Self-contained rainwater project

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Self-contained rainwater project

by twentymak » 05/08/19, 12:44

Hello everyone. We plan to make our house self-sufficient water, 100% rain.

At the level of our use of water we are 3, we have washing machine, dishwasher, shower, toilet classic water, watering the garden. Basically not an ultra-economical use, but we are not wasteful either.

I have already pretty much potass the various solutions, I have a pretty clear idea of ​​the installation, but I miss some confirmations and feedback to finish confirming the project.

So the installation will be based on:

- Department 09 Ariège
- Rainfall 2018: 602mm, 2017: 807mm, 2016: 803mm
- House 67m² with roof 4 slopes
- Inground concrete tank 10.000L cylindrical diameter 2.5m height 2.4m
- EcoMeter tank gauge (ultrasonic wireless electronic with digital display)
- Home made concrete water inlet filter on the square hole of 60x60cm on the top of the tank
With grating and fine wire mesh at the bottom, high suction filter, charcoal, gravel.
With a return to the rain so that the overflow out of overflow through this filter which will act as self cleaning with evacuation to the storm. (I do not know if it's very clear ...)
- Suction with a 1 "strainer valve with float. 25mm flexible hose. Or suction directly at the bottom?
- 230v booster set about 1000w with tank about 20L, in the garage on the ground floor
- Cartridge filter 10 thumb washable nylon grid 60μ where 80μ where 100μ directly on the inlet of the pump
- Triple filter cartridges 10 inches: Sediment 5µ> Activated carbon block 10µ> Activated carbon granules 5µ
- 10 ceramic cartridge filter 0.2μ for drinking water tap

And I hesitate to add a UV sterilizer, Is it really useful? I put it on the general network? Or just for drinking water? What power ?

Here is our project, give me your opinion, criticism, advice, feedback, etc ... Everything that you think is useful.

Goods.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Autonomous rainwater project

by sicetaitsimple » 05/08/19, 13:20

Hello,
I have a question about "100% autonomous". Is that the point?

Because in 2018 for example, with 602mm and 67m2 surface collection, it seems to me very little for 3 people given the uses described.

And if in any case a rescue by water from the network is necessary, there are perhaps other possible schemes, perhaps a little simpler and more "safe" in the event of a problem.
0 x
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 05/08/19, 14:38

I bring my contribution to a detail that may be important for your project ...

Here, we have rainwater collection tanks (1 tanks to 2 m3) on almost all the roofs of the buildings (several houses). This water is mainly used for watering and cleaning (cars, tools, equipment, ...).

We also have a very large reserve of more than 100 m3 made a long time ago as a fire safety tank because we are in the hills of Provence.

In recent years, despite more regular droughts and heat waves, I notice that all tanks are full in early summer and often overflow what was not the case there is more than 5 years.

Full reserve
2014-02-02_17-29-10_777.jpg
2014-02-02_17-29-10_777.jpg (191.34 KIO) Accessed 7270 times

2014-02-11_13-26-13_344.jpg
2014-02-11_13-26-13_344.jpg (359.96 KIO) Accessed 7270 times

Cleaning the empty supply (April 2012)
Water reserve.jpg
Reserve water.jpg (324.14 KIO) Viewed 7270 times

In fact, when it rains now, it is very very heavy rain, torrential, but that lasts only a very short time, often a single day. Moreover, in my commune these torrential rains do damage because the drainage networks of rainwater are now undersized, not to mention the eyes and canals that clog up because of the huge volumes of materials carried by the floods (leaves, branches, pine needles, etc.).

In short, I note during these heavy rains that the gutters, gutters and downspouts are now undersized compared to the amount of water that falls into a single shower: it happens regularly that everything overflows before arriving in the tanks water recovery!

So, my advice is to provide larger pipe diameters for rainwater recovery systems, and possibly systems limiting the clogging of evacuation and manholes, and facilitating their cleaning.

As such, there are already several years in a discussion on this theme of rainwater recovery, here on econology, Forhorse had given us a clever and effective diy of a rainwater recovery system that limited the accumulation of leaves in the gutters and in the water tanks for his horses ...
Rainwater Filtration.jpg
Rainwater Filtration.jpg (34.32 KIO) Accessed 7270 times
2 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
twentymak
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by twentymak » 05/08/19, 21:01

sicetaitsimple So yes in the idea the goal is to work only rain.

I saw on this site: https://www.stockao.fr/calculer-volume- ... -pluie.php

That I could get 46m3 a year and that my cons would be 73m3, but I do not see how the area of ​​the field comes to change things.

For the area of ​​the roof I put 70m2 because actually the house is 67m2 habitable on the ground, the roof is a little wider and is in 4 slopes which gives forcing a little more surface.

At the level of our consumption, actually we are equipped in a classic way, but we are not one to take 3 showers a day, have the washing machine that turns every day to wash clothes barely dirty, the hunt water it is not just a little pee, I wash my car and my terrace to the karcher for fun, the garden is just watered to a minimum.

If I tell the site that my roof is 75m2, that we are 2 people, and that my terrain is 500m2 instead of 800, I fall to 52m3.

Indeed with these data the installation seems undersized ... :(

Grelinette Very nice installation that you have, you I do not think you lack water! : Shock:

I have also noticed that in the summer we go on for several days or weeks of drought, and that when the storm shatters it falls severe.

We are well aware that our consumption will have to adapt to the rainfall, to exaggerate at the time of a big storm, everyone in the shower, we shoot, we start the washing machine. : Lol: And that's also why I plan to install the EcoMeter gauge to monitor the level.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/08/19, 21:18

Hello again,

apart from my question about the collection potential in relation to your needs (with the remarks of Grelinette to take into account, often in case of storm gutters overflow, and also the tank can be already full, so the potential n may not be fully exploited at times), I still want to draw your attention to the fact, whether you know it or not, that the installation as you imagine it is not allowed.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichTe ... 0019386409

Basically and for simplicity, the use of rainwater collected on the roof is allowed:

- outside, for all types of washing or watering
- inside residential buildings, for flushing toilets, washing floors, and "on an experimental basis", for washing clothes.

In short, anything that can directly end up with "the mouth", sinks, washbasins, showers, dishwashers, ... is not authorized.

And as you are subject to an obligation to report to the town hall, it may be complicated. Whoever installs a m3 recovery tank to water his garden should not be too worried ....
0 x
thibr
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by thibr » 05/08/19, 21:30

the analyzes can be surprising : Mrgreen:
3 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/08/19, 21:33

Our posts crossed, mine was not an answer to your 21: 01.

PS: I did not talk about the surface of the ground, actually no report except to want to estimate needs of watering, I spoke well of surface of collection (of roofing).
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/08/19, 21:36

thibr wrote:the analyzes can be surprising : Mrgreen:

I was just talking about legislation ....
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 06/08/19, 00:37

sicetaitsimple wrote:In short, anything that can directly end up with "the mouth", sinks, washbasins, showers, dishwashers, ... is not authorized.
And as you are subject to an obligation to report to the town hall, it may be complicated. Whoever installs a m3 recovery tank to water his garden should not be too worried ....
forbidden but how can they know?
There is no meter on the mains drainage.

The problem seems to be only the shortfall of water agencies ...
In the video, he recovers his rainwater used for watering.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 06/08/19, 09:02

izentrop wrote:forbidden but how can they know?

It is normally always possible to do something forbidden, otherwise there would be no reason to forbid it!

The original question was "Here is our project, give me your opinions, criticisms, advices, feedback, etc ... Anything that seems useful to you. "
I just recalled the applicable regulations, which I do not think is useless in case Twentymak would not know about it.
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "