How much water does a bridge consume?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
MB
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by MB » 27/06/13, 10:24

The notion of water consumption is rather vague because it can be of different kinds. For example :
1. Photosynthesis consumes water in the sense of destroying the water molecule: the total quantity of water in the world decreases.
2. A swimming pool consumes water in the sense of storage: the total quantity of water does not change, but the available quantity decreases.
3. A factory or a farm can pollute the water: the quantity of water is constant, but not the quality.
4. A hydroelectric plant without restraint uses water, but without destroying a molecule, without storing and without polluting.

When we say that the production of a kilogram of beef or a cotton T-shirt consumes so many liters of water, in what sense is it consumption? In sense 1 and 2, 1 kg of anything can hardly contain more than 1 kg of water. Meaning 3 is qualitative (or else quantitative in the sense of pollutants: how many nitrates spilled rather than how much water consumed). Meaning 4 is hardly interesting: in meaning 4, a bridge over a river consumes a lot of water, but we are not going to destroy bridges for that.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/13, 12:08

Good question for the bridge lol!

I have not got the faintest idea.

By cons I made you a general answer on water consumption here: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post259509.html#259509
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 27/06/13, 13:46

And your bridge is steel or concrete? : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: How much water does a bridge consume?

by BobFuck » 27/06/13, 15:35

MB wrote:When we say that the production of a kilogram of beef or a cotton T-shirt consumes so many liters of water, in what sense is it consumption?

I would say the sense of water pumped into the tablecloth. If we pump more than the natural renewal, after, the level drops and water runs out ... So it is in the sense of the consumption of a resource (clean water easy access) versus its rate of renewal...

If you water with rainwater collected and stored, then we can say that you consume nothing ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/13, 15:59

BobFuck wrote:I would say the sense of water pumped into the tablecloth. If we pump more than the natural renewal, after, the level drops and the water runs out ... So it is in the sense of the consumption of a resource (clean water easy to access) versus its rate of renewal...

Good point, and so in a sense ... the oil is indeed renewable! : Mrgreen:
0 x
MB
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by MB » 27/06/13, 16:57

BobFuck wrote:
MB wrote:When we say that the production of a kilogram of beef or a cotton T-shirt consumes so many liters of water, in what sense is it consumption?

I would say the sense of water pumped into the tablecloth. If we pump more than the natural renewal, after, the level drops and the water runs out ...

Except that when we say that a cotton T-shirt consumes so many liters of water, we speak absolutely (not with respect to natural renewal capacity).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/13, 16:58

Yes "consumed" ... which does not mean "destroyed" or "evaporated" or even "polluted"!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 27/06/13, 18:35

MB wrote:in cotton consumes so many liters of water, it is consumption in what sense?

it does not consume anything.

The animals are pissing, the plants are drying up and their water is evaporating or in any case is coming back somewhere in the natural circuits in exactly the same amount ...

This is not the way to think.

The question is whether temporarily used water is taken from a reserve that is in deficit.

If we take in a bubbling river, no problem

If you take from a lake where there is little water, or near a city that needs water: problem

In fact, it's the impact of irrigation or unnatural pumping the problem.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 27/06/13, 21:19

Joke evening joke: a bridge consumes water that if it has its beachhead in the water! : Mrgreen:

0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 27/06/13, 22:37

Excellent question! But the question is, how much water does it take?
to build a bridge? How much water does it need to run under
the bridge to justify the construction or how much water flowing
on the bridge will it evacuate?
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "