Rainwater: my experience 14m3 family 5 people

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
dimi010
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Rainwater: my experience 14m3 family 5 people

by dimi010 » 01/02/10, 23:34

Hello,

For five years in a new construction we are supplied entirely in rainwater.
two 7M3 concrete and buried tanks are sufficient for household consumption, roof: 100 m² projected.
The whole house is served even shower, bath and dishwasher. I already had 15 years of experience with a similar installation in Belgium. Over these 20 years, no problem.
For drinking water only one tap in the kitchen and one in the bathroom.
The water undergoes a pre-filtration upstream of the tanks and a 25 micron filter after the pump.
We never had to switch to city water.
For safety, a valve with control cap prevents rainwater from returning to the public network.
The promises are kept no problem of limescale of course, and 30 to 50% less detergent and icing on the cake, wash in rain water, you will appreciate the difference.

D.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 02/02/10, 09:34

Apparently, you still have a "city" inlet for drinking water?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
dimi010
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by dimi010 » 02/02/10, 12:17

elephant wrote:Apparently, you still have a "city" inlet for drinking water?

Yes, a municipal regulation requires any new construction to be connected to purification (normal and very good) but also to drinking water. (fixed term> 100 €) all this to consume 6m3 per year.
On the other hand it allows me to contribute to the treatment of wastewater.
It is possible to make rainwater drinkable with nanofiltration which proves to be safe and effective.
0 x
tatayet38
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Blower and Bladder

by tatayet38 » 09/07/12, 13:46

Hello,
Having failed to reactivate my account, I follow up on a PM.

The question being useful, as much as everyone benefits.
What is the lifespan of the bladder of the buffer tank:

Like any component, it may have been designed not to last! Mine is now 7 years old and it was recuperated, it came from an industrial water supply system. The acidity of rainwater is not a problem, it is corrected by the concrete tank. I checked the anode of the solar water heater and in 7 years it is practically intact.
What can happen is a slight porosity of the bladder, it is necessary from time to time to check the charge pressure 0,5 bar below the minimum pressure. The ideal is to make the recharge with nitrogen whose molecules are larger than that of air.
The diagnosis is easy to do, if the filling and discharging cycles become short it is necessary to check.
If once empty, the tank is heavy => HS bladder otherwise recharge with air or better with nitrogen.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/07/12, 14:03

My experience in rainwater equipment for the home came to a halt this spring .... The water in the tank smells more strongly of rotting than that which goes down the drain.
My tank is not made of concrete but made of food grade PE. The water is green l the filters before the tank become clogged quickly because of the foam coming from the slates ...

In short, in my case about 1700 € almost screwed up (I only count the cost of the tank, the pump and filters if I add the labor (a day of backhoe and backfill materials that I traded for help on site ...
The water in the tank is only good for watering the lawn (and again, not before having a meal outside, otherwise you cut everyone's appetite) and since I don't water my lawn so as not to have to mow ...

Maybe I should put chlorine in it, UV filtration or what I still know ...

It worked for about 2 years.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
tatayet38
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

chlorine and rainwater

by tatayet38 » 09/07/12, 14:43

Hello,
Chlorine is to be avoided at all costs! It will prevent the development of bacteria that will develop on the walls and precisely purify the water in a natural way.
The solution would be to install an air injection in the bottom via an aquarium pump.
It is also necessary to ensure that the water is in TOTAL darkness.
Here we take rain showers every day, so I can confirm that it is possible not to have odors.

to have: https://www.econologie.com very technical but interesting

Good continuation.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 09/07/12, 15:15

My tank is buried, and the inspection hatch is located under a wooden terrace. I did not get into it but there must not be a lot of light The only place where it sees the light (and still only a few tens of minutes per day is the three transparent filters in the cellar ... Oddly I 3 transparent cubis which have been full for 2 years, not protected from light and they have no smell ...

But I remain convinced that my concerns are directly linked to the mosses and lichens that fall from my roof (the cubis are filled with water from a galvanized sheet roof). I think I can say that there are within 10cm of mud in the bottom of the tank, the original pre-filtration on the tank is fairly basic (200µ sieve).
It is all the more unfortunate that during the time when it functioned correctly despite average precipitation, it allowed me to ensure 35% of our consumption, with the showers that we have had since the end of this winter , it could have ensured our consumption since February for sure ...

I did not study the project enough before realizing it, I am afraid, that now it is too late to modify (no more possibility of installing an effective filter easily cleanable before the tank) ... Unless cover my house with solar panels or there would be no foam ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 09/07/12, 16:46

Macro wrote:My tank is buried, and the inspection hatch is located under a wooden terrace. I did not get into it but there must not be a lot of light The only place where it sees the light (and still only a few tens of minutes per day is the three transparent filters in the cellar ... Oddly I 3 transparent cubis which have been full for 2 years, not protected from light and they have no smell ...

But I remain convinced that my concerns are directly linked to the mosses and lichens that fall from my roof (the cubis are filled with water from a galvanized sheet roof). I think I can say that there are within 10cm of mud in the bottom of the tank, the original pre-filtration on the tank is fairly basic (200µ sieve).
It is all the more unfortunate that during the time when it functioned correctly despite average precipitation, it allowed me to ensure 35% of our consumption, with the showers that we have had since the end of this winter , it could have ensured our consumption since February for sure ...

I did not study the project enough before realizing it, I am afraid, that now it is too late to modify (no more possibility of installing an effective filter easily cleanable before the tank) ... Unless cover my house with solar panels or there would be no foam ...

Macro Hi!

It is clear that if organic matter is in the water path it creates your contamination and odor problem.

Chlorination even if not very ecological remains a good decontamination solution, the tank must be well cleaned of decanted sludge and rinsed well then you filled with chlorinated water, you poured a little water to bring the chlorinated water to the tap until you perceive the smell of chlorine which you leave at least 24 hours and you empty the reserve by the pipes which are used as food.

The cleaning of the roof and all the conduits must be done before decontamination.

If trees are near the roof the branches should be cut to avoid further contamination.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 09/07/12, 17:28

Chlorine is not good :frown:
Making it is better. :P
With a little salt. A DC power supply. A filter with 2 wires.

As in salt water pools but on a smaller scale.

Alim + electrolyser

Principle of use

To this we can add oxygen: the aquarium pump
And the UV lamp.
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 09/07/12, 18:29

Hi Plasmanu!

It is a good solution for a swimming pool but to simply disinfect once a year it is not a little expensive!

No? :?

Chlorine dissociates under the effect of the sun which decreases its ecological footprint!
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.

Criticism is good if added to some compliments.

Alain