Septic tank maintenance: how to maintain it properly?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Christophe

Septic tank maintenance: how to maintain it properly?

by Christophe » 20/07/09, 13:32

Although the whole in the sewer seems to want to impose itself everywhere (with exorbitant prices in the countryside but good ...) a lot of housing (a majority) still have septic tanks and I noticed that we had not really a subject on it!

This subject therefore concerns the maintenance of:
- septic tanks called "all water" (majority of new constructions in the countryside I believe)
- black water pits (toilets only).

So I create this topic to exchange information regarding the maintenance and upkeep of these 2 types of pits. I have already surfed a bit and I have read that:

a) Apparently all water requires a lot more maintenance (grease trap and filter to be cleaned every 4 to 6 months) while certain manure pits only require emptying every 10 years. And pose a lot of problems ...

b) The biological activators would be pipo: I have read several times I have read that an old yogurt would have more effect

c) Some pits receive rainwater which is a disaster (I read a testimony which said to have to empty every 2 months)

d) What is the mass (in reduction,%, of volume?) digestible by a septic tank in good working condition and from when do we consider that the tank does not work well?

Subsidiary question: instead of making an all-water tank, why not make 2 separate tanks in new buildings? Because the majority of pollution problems are on black water. Maybe the black water brings the bacteria necessary for the treatment of gray water?
Last edited by Christophe the 22 / 07 / 09, 15: 11, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 20/07/09, 13:38

Bravo Christophe, you are making progress: you have not written skeptic :D
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
tigrou_838
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

septic tank

by tigrou_838 » 20/07/09, 15:11

Hello,

to make my small contribution to forum.

I've been in the house for 5 years with a septic tank and degreaser, no maintenance for the moment, except for a sachet of product (XX net) every Sunday in the toilet.

I take a look from time to time in the degreaser tank, no problem, it's liquid as it should be.

it is a pit all waters, rainwater and gray water (black for christophe).

no smell at home. at the neighbor's house yes a little, but I don't know how he maintains his pit.

most of the rainwater goes into my recovery tanks and it is only the overflow that goes into the pit, so not often.

at home, I am not connected to the sewers of the road, but on a lost well I think, hard hard to see where the pipes go after the pit, it is quite deep.

normally according to the new regulations i will soon have to do some work to be connected.

in the countryside it is very long, especially with the level problems to go to the sewage treatment plant which is 8kilometres.

I pay attention to what I throw in the toilet as well as in the kitchen, and the cleaning products are natural.

Tigger.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/09, 16:50

elephant wrote:Bravo Christophe, you are making progress: you have not written skeptic :D

Hey Elephant, it is not because I stopped school 8 years ago that, when they correct me, I do not hold back!

Now, thanks to you, I would no longer write septic tank but septic tank, but I remain skeptical about the pkoi of this difference in spelling ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

Re: septic tank

by Christophe » 20/07/09, 16:58

tigrou_838 wrote:it is a pit all waters, rainwater and gray water (black for christophe).

No no I can clearly distinguish gray water from black water.

Gray = dirty water (shower, sink, washing machine ...)
Black = (very) dirty toilet water only

What is the product you put on? I mean what function? Because as I said above: the activators seem to be pipo ...

1 every sunday uh how much does it cost in the long run? What always "scared" me with this kind of product (valid for all additives) is that it is addictive and that when you stop, I fear it might be worse than before. ..the treatment.

tigrou_838 wrote:at home, I am not connected to the sewers of the road, but on a lost well I think, hard hard to see where the pipes go after the pit, it is quite deep.

Well if you have a lost well ... there is logically no pipe between the pit and this one ... the lost well is generally made at the exit of the pit (instead of spreading).

tigrou_838 wrote:normally according to the new regulations i will soon have to do some work to be connected.

I thought I read that it was mandatory for 2013 ... I ask to see because if we ask € 20 for road works to each inhabitant in the countryside to get up to standards ... frankly ... at home you ace may be a sewer on the roads but not with us ...

So at home if one day he asks us, we will have to put, icing on the "cake" (shit) a lift pump since we are below the road ... great energy savings.

We will inquire for a filter garden would like if necessary!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 20/07/09, 17:04

It is certain that raising standards could hurt more than one: one of my clients had to close his small garage and change jobs because the region was imposing 18000 euros on him to continue operating.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/09, 17:15

Ben in case of professional activity, the State SHOULD offer funding ....bankruptcy (destruction of at least 1 job) due to upgrading to ca standards should not exist... unless there was deliberate pollution before ... then it is normal that the pro "pays".

For an individual, asking € 12 per household to pay for the sewerage work I find it shameful in a country that tax labor at 50%! We heard this case in 2006 in Belgium ...

I feel that it will ... ch * er ... : Mrgreen:

Well, we are moving away from the initial subject concerning the interview!

Here what is the "good level" of a septic tank with poop? (please don't tell me: it's good as long as it doesn't overflow ... it's good!)
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 20/07/09, 18:03

Christophe wrote:a septic tank

Hououou m'sieur, he said a bad word!
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 20/07/09, 18:51

For my septic tank, I was advised to maintain it with a special tank product. At random I use Eparcyl not to name it, with the "wild taste" (? No I must be confused! : Mrgreen:). In short, a dose in coffee er sorry in the cabinet every week ...

Not enough hindsight to see if this improves the functioning in the long term, but in any case, this has a big drawback, after the treatment (the next day), the bottom of the bowl is covered with a small maronnas deposit of the most stews .... that the "biodegradable" Harpic product and with mint, please, cannot remove effectively : Cry:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/07/09, 18:56

Well in our case: since 2007 we have done nothing and we have no smell ...

In addition, the house was in second home since 2001-2002.

You have to believe that we "seed" well ...

Flytox and Tigger, you should stop "dosing" ... just to see and if it starts to smell, try the yogurt (more fresh it works better it seems) ... to see if it works!

: Idea:
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "