Urban pollution: ban on cars in cities

Discussion of methods of remediation and control air quality.
nissau
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Urban pollution: ban on cars in cities

by nissau » 06/03/08, 16:50

how to pass a law prohibiting traffic in major French cities see taxing automobiles: : Evil:
interresant a document to see:

https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... Rf1dw3.doc
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/03/08, 10:54

Uh hello,

I do not understand much about you: are you for or against the ban?
Urban pollution is a disaster but that is not new ... 30 000 death per year would be caused in France by pollution transport! (Yes and guess what merdias speak? THAT dead 6000 5 of the accident ... times less ... would certainly not panicking crowds)

But cars are not the only source of urban pollution ...

And it makes 15 years that cars are prohibited in the downtown of Strasbourg for example (and probably from other cities).

Otherwise London has a "good" solution: take from the rich to give to the planet :)

https://www.econologie.com/voitures-suv- ... -3689.html
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/03/08, 11:24

Hi Nissau,

Your position seems extreme, and as often, it's too brutal.

Urban pollution also results, almost equally, from wood / fuel-fired heating (which has no DPF ...) and industrial emissions (Lyon is a typical example with its "valley of chemistry").

Noise and air pollution automobiles are certainly present, but could be reduced to zero in some years not producing hybrid cars like the Prius, and preferably rechargeable.

Finally, I can not imagine a city with no car. It must deliver to stores, transporting the disabled or elderly, very young children, etc ...

But I tell you thatas inveterate country, I do not see the city any short... :frown: it is a profoundly artificial lifestyle, making hyperdépendantes people and without any mark. Excessive urban concentration as we now know is even inhuman in many ways.

to +
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/03/08, 11:30

Ben saw the message I not grasp if A PRO or ANTI car in town ...

I would ANTI saw the doc on pollution linked it but ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 21/03/08, 12:12

I made the same "probable deduction" as you Christophe 8)
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 07/08/12, 14:10

Excessive fines: 12 million French relevant

By figaro.fr, AFP, AP, Reuters agencies - the 06 / 08 / 2012

A slight improvement regarding certain pollutants - carbon monoxide and sulfur dioxide - but no significant improvement for fine particles and ozone, causing respiratory diseases: such is the quality of the balance sheet '2011 air from the Department of Ecology. For PM10, particles smaller than 10 micrometers that penetrate deep into our lungs, "it is estimated that nearly 12 million French people lived in 2011 in areas that have not met the annual limit values," said the ministry.
The finer of these particles, mainly emitted by traffic in the city but also wood heating, industry and agriculture, are the cause of 42.000 deaths each year in France.
Recurring overruns in fifteen cities of the European limit values ​​- 40 micrograms per m3 annual and 50 micrograms daily average average not to exceed more than 35 days a year - may soon assert France to heavy financial penalties.

According 2011 balance sheet concentrations PM10 declined "slightly between 2010 and 2011 on industrial and rural stations," but are "slight increase" in the city and near the traffic routes. No improvement has also been observed for ozone (O3) also harmful to health.
Seven sites, much as in 2010, exceeded the annual limit value for PM10, Marseille, Paris and Fort-de-France, according to this assessment. "The downside is the traffic in the city, sometimes in winter, wood heating with an open fireplace," says Joëlle Colosio, head of air quality service to the Environment Agency and the energy Management (ADEME).
"The fight against air pollution is a major priority for the government," says the Ministry of Ecology, noting that the topic will be on the menu of the Environmental Conference of 14 and 15 September. A "working meeting" is scheduled for September 20 with seven volunteers communities to experiment with restricted areas to the most polluting vehicles: Paris, Saint-Denis, Lyon, Grenoble, Bordeaux, Clermont-Ferrand Aix-en -Provence.

http://sante.lefigaro.fr/actualite/2012 ... -concernes
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 21/09/12, 21:05

Delphine Batho, "We will explore other trails that priority action areas for the air '

21 September 2012 Cross

The cross. The project to establish "priority action areas for air" (Zapa) in eight cities in France is it abandoned?

Delphine Batho: We held this morning a meeting with the eight agglomerations were willing to experiment with traffic restrictions in their city for the most polluting vehicles (note: Paris, Nice, Clermont-Ferrand, Grenoble, Lyon, Bordeaux, Aix en-Provence, Saint-Denis).

Indeed, they were not able to file their technical file to the ministry to the deadline of 13 July. So I decided to organize this meeting we exchanged views. There is no question for us to stick to the failure of Zapa finding.

The candidate cities are in particular faced social problems these traffic restrictions. Indeed, the vehicles that emit more fine particles are also the oldest diesel vehicles ...

DB : This concern is legitimate. It is not desirable indeed to take steps to traffic restrictions which would penalize citizens most and which could be perceived as a social injustice. Especially as the impact of movement restrictions on the air quality is debatable. The situation varies across cities.

In the cities of the inner suburbs, in the Ile-de-France, studies thus show that the owners of the most polluting vehicles are also those who make a very occasional use of their vehicle. Prohibit their movement can be experienced as very detrimental, even though the ban would have little impact on the final quality of the air.

Are you considering other measures?

DB : For health reasons, it is urgent to improve the air quality in big cities. If some cities still wish to implement Zapa, we will not discourage them. But we will investigate other tracks. A whole series of measures, taking into account local conditions, can be considered and we are going to work with local authorities. How eg encourage carpooling, encouraging the use of environmentally friendly commercial vehicles or the speed limit on urban freeways. An interdepartmental committee on air quality should lead to concrete measures in January.

http://www.la-croix.com/Actualite/S-inf ... -20-855639
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 23/09/12, 09:32

moinsdewatt cited:

The candidate cities are in particular faced social problems these traffic restrictions. Indeed, the vehicles that emit more fine particles are also the oldest diesel vehicles ...

DB: This concern is legitimate. It is not desirable indeed take traffic restriction measures that would penalize the poorest citizens and that could be perceived as a social injustice. Especially as the impact of movement restrictions on the air quality is debatable. The situation varies across cities.

In the cities of the inner suburbs, in the Ile-de-France, studies thus show that the owners of the most polluting vehicles are also those who make a very occasional use of their vehicle. Prohibit their movement can be experienced as very detrimental, even though the ban would have little impact on the final quality of the air.

I fully agreed with this analysis, especially the poorest households live in cities: better proximity to suppliers, schools, service hospitals. Apartment cheaper than houses, transport links shorter links, etc .... By cons, many still use a car because some areas are inaccessible by public transport TEC or too expensive (try, for example to go to a family of big city suburb location to another Point on the outskirts of another big city .... easy to 3 4 hours away instead of one and a very high cost compared to 6 or 7 liters of diesel)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 23/09/12, 18:16

The car is already excluded by city centers pedestrian areas increasingly numerous.

Compare to Paris instead of City Hall or the Louvre Esplanade past and today. The car was exlue by creating pedestrian area. And Paris is not a very good example.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 23/09/12, 18:50

This is not exactly the same. I return from a trip to Firenze (Florence) where, as in many Italian cities, the historical center is accessible only to the few vehicles (rescue, taxis, buses, registered suppliers)

But it concerns a very limited area.

The friends I was staying lived in a very small parking area, but accessible to any vendor or friend visiting with suitcases (one side of the street, registered residents parking, across the street paid parking )

It is livable and efficient (we slept open window, relax!) But require a modest household to work to have a newer vehicle, it is not acceptable. A car for little 15 years made easy (I did make 220.000 km 17 years before a Twingo MILF gives us his Yaris)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be