Energy or hot water saving shower

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
Yveco
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Energy or hot water saving shower

by Yveco » 02/01/20, 12:46

Hello,
I have been experimenting for a few months, a classic shower which has been modified and I am not a pro, in order to recover the calories from hot water before they go down the drain. You can see a video at

Thank you for your return and good crafts to all
1 x
Christophe

Re: Energy-saving shower or hot water

by Christophe » 02/01/20, 17:52

Super concrete achievement as I like them!

How did you make the exchanger?

If I guess correctly you have passed a garden hose ("cold cold") under the grating and that if feeds the mixer with "hot cold"? It is a good idea because all the systems which existed previously (exchanger on the evacuation pipe with plate exchanger, spiral or cylindrical ...) posed serious problems of clogging and their price was prohibitive! The subject of the recovery of calories in the sewer has already been mentioned many times on this forum but no solution was satisfactory to me. Yours seems to be a game-changer!

Also I really like your temperature measurement process! We can see the rise in T ° of cold water which is preheated by a good 10 ° C (so roughly half of what it takes)

Have you been able to estimate the kWh saved with each on / off system shower? A (quick) shower is around 2 kWh, a comfort shower is 5 to 6 kWh (and certainly more if you take it at 2! : Oops: : Oops: : Oops:) ... So if you can save 50% of kWh (linear at temperature rise) that would be very good!

If you want to see the calculations, they are here: plumbing-and-health / price-reel-to-a-bath-or-of-a-shower-in-the-water-and-heat-t12727.html
0 x
Yveco
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Re: Energy-saving shower or hot water

by Yveco » 03/01/20, 14:00

Hello Christopher,
thank you for your very well documented message. I did not make a precise calculation but given the temperatures displayed we can see that the temperature of cold water increases by double so we can conclude that the energy saving is half, for a temperature of 38 ° hot water ...
As for the exchanger, it is a copper crown of diameter 16 with a length of 5 m. The garden hose is only used to have a more effective rinsing than the shower head so there is less maintenance ...
Yours
Yveco
0 x