Irrigation and watering in full sun!

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Dada
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Irrigation and watering in full sun!

by Dada » 15/08/09, 18:16

Hello I am the latest, a question has been pursuing me for several days. during my departure on vacation along the road region of the moors especially, I was very surprised to see whole fields of corn watered in broad daylight under a sun : Evil: lead!!! there I stayed baba I thought very naively that we watered the night to avoid too rapid evaporation.I admit that it irritates me a lot, and also despairs me ... can someone provide me an explanation thank you :|
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 15/08/09, 20:57

the farmers water when they have time or when they have water, they also water at night but it is not visible. Of course there is a waste of water but the water is wasted when it goes into the clouds. Yes, however, wasted energy to pump.
Ideally it is better to water at night but when you have 100 ha of corn ...
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 15/08/09, 21:00

Yes, at night he eats and they sleep like everyone else. Maybe they even honor their wives ...
0 x
clasou
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by clasou » 16/08/09, 09:24

Bonjour,
Maybe a farmer will have a different answer, but it's true that he has to sleep too.

As for the cannons, it was said that with each jets it projects 50 liters of water, the distance I don't know, but their field rarely makes a circle of this surface, so every X hours it is necessary that it move them.

The disadvantage (can be related to the price it pays) heavy consumer not always well placed (risk of accident on the roads or on a very nice day we find ourselves in the rain for a certain distance) problem vis à vis the wind.

Now we see more and more who have ramps, about two meters two heights which are on wheels so consumes less and moves more easily (motor) and could or can be managed by a clock.

Now thinking about it is counter economic.
If we take a marathon runner it is because he does not hydrate as he is thirsty (when we should drink before feeling the need (a Belgian) : Cheesy:) it risks the heat stroke even more.
result it does not end the race risk of injury is to recover much longer.
Now a farmer who grows an ear and who intends to give a value to it.
It is better that it gives x liter of water during the course of the day and that the corn stalk continues to grow when the sun illuminates it and lose x% of water. Or it is better to wait for the evening than the foot is under water stress and as a result the water flows into the soil and the roots do not benefit because it no longer has the strength or the desire :|
Every year, I tell myself that I will test on a few potted tomatoes or I will always water with the same volume to see the growth of each so if someone has already done so.
Like everyone who puts products : Evil: in their garden I certainly tend to water too much saying to myself it is better a little more than the opposite.
a + claude
0 x
Christophe

Re: Irrigation and watering in full sun!

by Christophe » 16/08/09, 10:32

dada wrote:I was very surprised to see whole fields of corn watered in broad daylight under a sun : Evil: lead!!!

Humor: it would shock me more if they watered in the rain! : Mrgreen:

Otherwise your question is interesting: maybe nocturnal irrigation is also done right?

Generally it is connected to motorbike pumps which pump into the water table or pond or river. So yes it's a bit noisy.

Some guns are powered by quieter electric pumps and in this case it would be a good idea to do it at night to take advantage of the night rate.

Anyway, cannon irrigation is a big waste of energy and water, night or day ...
0 x
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 16/08/09, 11:41

With us the fields are level and the farmers use a lot of line sprinkling with water from small canals coming from the durance without energy.
Corn is initially an arid soil plant that grew without water ... and by selection ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 16/08/09, 14:01

Come on, two or three things in terms of agronomy:

1) Yes, normally, and except in the rain, the installations operate day and night (it would cost more to invest in double the equipment to irrigate only 12 hours a day).

2) The "water tower" depends on the capacity of the sprinklers (flow rates) and the "useful reserve" of the soil. RU is the amount of water that the soil can store "usefully" for the plant. It is the difference between the quantity of water in the soil when it no longer retains it (start of percolation, with leaching of mineral elements - which is therefore avoided) and the quantity of water when the soil retains it too strongly for it to be available to the plants (a stage that should also be avoided, because the leaf withers then). This RU essentially depends on the physical composition of the soil (clays retain more water than sands) and on the useful depth of the soil (the physical depth of the soil or that of the roots - whichever is more limiting). ).

So "watering" is not the plant's need, but it is to provide the quantity of water that the soil can store and make available to the plants.

3) What is true for a garden is not true for a field: in agronomy, we consider evapotranspiration, that is to say the amount of water evaporated by the soil + the amount transpired by the plants . We try not to have a situation of water stress for the plant, that is to say not to have the "climatic demand" higher than what the soil + plant system can provide. Otherwise, the plants close their stomata (small holes in the leaves through which transpiration takes place, but also the gas exchange of photosynthesis). If these holes close, photosynthesis is slowed down and therefore the growth of the plant.

So the evaporating irrigation water creates a microclimate above the fields (as well as the hedges which maintain it), favorable to the growth of plants. So it's not a problem to irrigate in full sun, on the contrary ...

This reasoning is not valid for a garden because the area is too small, the "micro-climate" is immediately swept away ...
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 16/08/09, 19:02

Christophe wrote:Humor: it would shock me more if they watered in the rain! : Mrgreen:

It is a practice that I have seen a number of times in the Landes and for ages. The automation of water management must be too expensive to save water ... free. As long as the peasants only have to use the local stream or the water table without paying, this is unlikely to change, unless the electric KW becomes limiting.
A+
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Did67

by Did67 » 17/08/09, 10:40

Flytox wrote:It is a practice that I have seen a number of times in the Landes and for ages. The automation of water management must be too expensive to save water ... free. As long as the peasants only have to use the local stream or the water table without paying, this is unlikely to change, unless the electric KW becomes limiting.
A+

1) See above: if the "useful reserve" is exhausted and if it rains a little (a normal rain, what ...), it can make sense to irrigate to "fill" the UR with the soil. Contrary to what you seem to think. For your information, the RU can be of the order of 30 to 50 mm of water - that is to say the quantity of water of a very violent storm, like "ten-year flood" ... So a "little rain" normal, this is little compared to the volumes of water we are talking about here ...

2) Unless I am mistaken, the farmers have meters and pay a tax ... I no longer know if it was planned or if it is in application ... That said, correct, for now, c is minimal ...

3) For the moment, indeed, the big expense is energy: fuel or electricity for pumping. Which is not nothing, however. So do not think that a farmer irrigates for nothing, negligently.
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "