Sealing of large diameter brass threads (pool)

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
SKR
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Sealing of large diameter brass threads (pool)

by SKR » 28/10/18, 19:54

Hello,

For the equipment of our swimming pools, we want to give up ABS in favor of brass sealing parts.

For the sealing of our brass threads (Outer Ø = 45, 55, 60 and 80 mm), we hesitate between the LOCTITE 572 (Ø 120 mm max) and the LOCTITE 586 (more robust, but Ø 50,8 mm max), without excluding other products or processes.

What would your recommendation be, knowing that our only criterion is sustainability?

Thank you for this advice.

Filetings brass.jpg
Threadings brass.jpg (233.11 KIO) Viewed 8666 times

Kind regards.
SKR
0 x
Christophe

Re: Sealing large diameter brass threads (pool)

by Christophe » 28/10/18, 20:22

Coincidentally, I just bought LOCTITE (blue and red) for a very different project (M8 braking) 2 weeks ago and I noticed that their catalog was to bang their heads on the wall so there are references! 20 years ago there was red and basta! And it was very good like that! : Cheesy:

The concern of LOCTITE is the price (10 5ml 30 € 30 ml) and I think to seal a diameter 80, there is for 5 to 10 € of product!

For me, it's not acceptable even if the price does not seem to be your criterion ... and there are alternatives

What do you think of the hemp, the hemp + fat ??

This is still the most durable (but do not be afraid to dirty your hands) but the tightness is to do again disassembly (as with LOCTITE)

Fake, I already put on PVC nets! It is not recommended but it works! : Cheesy:

ps: it's PVC the pool no?
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 28/10/18, 20:36

For sealing the threads, the sealing thread is easier to use without getting dirty hands
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/10/18, 20:43

At work we use mainly 577 or 5331
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/18, 20:46

I do not know the LOCTITE 55: how much is sold? : Cheesy:

I think this is 10x more expensive than no, because:

Filasse.jpg
Filasse.jpg (21.72 Kio) Accessed 8654 times

200 gr of tow = 2 € ... and we make hundreds of nets with ...

https://www.eco-bricolage.com/poupee-de ... 9YRKuLjKUk

To use with a little joint paste: https://www.eco-bricolage.com/pate-a-jo ... 9YRUeLjKUk (That's what messes up the fingers)

After in a pool, the dough, greasy, can pollute a little water ... but hey it's only once you're quiet 20 years (or more) ...

Otherwise there is teflon that is used without dough but it is more boring, more expensive and less reliable ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/10/18, 20:56

The problem of teflon is that the one found most easily in supermarket DIY is much too thin (history of selling rolls with a great length ...) which makes it fragile and ineffective.
You have to buy fairly thick teflon (which you can find more from professional suppliers) or, failing that, so-called "steam" teflon (also thick) but of course it's not the same price ...
When you have to start putting on more 20 teflon towers to get a watertight fitting, it's because it's too thin.

it happens to me to use in troubleshooting on hydraulic circuits (200 or 400 bars) and it holds as well as products like loctite 577 (which are strictly worth nothing once expired, and it happens faster than do not believe it)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/18, 22:10

That's why I don't like Teflon, yet I already bought some from my plumber directly (so I imagine it's "good") ... the girl is nothing better!
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 28/10/18, 22:31

The pile is quickly boring. At one time I swore by that (after missing a lot of connection because of teflon shit) but it's still tedious, and I'm not talking about the dough that goes with that is quickly messy. And then it's fine for large metal fitting (well it is the case for the original question of this topic ...) but for connections below the 3 / 4 it can quickly be galley. And for plastic there is a big risk of breaking the connection.
I did an entire automatic watering installation (2 "PVC connection) with 5331 and I had only one leak on the twenty connections made (and again it is because I had moved the assembly after taking the product) and that while spending less than 30s per connection.
I'm quite a fan of "chemical" sealants, or failing that of Teflon if I have any good, the tow is really only as a last resort and only on large metal fittings where I want a fitting waterproof the first time.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 29/10/18, 00:09

Forhorse wrote:You have to buy thick enough teflon (which is found in professional suppliers)
Not necessarily, you have to look at the label. In the supermarket where I stocked up there were 3 thicknesses:
0.07mm, the one where you have to do 20 turns when interplay is important.
0.1mm and 0.2 mm.
I am redoing all my heating and water pipes in multilayer and I have used 0.07 and 0.1.

For the pile I had a ball long ago but I did not know the coil, otherwise I would have adopted. As you say, it's annoying to get the right amount of the ball, I was forced to start over several times by fucking grease everywhere ... I continued to PTFE.
Depending on the connections, it takes more or less turns, the whole thing is that it forces a little but not too tight, to get a good seal.

It was the installer of the boiler who used sealing wire, I did not see the brand used, but as we talked about loctite : Wink:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 29/10/18, 01:10

Forhorse wrote:The pile is quickly boring. At one time I swore by that (after missing a lot of connection because of teflon shit) but it's still tedious, and I'm not talking about the dough that goes with that is quickly messy.

Okay it's boring, but it's durable in the 2 sense of the word ...

What bothers me with the LOCTITE in relation to the question of departure, frankly the price, after good it's not me who pays but hey ... when we can find a solution more ... econological, I do not am not against it! : Cheesy:
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "