plastic oil tank cleaning water to retrieve?

Work concerning plumbing or sanitary water (hot, cold, clean or used). Management, access and use of water at home: drilling, pumping, wells, distribution network, treatment, sanitation, rainwater recovery. Recovery, filtration, depollution, storage processes. Repair of water pumps. Manage, use and save water, desalination and desalination, pollution and water ...
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

plastic oil tank cleaning water to retrieve?

by sebarmageddon » 25/02/11, 14:13

Hello ,

I would like to know if it is possible to recover a plastic oil tank (1500 liters) to make a water collector, it is a tank not buried.
there are on the forum several oil tank recovery messages to make it a water collector, but they are made of steel.

so, first you have to empty the fuel that remains in the plastic tank, then you have to remove the dirt at the bottom, and after?
cleaning with dishwashing liquid as for steel tanks?
karsher?
what to do ?
I would like to use as little water as possible for cleaning so as not to pollute too much

all these questions are there to know if it is possible, and to see if it can be done by polluting as little as possible.

thanks for the answers

a+
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/02/11, 14:37

What rain water will be used for ????
If to drink not advised at all (cancers) !!
Otherwise, the smell of long-closed tank oil must have completely disappeared.
Plastic big doubts, because plastic absorbs molecules well in depth and therefore very very difficult to bring out these carcinogenic molecules like naphthalene and the like !!!!

It takes a time comparable to that of the residence time of fuel oil against plastic !!!!
(basic property of the very slow diffusion process) !!
0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 25/02/11, 14:39

water would be used for the garden
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/02/11, 15:14

0 x
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 25/02/11, 15:42

yes Christophe, I read, but since the tank is plastic, is it not different from steel tanks?
I think in plastic it should be less restrictive since you have to do something for rust on steel tanks
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/02/11, 15:54

Indeed these 3 subjects concern steel tanks. So you will not have the problem of corrosion but only that of "potential pollution" and vapors.

Nothing says that the plastic tank did not impregnate "durably" the smell of fuel oil ...

What I do know is that it is very difficult to remove the smell of a plastic jerican having contained fuel oil / petrol ... even after X rinses.

But there must be chemicals dedicated to this kind of operation.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/02/11, 16:05

The fuel oil evaporates and therefore by heating the tank to 50 ° C and more in the sun, it should be released faster and with strong ventilation.
The difficulty is the heavy molecules that permeate it and never leave. Odor is a good criterion.
For the lawn few problems but for vegetables or what to eat uh ??
A method to try on a plastic fuel oil can to test. Can solvents after great cleanings help, like acetone?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/02/11, 16:20

dedeleco wrote:The fuel oil evaporates and therefore by heating the tank to 50 ° C and more in the sun, it should be released faster and with strong ventilation.

Well, that's what I tested with a plastic container that contained fuel oil last summer, boring it several days (2 weeks) open in the sun: it doesn't work ... the smell was still there. .even if it had obviously decreased (not much).

Then it may not be the same plastic (HDPE?) As the oil tanks (polypropylene?) ...

Question vegetable harm, some (balls) use fuel oil as a weedkiller ... :? :?
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 25/02/11, 16:28

You have to make the enzymes work!

Laundry soap mix with the tank full of water and leave to soak for a few days then rinse, dish soap (enzimes) mixed with water with the tank always full, which is left soaked for a few days and a good rinse followed filling with water to soak for a few more days and that should do the job to eliminate odors.

Tank plastics do not absorb odors much in depth, test on a plastic petrol can and you will see the result.
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
sebarmageddon
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by sebarmageddon » 25/02/11, 16:39

what you tell me seems restrictive

I can't see what the material of the tank is, it's a kind of plastic, maybe the material is written behind the tank ...
it will only be visible when the tank is moved
0 x

Go back to “Water management, plumbing and sanitation. Pumping, drilling, filtration, wells, recovery ... "