pump system for initiating a siphon?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
epfyffer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

pump system for initiating a siphon?

by epfyffer » 09/06/11, 11:38

Hello,

I am new to this forumI have been going for several weeks now and in which I find myself very often! Indeed, being handyman and having the green soul without advocating the bare-foot-sock wool yack :-) I totally abandon the spirit of the site and Econology!

I will take advantage of your lights to point a choice I have to make, or rather try to find the best solution for my problem.

I have a small piece of land that has been landscaped (covered / table / bbq) and we are lucky to have a small stream which flows not far away (about 200m). We pulled a 1 inch pipe with a strainer placed in a small "basin" of the stream, placed higher in altitude than the outlet of the pipe (about 50m of difference between the water intake and the outlet of the pipe).

I thought that the slope would be enough to ensure the flow of water, which is true, but as far as we started all that. Indeed, to get out of the bed of the stream you have to climb a few meters.

Suffice to say that now to have water 200m lower we must pump or siphon to prime, then it flows by itself, but it is precisely the priming that I'm trying to "simplify".

We used a hand pump for a year, as in the little house in the meadow: -) ... It worked well, but as we rarely use this place the pump has "dried out", worse in winter it froze ... We forgot to purge it, in short, we will have to start over and put a new pump back in place.

My question now is whether, instead of a new hand pump like the old one, is it better to find some other system? Are there any pumps that you could make yourself? Or a system with a small intermediate tank that would be enough to reboot the system one time at a time?

In short, if you have suggestions I would be interested :-)

Thank you in advance and have a good day to everyone.
0 x
chlemagne
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by chlemagne » 09/06/11, 12:06

Hello,

The easiest way is to fill the pipe from below with a garden hose.

Not even need to make 200 ml on foot !!!

After that flows alone. : Lol:
0 x
epfyffer
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by epfyffer » 09/06/11, 12:10

Hello,

in fact the strainer and the pipe remain permanently in place (in the brook and up to our place).

Currently, when pumping "down" the water arrives well after some pumping efforts and a little patience. The system is working well. but if another means exists, one is a taker.

On the other hand, we do not have any hose and especially water available to fill the pipe at the bottom ... The solution is not conceivable ...

The idea is to know if the manual pumping system for priming is the best alternative, if yes should you choose a hand pump or a "round" pump with a crank that turns 360 °? I do not know this kind of pump and I saw that both types exist in stores ...

Thanks in advance for your advice.
0 x
Philippe Schutt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Philippe Schutt » 09/06/11, 21:38

you have to put a valve down near your BBQ,
And near the high point in the slope towards the BBQ a filler cap

Then close the valve, fill your 50m or more hose, close the cap, open the valve. 50m should be sufficient to prime the siphon.
When you're done, close the valve. The water column remains and at the next stroke just open and you have water without sweating.

obviously, you have to fill once. Or pump, in which case no need for the filler cap.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/06/11, 09:22

chlemagne wrote:Not even need to make 200 ml on foot !!!

400, there is the return too! : Lol:

Well, it's just the time that the bbq heats up? : Cheesy:

Can you give us a quick hydraulic diagram? With elevation and length / diameter of pipes per section?

The solution of the valve proposed by philippe seems to me the best: if there is a valve side strainer ca neither désaormerca side suction nor side discharge (tap) ...

Just do not forget to defuse in the winter! Otherwise bye bye faucet and hose in case of prolonged frost ...

ps:

Indeed, being handyman and having the green soul without advocating the bare-foot-sock wool yack :-) I totally abandon the spirit of the site and Econology!

: Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Same, and you know what? We are not even badEconologists to ride a motorcycle !
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 10/06/11, 11:51

But priming you only do it once a year right?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/06/11, 11:59

Ben a priori no: the diameter of the pipe (and the pressure) must ensure that there is systematic defusing after a while ...

Otherwise I did not understand the problem ...
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

siphon

by oli 80 » 05/07/11, 23:04

Good evening, it would be enough to have a kind of pump accordion, a can like the siphons with pear to start it
these pumps are often used for oil stoves
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1pjntxmCrk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyTp-X7m ... re=related
if not make a diagram or photos of your installation because it is difficult to understand or is the problem, otherwise this topic will be fired up and we will still not understand

here is a craft model of an accordion pump
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u94NlFBZ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAPPG1ArkAA&NR=1
here is an accordion hose washing machine that is used in manual pump
Last edited by oli 80 the 14 / 07 / 11, 16: 27, 1 edited once.
0 x
JCV
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by JCV » 12/07/11, 02:46

It is necessary to make a siphon starter with a rather important tank,
which will serve as priming whenever necessary,
see the model below invented by Héron:

0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 12/07/11, 10:25

You simply need your plunger pipe in the creek is equipped with a check valve ball without foot spring. When you want to start you shake your pipe from bottom to top and it has the effect of a pump up to 1 meter of uneven about .. The loie communicating vases will do the rest
0 x