Think about its habitat

Discussion of methods of remediation and control air quality.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Think about its habitat

by elephant » 25/10/06, 18:01

I give you a link to Yahoo, which appeared today which explains a lot about the current situation.
This article sums up part of the situation, I think.

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/24102006/202/l ... ement.html
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 25/10/06, 19:01

Great, I have been thinking about it for a long time now that living in a house with a small garden to grow your pseudo organic products is more a luxury than an ecology. (Okay, living in the city center would be a luxury too)
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 25/10/06, 20:54

Yes and no. Because gardens with hedges, trees etc are no worse than fields of corn of several hectares, without trees, lifeless and full of phosphates.

The problem would rather be what people do with their garden: tarmac, turf, herbicides ...

Otherwise, for travel, it's been a long time since I think that national roads should necessarily be lined with a cycle path. Because in the countryside it is often impossible to get around on foot, bike, roller skate etc. If you go through the fields, you risk lead in the buttocks and if you try the road you are more likely to arrive at the hospital than at your destination, because the cars drive at a crazy speed.
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 25/10/06, 21:27

Christine wrote:Otherwise, for travel, it's been a long time since I think that national roads should necessarily be lined with a cycle path. Because in the countryside it is often impossible to get around on foot, bike, roller skate etc. If you go through the fields, you risk lead in the buttocks and if you try the road you are more likely to arrive at the hospital than at your destination, because the cars drive at a crazy speed.

: Shock: Dangerous in your campaigns.
Crossing the fields towards my house is not a problem and I even saw this summer a flowery fallow where the "tourists" stopped to take pictures .... and some flowers 8)

On the other hand it is quite true that the "drivers" restrained on the main roads by the radars let off steam on the small roads
: Evil:
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
nonoLeRobot
Master Kyot'Home
Master Kyot'Home

by nonoLeRobot » 25/10/06, 23:57

Christine wrote:Yes and no. Because gardens with hedges, trees etc are no worse than fields of corn of several hectares, without trees, lifeless and full of phosphates.

Yes but hey if you want a less intensive crop, it will take more area, especially if you want to make biofuel. And there are still farmers who still leave hedges on the edges even if they are much larger (and hey it's still rarer I admit). Then little sheep or cow is nice, see more than a housing estate.

For the bicycle, it is clear that I would not like to walk on the national :frown:
0 x
Rulian
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Rulian » 26/10/06, 11:18

I quickly flew over the article. In fact it is precisely the same problem as suburbs in the USA, with their environmental consequences and the vicious circle of the automobile that it entails.

All this is precisely the subject treated, under a reading rather oriented "peak oil", of the excellent Canadian film (exists with French subtitles): The End Of Suburbia.

To see, to review and to review so much what seems problematic there is found line for line in our suburban suburbs.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 26/10/06, 19:33

When you live in Ile-de-France in an "agricultural" department, you quickly realize the problem and its real importance: it's catastrophic! :(

Fortunately, a glimmer of hope, we are now starting to meet some elected officials who are aware of the problem and who, although obliged to build housing in their municipalities (otherwise they will lose citizens, the poor ...), do not accept that projects favoring the densification of town centers with "city buildings" with few floors, pleasant to live in and consuming very much less space and various networks (roads, water, EP and EU sanitation, telecommunications, tec ...) that the perennial "villa" that I increasingly consider to be a selfish whim ...
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
lug
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

a few words about rural land consolidation and town planning

by lug » 28/10/06, 20:01

I was also involved in rural land consolidation operations as a surveyor
rural consolidation makes agriculture more rational, it is a fact but leads to the disappearance of hedges and also a sinking of arable land: the machines used are mostly heavy, causing a compaction of land which no longer absorbs water therefore flood worries

the same problem for subdivisions in the countryside: asphalt paving roads (waterproof)
+ poorly dimensioned or poorly calibrated roofs and evacuation networks constitute a gigantic space for collecting precipitation or flooding

few earthy spaces, meadows etc. to absorb the excess

These are the questions I ask myself while watching the news about the floods because all this at a cost, reflected on our taxes and insurance premiums.

I think that, despite ever more advanced modeling, few elected officials or promoters think carefully about the consequences of their decisions
lug
0 x
for our children, let them cleaner air and land without waste
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 28/10/06, 20:30

It must be recognized that everything was done very quickly in relation to the time it takes for a society to adapt:

in 1960, there were 6 of us at home, we could go by bus or bicycle to school, we had 2 small cars, going to see my grandmother in Liège was a biennial expedition, going up to Brussels a feat. The baker and brewer delivered with a horse-drawn cart (until 1963). The working woman and her husband, a railway worker, did not have a car. My mother, yet an engineer, was unraveling the old sweaters to recover the wool. There was a radio and a record player at home.

45 years later (tiny time on the scale of the history of human occupation of the planet: a flash):
The population of the planet has tripled! Between us 5 (my father is dead), we have a total of 3 large houses and 2 apartments, with our children, we have at least ten cars. Driving my daughter back to her "kot" in Liège has become a simple formality (2 X 1 hour). I no longer count the CD radios in the house and the 3 computers in the house are networked. We are certainly 10X more "efficient", but are we really happier?

I am sure of only one thing: the time has come to think about a number of things: working 4 X 9 hours, making more calls, accepting being cold in the hallways, investing in modifying your house, giving up certain distant jobs, taking the train or the bicycle to "go to the countryside"
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
iota
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by iota » 29/10/06, 08:42

Hello everyone on this foggy Sunday,

I agree with you elephant, times change and everything is going very fast, faster and faster.

When you say:

"I am sure of only one thing: the time has come to think about a number of things: working 4 x 9 hours, making more calls, accepting being cold in the hallways, investing in modifying your house, giving up at certain distant jobs, take the train or the bicycle to "go to the countryside".

Does that mean working 4 days a week and not 5? (if I understood correctly you are in belgium, I do not know if the working time is distributed as in France).
Indeed it is perfectly valid from an ecological point of view and for my wallet, it already avoids 1 return trip per week and a "gammelle". On the other hand from an economic point of view for the box which hires ...

Call more ?? not understood...

Give up some distant jobs:
heuuu, unfortunately I take what I find and that is not a luxury! I do not ask better than having a job near my home !!!

Being already in the countryside and living in a house of 2 centuries, I do not have the impression of harming the environment.
Eating already a lot of my garden, it saves me going back and forth for shopping (vegetarian trend, but a good sausage does not hurt).
Formerly living in the Paris region then on the French Riviera and finally in Burgundy, I know today the difference from a health and tranquility point of view, it's incomparable (even on the French Riviera).

I want to clarify that at present, it is my wallet and the health of my family which decides whether I take an apartment in the city or a house 2 times cheaper and 2 times larger in the countryside.

It may be selfish, but I do not intend to sacrifice my family and our way of life which although very modest, for bp of national ecology see world.
And I very much doubt that everyone here is ready to sacrifice yourself.
Now I try little by little to adopt a responsible behavior, to find solutions, to share them here and to talk about them around me in a rational way (if not we pass for a remained).

I think everyone should try to do with their means, each case is different and each has their own opinion of ecology.

Now when I wake up and hear that a freighter has emptied its toxic products along the Ivory Coast, I wonder why I break my c * l and yet that does not prevent me from continuing.
0 x

Back to "Air Pollution and solutions against air pollution"