NOx gas sensor

Discussion of methods of remediation and control air quality.
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

NOx gas sensor

by Pierre-Yves » 05/07/10, 21:54

vehicles equipped with a NOx reduction system with urea have a NOx sensor, located at the outlet of the muffler and intended to control the cleanup (transformation of NOx into N2).

I searched the Internet for "NOx sensor" and found the list of vehicles that have it, but no trace of a vendor or manufacturer for such a sensor.

Who could tell me where to find one, with the nature of the signal it delivers? (robust, cheap, able to support 300 to 400 °)

Thank you !!!

Pierre-Yves
0 x
optimization, energy savings
http://www.avel-vor.fr
Flytox

by Flytox » 05/07/10, 23:30

There is this, a track if you have not already found it : Mrgreen: :

http://www.csm-produits.fr/html/meas/abgas.htm

Not all read but it does not seem to go up to 400 ° ....
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pierre-Yves » 06/07/10, 09:14

thanks Flytox!

I did know this module but, unfortunately, it is not appropriate. I'm looking for a sensor to put permanently in a muffler, to measure NOx in real time. I know it exists (all embedded devices NOx catalytic reduction are equipped), but I can not get my hands on the sensor itself!
0 x

Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 06/07/10, 10:47

Almost sure it's Valéo who produces it

Sale in large quantities

the idea would be to order it as a spare part from a dealer
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pierre-Yves » 06/07/10, 15:24

Capt_Maloche wrote:Almost sure it's Valéo who produces it

Sale in large quantities

the idea would be to order it as a spare part from a dealer
Thank you Capt

I did not know it was such a mess !! First, Valeo does not communicate the name of its customers: finding the right dealer is not easy.

Then the dealer (the one I found) prefers to sell the entire SCR system, not the simple NOx sensor beast ...

But I persevere !!
0 x

Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 06/07/10, 20:59

If you have the car models that have them, you have to go around the breaks to find one on a wrecked car.

Otherwise, as it is not related to thermal comfort, heating and insulation of houses, I move the subject.
0 x
[MODO Mode = ON]
Zieuter but do not think less ...
Peugeot Ion (VE), KIA Optime PHEV, VAE, no electric motorcycle yet...
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pierre-Yves » 06/07/10, 21:58

former oceanic wrote:If you have the car models that have them, you have to go around the breaks to find one on a wrecked car.
That's what I started to do, with little success so far: either the whole SCR is recoverable and no question of taking a piece, or it was not and it was put in the bin, including sensor!

In any case, if I find one, I will not be at the end of my troubles: nature of the signal? calibration? Does anyone have an idea about the working principle of this beast?

former oceanic wrote:Otherwise, as it is not related to thermal comfort, heating and insulation of houses, I move the subject.
Oops! I did not pay attention.
0 x

chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/07/10, 22:13

it is not necessary for the sensor to hold the temperature of the gas to be measured

it is enough to derive a very small part of the flow, to cool well this small flow in a rather long pipe and to make it pass on the sensor

it is not impossible that the sensor you are looking for works according to this principle

in all cases if you know good sensor for cold gas, it will be possible to use it: I think that it will be more reliable than the stuff built into an exhaust pipe, dead in case of overheating, dead in case of fouling

with a small pump taking a small gas flow you can not only cool the gas to be measured but also filter it!
0 x
Pierre-Yves
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Pierre-Yves » 06/07/10, 23:10

chatelot16 wrote:it is not necessary for the sensor to hold the temperature of the gas to be measured

it is enough to derive a very small part of the flow, to cool well this small flow in a rather long pipe and to make it pass on the sensor
Totally correct ! I think a lot of NOx measurement systems in auto control centers work like that. I even found an English sensor that could be used up to 50 °, which had to be cooled down.

My problem is that I want continuous measurements, with a simple, robust, automatic system (and not too expensive!).

In a vehicle with SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction), the sensor is (most likely) placed directly in the muffler, without a cooling system.
0 x

chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 06/07/10, 23:27

there is no 400 ° at the exit of an exhaust pipe: there are even days where it condenses, so below 100 ° c

So the choice of the sensor is not a problem of temperature, it is enough to cool a little: the problem is especially the resistance to all the cochonerie that there is in an escape

and we come back to political ecology

ecology is not buying a super expensive vehicle with all the anti-pollution gadget: it is for me especially disseminate the know-how necessary to do better everywhere: not only in high-end cars

So the dissemination of know-how is important: it is hopeless to see that a sensor exists and that we can not find the information to use them properly!
0 x

Back to "Air Pollution and solutions against air pollution"