Food mess worldwide on France Culture

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Food mess worldwide on France Culture

by Christophe » 12/03/13, 15:15

Food waste on a global scale in an image ... hey no we do not need more fertilizer or more GMOs to feed humanity ...less bullshit will be enough!

Sider, shocking.

Nearly half of the world's food is wasted, according to a recent British study.

Other data circulate, less dramatic. But in these times of crisis and when one billion people are malnourished, the scourge remains. A global awareness seems to be born in France, but less so at the environmental level.

Different audio or video arguments: http://www.franceculture.fr/emission-pi ... 2013-01-18
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/03/13, 10:55

Another infographic on food waste by FNE:

1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/09/13, 14:05

An article on LeMonde of the day: http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2 ... _3244.html

Agricultural and food losses cost the planet each year the equivalent of three times Lake Geneva in wasted water and needlessly occupy one third of its agricultural area. The production of these non-consumed commodities causes as much greenhouse gas emissions as the United States or China in six months.

For nothing. In a report published on Wednesday 11 September (PDF format),
(..)

FAO report: http://www.fao.org/docrep/018/i3347e/i3347e.pdf
1 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 09/11/13, 20:41

There is obviously a huge mess of end of chain, as it is demonstrated in addition.
Nevertheless the biggest waste is at the beginning of the chain and is located on the food choices in themselves ....
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 09/11/13, 21:25

Moreover some foods are thrown by their very structure as the bread (industrial or craft) which depending on the time can be used as a jump rope or drive nails and ended up in the trash in one day unlike a whole organic bread, on leaven, which can be consumed over a week and the few remains can be used to make French toast or vegetable pie.
in the same way the fresh fruits coming out of the chain of the cold deteriorate quickly without preservatives because too fragile.
What does not seem to have taken into account the study is the mandatory waste such as peelings, tops, bones, skin, bones and other non-consumable parts. When calibrated products are a matter of organization because they could be derived to processed products like juices that would benefit our children rather than coca or red bull.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/08/14, 16:13

Another infographic, by type of food this time: http://www.popsci.com/article/science/h ... nfographic

1 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Food mess worldwide on France Culture

by Grelinette » 19/10/19, 21:08

I reactivate this subject to share an anecdote.

We have 3 equidae at home (including Nénuphar, a Breton draft horse with which I share my horse experiments and some epic times). We also have 5 rabbits, 4 quail and 1 duck, (not to mention wild boars, foxes, badgers and other wild fauna that make us visit nocturnal), and all this little animal world lives outside in the fresh air and is fed mainly with wild boar. hay and cereals.
To improve their diet I regularly ask traders if they have unsold food: fruits, vegetables, bread, ...

This year Ministère de la transition écologique has passed a law to fight against waste: https://www.ecologique-solidaire.gouv.f ... oins-jeter

Suddenly, now when I ask the traders if they have unsold food they do not know what to do with and that they can give me for my animals, they answer me "No ... now there is a law to fight against waste!". :(

But as I'm stubborn, I keep asking and it happens that a trader eventually give me some unsold, but obviously now with some gene. So I asked what they were doing now unsold food ...

Well now ... they throw them ... but discreetly because it's forbidden but they have no solution!
Usually they put them in black trash bags, and hop in the evening it is thrown in the bucket, but with the greatest discretion.

What is ugly is that at the same time there are regular food collection operations organized by associations, usually at the entrance of supermarkets; it is true that it is more class to recover a food product that comes straight from the radius of the supermarket, via the caddy of the housewife, than to go get it in the bucket behind the building!

Our company is on the head: certainly there are businesses that are organized to avoid this food waste, often more motivated by the tax advantages than for charitable reasons, but we produce too much on one side, we throw much of the other, a law forbids to throw to traders, but nothing is really set up or organized to try to match these yet complementary phenomena.

I would not be surprised if a law forbids the population to breathe during pollution peaks!
(There is also a mayor who has forbidden to die on his commune because the communal cemetery was full ... : Cheesy: )

http://vadeker.net/articles/humour/lois_stupides.html
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/10/19, 22:00

A slightly brutal answer would be to say that if you have 3 equids it is normally for your pleasure and that you demerdes to feed them.

Then that indeed it is a huge problem to "distribute" in a "fair" way, according to the real needs, perishable unsold products, if you have a solution it is welcome.

Finally, it seems really inappropriate to throw stones more or less directly at food collection operations at the exit of supermarkets, collections carried out by volunteers and whose sorting and distribution are also carried out by volunteers and who do a substantial part of the "inputs" of "food banks" various type restau du cœur or others.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 20/10/19, 07:26

"fair",
but that's what Grelinette does: equi-table! : roll:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré