Recovery of rainwater: tips

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
charendome
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Recovery of rainwater: tips

by charendome » 25/12/05, 21:40

Hello everyone.

I come to share an experience with you.
three years ago I built a garage, not attached to my house. it is 6m by 12m.
before building, I first dug two pits,

one of 1.2m X 5m, by 1.5m deep, which I use as a repair pit (as in garages in ancient times (they were still not that stupid, it works even without electricity, and for security, 100% !!)

when in the second, it is 6m X3m by 1.8m high, I use it as a rainwater recovery pit (the whole house (140 m² of roof) as well as the two garages (120 m²))
I use this water for the garden and the washing machine that I move to the garage in the spring and that I come home when the first frosts come.
for the construction, I made a concrete on the ground, reinforced with 20 x20 trellis, then I mounted concrete block walls, leaving room for two posts along the length, which I concreted and reinforced with a chaining from 12 to 15 cm at height, also feraillé, then another chaining in the final with the rest of the height of the posts. and finally, a 12 cm reinforced concrete screed to cover everything.
to waterproof the walls, I made "like the old ones", that is to say a first plaster to roughen, then a second to the "bastard" (mixture of cement and hot), which I grinded, floated then smoothed during its catch.
it is possible that my tank "leaks" a little, but this can only be not infiltration through the cement (the first year I measured it often enough to realize, and I did not notice anything) and therefore, considering the use of water, this does not require any additional cost caused by sealants.

moreover, as my tank is totally closed, (I have left two diagonal manholes, which are obstructed by an iron plate), I have no problem of "greening" the water.

I plan to make a conduit to bring the water from this tank back into the house for the toilets and for the washing machine (which I would no longer have to move)

one thing: it also serves as a rain gauge!

happy new year to all.
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 25/12/05, 23:02

Hello
Cool your installation. I have an uncle who did like you. The connection to the house of recuperation water was very useful to him when there was a storm in December 1999. He was the only one in his village who could wash himself. Of course you shouldn't drink this water. In the same style he diverted his central heating piping to the living room fireplace, in which he made an exchanger at the bottom of his fireplace. A valve pours water on the roof in the event of an overpressure in the installation. Result reduced consumption of the boiler thanks to central heating with wood.
0 x
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by paotop » 09/01/06, 14:10

Hello,
you can also feed your shower with it, because if you usually have hard tap water, with fresh water you will consume a lot less soap (also valid for the washing machine). : Wink:
0 x
claude07
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by claude07 » 09/01/06, 22:02

Nice indeed.
How much does it cost in materials to do all this?
How long does it pay off?
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 10/01/06, 09:15

I admire, great job!

Just a question too: as your tank is dug in the ground, and therefore to a point not, do you use a pump (s) to use the water that you collect? If yes, how did you organize your business?

Thank you for sharing this experience.
0 x
paotop
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by paotop » 10/01/06, 11:24

me, I'm doing my installation for my garage, I have a concrete pit of 5m3 in which I descend a tube with brass strainer and valve.

I make a technical room in height with a booster and a filter to supply a non-potable water circuit ......... workshop sink, washing area, sanitary, etc ...

the evacuation of the used water from the workshop and the washing area then passes through a hydrocarbon decanter, then through the village sewer.

at the economy level ......... well the water falling from the sky, it's free .... the tank it was already there (old septic tank useless since everything in the sewer) .. ....

well there is a little work to put everything in place but in time it is all good ... :D
0 x