easily grow good grass since the meadow was mowed before make it seed

what to sow? when to sow?

currently the soil is completely dry so nothing will grow if we do not water ... but I think it is enough to sow, and it will grow when it rains ... is this the right way to see

I prefer to open another subject than to complicate the subject of the lazy vegetable garden, which must be very courageous to take care of all that passes there

please
0 x
Did67

Re: What to sow for hay?

by Did67 » 01/09/16, 19:25

What do you want to do ????

- if no particular use, the easiest way is to sow a mixture of grasses; then "mow" regularly to decapitate the "perennials" which will try to gain the upper hand; little by little, due to successive mowing, the grasses ("herbs" will dominate; they develop when an area is grazed; they are "designed" to .... So just imitate regular grazing by mowing ...

- to enrich nitrogen, the same with legumes: alfalfa, clovers ...
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/09/16, 20:06

to do what? that it can feed horses cows or geese

passage to the old cooperative become gamm green ... we see bags of grain for various lawns ... and a single bag for meadow, too expensive and without any indication of the plants it contains ... about 100 euro for 15kg of unidentified seed I don't like it at all
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/09/16, 21:31

If I were to do that, here's a free thing ...

We are close to the harvests (some have already taken place).
In some area, the savages are mowed down for aesthetic reasons (and sometimes safety, along the roads to ensure good visibility near the "stop sign" in certain outskirts of a little more urbanized village.)

I would then take what was mowed and spread it where it should be on my land ... The grasses would dry and fall on their own to the ground ready to grow at the slightest rain then. Cost, a little elbow grease and the vehicle that is fine to recover a little (after asking, but often they burn it ...)
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/09/16, 21:37

the problem is that everyone mowed too quickly, mowed before it made seeds ... a little stupid, it would be enough not to mow a small part of the field to be able to sow and enlarge the fields the following year
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 01/09/16, 22:29

Of course, in this case ...
And you have to know the corner that you spotted, not to import invasive species!
http://ge.ch/nature/faune/especes-invasives

A list, in my corner:
http://www.vd.ch/themes/environnement/f ... hissantes/

http://www.bafu.admin.ch/biodiversitaet ... ml?lang=fr
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 01/09/16, 22:36

the basic "meadow" is ryegrass, fescue, clover.
But in any case, the seed is always very expensive.
Collecting semen from an existing meadow means taking the risk of importing weeds: thistle, rumex, purslane, and so on.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/09/16, 08:56

All my interlocutors "fear" the "problem" of seeds with hay ...

So use this "property"! You sprinkle a very thin layer of hay, which will quickly decompose and your seeds will germinate ... I will swing before a few handfuls of purple clover (defends itself better in grasses than white clover, which especially benefits places where grasses are trampled on or too short or lacking water ...) [look on "lessseeds" which sell by weight, so no need to buy a bag or a large bag: http://www.semencesdupuy.com/fr/produit ... verts.html / without ads!]

Do not fear the "unwanted":

a) think about "biodiversity"

b) they will come anyway: the "unwanted" are because they are invasive (otherwise, they would be "desired rarities"! It is maintenance, and repeated mowing that will give an "advantage" to grasses "made for" (grazing) ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/09/16, 09:00

Uh, you can try even more lazy!

For the moment, you do not do anything others than to regularly pass the rotofil or the rotary cutter to decapitate the perennials, brambles etc which point the nose.

And I bet a beer (Breton but organic) that the seeds are already there and that ... the grass will develop (with, in fact, some other annuals quickly eliminated by successive and close mowing).

PS: This is what I do before converting to a garden ... Repeated mows = grasses, designed for, take over! It is basic phytosociology (the behavior of plants).
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/09/16, 09:36

it gives me some idea of ​​the type of passing the lawn mower on road shoulders or meadow edges that have not been mowed ... and the mower will collect all the seeds

but there is at least 500m2 to sow ... so it does some work, and finally buying a seed bag is the simplest solution ... you have to choose between being lazy or stingy

buying seeds will guarantee that I won't import indescribable plants
0 x