Infinite shower with 10L opensource

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
djo59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Infinite shower with 10L opensource

by djo59 » 01/10/18, 18:38

Hello everybody
Before building my bathroom, I came across the showerloop (https://showerloop.org/)
The principle is to reuse the 10er liters of the shower to infinity by rotating them with the help of a pump through a filtration system.
I have already seen this for sale but 2000-3000 € .... There they sell the kit to assemble yourself (1500 € anyway) or opensource, they give the plans and components. They offer a race list with their estimated price that seem quite space.

Roughly speaking, the system consists of
1 valve 3 track, 1 sand filter, 1 activated carbon filter, 1 UV lamp, 1 pump and incidentally a heater.

Does anyone know this system or seen achievements?
If I am not mistaken, the UV lamp is used for living organisms, if so, what about its interest in the shower, it is not in qlq seconds that organisms reproduce.
On a site I saw as heater an instantaneous electric water heater of 4KW : roll: seems to me oversized. At a rate of 10l / min, so it should just warm the T ° lost during this minute is only a few degrees I think.

Here, some questions because 1ere view I find the system not bad and as I will soon attack my bathroom I tell myself why not if it's worth it.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Infinite shower with 10l opensource

by Gaston » 02/10/18, 09:54

djo59 wrote: if it's worth it.
I have a hard time estimating the profitability of this set.

- Power consumption (pump, UV lamp, heating, ...) :?:
- Consumption of raw materials (replacement of filters, active ingredients, ... :?:
- Life of the elements (electro valves, pump, ...) :?:

In the end, does:
1) The (financial) savings on each shower "pay" for the consumables :?:
2) Do we actually make a global saving of water (knowing that the manufacture of the elements also consumes large quantities of water) :?:
1 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 02/10/18, 10:51

I forgot to mention the amount of water needed to regularly rinse the sand filter (for a pool, whose water is much less dirty than a shower drain, it's scary :frown: )

I wonder if this system is not especially done for those who wish to stay 20 minutes in the shower after washing and rinsing :?:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/10/18, 10:59

Sorry for my frankness and technical honesty but this idea has already been seen and reviewed, it is to be definitively classified in the FBI (False Good Ideas)...

The price of the repumping and especially the filtering will largely exceed the savings of water and energy realized. The ROI will be negative even in open source * ...

I do not speak about health risk and maintenance operations ... (long hair quickly clog a simple plug, so a filter or a small pump is mission impossible!)

The recovery of energy via a sewer heat exchanger is a better idea, we can recover 70% -80% of the energy of water, but here too the ROI is very low (8-10 years of memory for 3-4 showers a day ...).

The subject in question is there and date of 2011: plumbing-and-health / heat-recovery-from-the-shower-a-french-distinguished-t11302.html (there may not be others ... do a search: search.php )

* If the economic ROI is negative, the ecological ROI also has huge chances to be ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/10/18, 11:03

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/10/18, 11:05

Gaston wrote:I wonder if this system is not especially done for those who wish to stay 20 minutes in the shower after washing and rinsing :?:

Even 20 minutes, in my opinion, it's not enough to get a positive ROI given the complexity of the thing (we just mentioned the same disadvantages) ... In short when an idea is bad, it remains bad ...

And if it's sold, it's probably reserved for eco-boos who want to have a good conscience ... : Mrgreen:

If public swimming pools do not use this type of system, it is not for nothing! On the other hand, given their shower consumption, it would be desirable for them to install exchangers in the sewer ... but this requires automatic mixing valves, but most public showers are not equipped with them (simple "push" button most of the time)

In short, a beautiful FBI ...
0 x
djo59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by djo59 » 02/10/18, 11:33

Thank you for your answers.
Indeed the example of long hair is ... problematic and illustrates well, indeed I did not think too much about shower gels and others : Evil: since I'm doing my soap myself (Make soap). And I did not see the maintenance of these filters so expensive and restrictive.
For the sewer interchanges, why not, even if reading across I remain skeptical but only for communities or industries, ...

Well, thanks to you, I'm going to simplify the editing : Mrgreen:
0 x