Give the computing power of your PC climatologists

Discussion of methods of remediation and control air quality.
Forumecolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Give the computing power of your PC climatologists

by Forumecolo » 08/03/06, 21:47

Futura-science wrote:Among the many projects seeking to harness the combined power of networked computers, the “Climate Change Experiment” initiative could be a milestone.

Presented as “the largest project in the global history of climate forecasting”, the operation is the result of the collaboration of the BBC and climateprediction.net, which had already used distributed computing to develop weather models.

The goal here is to offer internet users who wish, via software to download, to share the computing power of their computer, in order to help scientists in their research on global warming.

Launched less than a week ago, the project seems to be very successful: more than 70 users have already answered the call. An encouraging figure, since the organizers had initially estimated that beyond 000 people, the available computing power would be greater than that of the largest existing computer.

Even if there are already participants in the experiment in almost all the countries of the world, their geographical distribution shows, to date, strong disparities: more than 70% come from Great Britain.

Well now, I just signed up to participate in this great project ...
You can join the team easily, everything is explained on this page : Arrow: http://climateapps2.oucs.ox.ac.uk/cpdnb ... d_main.php
It's in English but if you have any difficulties you can ask your questions here ...
The software is very easily configurable and you can leave it only the resources you want ...

In addition, the software performs calculations on climate change forecasts ... and you can see these forecasts live in 3D screensaver ... with the date of the prediction, etc ...

So it plugs you in :?: :?:

@ soon
0 x
neant
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by neant » 08/03/06, 22:57

ha yes excellent it connects me to connect : Cheesy:
it should make a nice screensaver.
0 x
Forumecolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Forumecolo » 09/03/06, 21:09

I confirm ... : Cheesy:
The modeling of the Earth in 3D which turns on itself in full screen, it is of the most beautiful effect ... 8)

@ soon
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 10/03/06, 08:13

:D On the basis of this idea I plan to propose creating a pantone database.
The idea of ​​work sharing is completely in line with econologist ethics, but I would like to go further to treat the data in a more scientific way and offer each of the participants a more mathematical analysis of their work.
I'm thinking about it, what do you think? :?:
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 10/03/06, 09:14

Great idea, Citro!
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 10/03/06, 10:44

I had already heard about this project some time ago, there is also IBM which had embarked on "grid computing" for the genethon, and other for the seti @ home project (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence ) to which I have already vowed the power of my proc : Cry:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/03/06, 10:48

These Turkish people make me laugh ... the power of a calculating pc is 10 x that consumed in standby ... The only real winners are the sellers of electricity ... :| For the results of the calculations frankly I doubt that it will really advance "Science" (we have supercomputer for that ... and send "sensitive" data to a third party even encrypted I don't really believe it ...)
0 x
Forumecolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Forumecolo » 10/03/06, 15:21

These Turkish people make me laugh ... the power of a calculating pc is 10 x that consumed in standby ... The only real winners are the sellers of electricity ...
For my part, this has not changed anything in my way of using the internet and my PC !! The screensaver is nice but I do not block in front for hours !!
For the results of the calculations frankly I doubt that it will really advance "Science"
So, I don't understand the interest they would have in doing such a thing!
Are they in cahoots with large electricity supplier groups?
They are in cahoots with the NSA to better file us?
:?
(we have the supercomputer for that ... and send "sensitive" data to a third party even encrypted I don't really believe it ...)
Perhaps not all groups of researchers have the financial means to obtain "supercomputers" or does this method allow them to save a little money to reinvest in other projects?
BBC wrote:One solution is for scientists to use the largest supercomputer they can find. But even the biggest supercomputers are only so good.

We think you can do better.

Using a technique known as distributed computing, we're hoping to harness the power of thousands of PCs around the world. If 10,000 people sign up, we'll be faster than the world's biggest computer. And we're hoping to be even better than that.

Or :
BBC wrote:The experiment works by making use of your spare processing power. All you have to do is use your computer exactly as you normally would, and the program will run calculations in the background. When it's done, it will send results back to scientists in Oxford, who will combine everyone's results. The more people who take part, the more complete their predictions about the future climate will be.

Anyway, if this topic is problematic, you can delete it, I would not be offended, I assure you :P : Mrgreen: !!

@ soon
:D
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 10/03/06, 15:28

Indeed, on this type of case I do not agree with Christophe but there, he apparently endorsed his habit of public prosecutor (well, of the one who accuses) : Cheesy: so I can understand his doubts.
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 10/03/06, 15:42

think again, econology,

the computing power of this kind of system is quite significant, I remember that for the genethon, the calculations were completed in a very short time (a few months) and they were far ahead of the planned schedule while the calculations were colossal:
http://www-sop.inria.fr/intech/grid/priol.pdf

It would seem that the power thus used exceeds that of the largest current computers (which also consume them anyway) and for an almost zero cost, while the computers are useless for three quarters of the time. It would be a shame to deprive yourself of it ...

Especially since the super calculators use neither more nor less than P4 type processors, sometimes see Xeon, which differs little from desktop computers. In these computers they are just put in series, which implies an intense cooling system elsewhere.

And again, it seems to me that very few private computers are used in grid computing. For the genethon, they should have made at least a whole room full of processors, maybe even a building, provided of course with a big Clim. For me, if it rather advances science. :P

As for the data, I don't really see the risk, they only send figures, how do we know what it is? and they get numbers ...
0 x

Back to "Air Pollution and solutions against air pollution"