Discovery of a well in the garden, installation of a hand garden pump

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
bigcheese
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Discovery of a well in the garden, installation of a hand garden pump

by bigcheese » 26/04/20, 11:59

Hello everyone!

New on the forum, I did not find (enough research?) the topic presentation. Mat, from Morlaix (29) 35 years old.

We bought our house with madam 5 years ago. At the time, we were informed of the presence of a source and a well that I had looked for without success.

Confinement requires, we spent no time in the garden and, wanting to level a bump in the garden, finally ...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

An excellent surprise, under the amazed eyes of the little one.

It is buzzed and 5 m deep. The water is 70 cm deep, fairly clean and clear, odorless.
Given the shallow depth, it does not seem plausible to me to envisage heavy work for a connection on the house.
On the other hand, I would like to materialize the location of this source and enhance it to a minimum by installing a beautiful hand pump that could fill the watering can for gardening.
I am considering the purchase of a used pump of this type

https://www.leboncoin.fr/jardinage/1724057958.htm

However, as often, installing a pump of this type seems to me much more complicated than it seems. I wonder in particular how to fix the pump on a nozzle cover, how to connect the water to the pump, is it possible to pass the water inlet hose through the cover without weakening it. Are there any nozzle covers dedicated to receiving an arm pump?
And above all, how can I do all this while guaranteeing the complete closure of the well for the safety of my two children?

If you have elements which can enlighten me, I am interested.

Many thanks for reading me

good Sunday!

food
0 x
Christophe

Re: Discovery of a well in the garden, installation of a hand pump

by Christophe » 26/04/20, 13:38

Welcome here 8)

You are lucky 8)

It would be a shame, if the water is drinkable, do not use it for the house!

The first thing I would do for you is quality analysis.

If it is not good it will be good for the garden!

If it is good we will help you to size the installation ... see to make it drinkable! Everything is possible according to your goals and means! 8)

On the other hand, I don't know if the manual arm pump that you are showing can go up 5 m of water column. 5m is already a lot! 0,5 bar vacuum!
1 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 26/04/20, 13:42

Hello,

Indeed it is a nice find.

Is it possible to consider raising concrete on this well?

Just to secure the approach ... You are talking about a little one with you.
1 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 26/04/20, 13:44

Morlay Bretagne: Nitrates in shambles ... But it can feed the house very well (shower toilets ...) just the drink to avoid (like me with my rainwater)

The pump as shown in the ad is quite capable of raising the water by 5m ... But it must be complete ... Because in fact the pump system is immersed in the bottom of the well ... There there is only the surface part
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
bigcheese
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by bigcheese » 26/04/20, 13:57

@Christophe
Out of curiosity I think to have it tested in all cases, as soon as the confinement ends. From there to use it for the house I doubt that the source is sufficiently supplied to do so. And I do not plan to embark on any work for the moment.

@AD 44 for the moment two concrete covers block the opening, far too heavy for a child.

@macro what do you call a pump system?
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 26/04/20, 14:24

As you can see on the ad, this type of pump is fixed on a vertical support (solid!) That you can implant next to your well and pass the pipe through a hole made in the ring (below the cover, therefore). For the pump to be complete, you need this hose and a strainer with a check valve at the end ... So nothing too difficult.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 26/04/20, 15:34

Hello,

If you are a bit of a handyman, you can try to make one!

There are many tutorials on the internet that explain how to make simple pumping systems with a few accessories close at hand.
Generally, these are tutorials intended for associations that carry out humanitarian missions in African countries where populations need to pump water underground and do not have large means but are clever to tinker with a few accessories .

I had found a tutorial of a pump made with a rubber membrane (air chamber, with 2 non-return valves, also simple to tinker with 2 thick leather washers). This rubber diaphragm pump system exists in particular for cows to pump water from their drinker simply by pressing their hoof on a rubber diaphragm ...
Pump.jpg
Pompe.jpg (212.3 KB) Viewed 21022 times

Otherwise you also have the solution of finding an old piston pump on the boncoincoin or a collector.
like this one :
Bodin piston pump (2) .jpg
Bodin piston pump (2) .jpg (329.95 KB) Viewed 21022 times

(note that the pistons of this type of pump are made with thick leather washers which translate into a tube: one sucks water, the other pushes water. Perhaps a pvc tube diameter 50 mm , a leather washer and 2 valves, the piston actuated by a long rod made of a long concrete iron ...
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 26/04/20, 16:53

But a simple centrifugal electric surface pump will do the trick very well to raise the water of 5 meters ... once started.
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
bigcheese
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by bigcheese » 26/04/20, 18:15

The ideas are attractive, but not handyman for a penny, I will be careful not to embark on a project requiring some prerequisites.
I will first try to put the pump, I come back to you to keep you informed of the progress of the project ..
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 26/04/20, 18:49

in nine it is not much more expensive ... attention suction 6metres only
https://www.manomano.fr/p/pompe-a-bras- ... le-2040600
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "