Irrigate a greenhouse with a septic tank?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Irrigate a greenhouse with a septic tank?

by gentil33 » 27/08/12, 15:43

Hello everybody,

I have an idea that I would like to know if it is exploitable.
Voila, I would regularly pump the used water from my septic tank to water drop by drop overhead vegetables so that they consume all of the used water by evaporation from the leaves and materials as a nutrient. Between the pit and the vegetables I pass the used water in rain on a bed of sand (support aerobic bacteria) to denitrify the water as much as possible.
Do you think:
- that a 140 m2 greenhouse is sufficient to absorb 240 liters of used water per day?
- that vegetables that will never come into contact with wastewater will be safe to eat?

Edit by moderation: subject title changed
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 27/08/12, 18:20

It all depends on what goes in the pit!

If there is detergent, it is not advisable, just as stuffing your vegetables with bad bacteria can lead to illness.

I am not an expert in the field but I manage the treatment of waste water at the factory and the sludge goes through composting which has the advantage of heating to destroy bad bacteria and microbes and the liquid is passed through. oxygenation to reduce the DBo5 which eats oxygen; ene and is harmful before returning to the river.

By cons for watering plants is no problem!

Usually the earth with its bacteria and the lumbar is responsible for making this liquid potable for the soil.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/08/12, 22:31

Take the used water directly from the pit I doubt that this is a good idea, both for the pit and for the watered vegetables (not to mention who will eat them)
Use the water at the outlet of the autonomous sanitation system (after a vertical sand filter for example) why not.
I know that it is possible with water coming out of a phyto-purification.

But the volumes involved seem relatively small to water such a surface.

Currently at home I have no sanitation (I know it's not good) so all the used water is directly outside below the house (except WC we are on dry toilets) the ground is not very draining (clay) and yet the wetland is very small: the grass is very green on 20m² and the rest is as dry as elsewhere.

Wanting to recycle this water is a good idea (I would also like to do it in the long term) but in my opinion it is imperative to add rainwater recovery to make a complement.
0 x
gentil33
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Thank you for your answers

by gentil33 » 28/08/12, 07:27

Thank you for your answers.
I reassure you, my pit contains "clean" materials, ie human excreta and purely organic and non-greasy kitchen waste (everything comes from the garden), so no chemical risk.
The only real question I have is about the surface. I plan to put in the greenhouse large overhead bins that will accommodate 40% of the 140 m2. So I will actually have 96 m2 of real culture fed by my septic tank. So conventional aerial vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplants, etc.) will they be enough to consume 240 liters of water per day?
I just did the math. It is necessary to count approximately 1/4 liter of water per foot of tomato. On 96 m2, I can hope to plant around 1000 feet (of course I will not plant that!), That is to say 250 liters necessary to grow my tomatoes, to compare with my 240 liters of my pit, I am falling straight! !! Great !
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: thank you for your answers

by Gaston » 28/08/12, 08:58

gentil33 wrote:I reassure you, my pit contains "clean" materials, ie human excreta and purely organic and non-greasy kitchen waste (everything comes from the garden), so no chemical risk.
Beware of humans taking medication :frown:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 28/08/12, 12:37

gentil33 wrote:I reassure you, my pit contains "clean" materials, ie human excreta and purely organic and non-greasy kitchen waste (everything comes from the garden), so no chemical risk.

clean ???

no chemical risk can be but big bacteriological risk ... have evacuated a lot of bacteria by our excrement ... and it is not advisable to reabsorb them ... otherwise return to epidemics of disease of any kind like the or the well water and soiled by the lack of sanitation ...

if the water from the septic tank must be used to water the vegetables it must do so by a circuit long enough so that pathogenic bacteria for humans cannot proliferate there

the longest and simplest cycle is to let the used water seep into the ground, and to pump the water you need into a water table!
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 28/08/12, 13:20

chatelot16 wrote:the longest and simplest cycle is to let the used water seep into the ground, and to pump the water you need into a water table!

: Shock:

Last edited by Rabbit the 28 / 08 / 12, 13: 38, 1 edited once.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Irrigate a greenhouse with a septic tank?

by sen-no-sen » 28/08/12, 13:27

gentil33 wrote:Hello everybody,

Between the pit and the vegetables I pass the used water in rain on a bed of sand (support aerobic bacteria) to denitrify the water as much as possible.

Yep, watch out for bacteria, the sand doesn't filter everything ..., and it has to be cleaned in turn.

The other problem is that if you pump in your pit, there will automatically be a lack of water which can seriously slow the operation of this one.

What does well these days is the settling lagoons or retention tank planted with reed reeds, Iris, or bulrush which improve the development of microorganisms and allow the capture of nitrates and phosphates, it It is therefore quite possible to supply a vegetable garden at the outlet of the basin.

Nearly 20% of French municipalities with less than 2000 inhabitants now use this type of concept on new construction.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Did67

by Did67 » 28/08/12, 14:00

Is it "private" or "commercial" ???

To sell, it is strictly prohibited it seems to me. There needs to be a break in the cycle. You can for example irrigate plants that you are going to compost. The compost can be used.

For example, in an anaerobic digestion plant, all "biological" waste (kitchen scraps, slaughterhouse waste) must be pasteurized before entering the digester, in order to be able to spread the digestate at the outlet on commercial crops.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/08/12, 14:52

Did67 wrote:For example, in an anaerobic digestion plant, all "biological" waste (kitchen scraps, slaughterhouse waste) must be pasteurized before entering the digester, in order to be able to spread the digestate at the outlet on commercial crops.

I had also heard that the digestate had to be "disinfected" after leaving the digester for use in spreading ...
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "