Speed ​​limiter and power consumption

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Groar
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Speed ​​limiter and power consumption

by Groar » 06/11/08, 22:50

Hello,

Do some people use their speed limiter to limit their consumption?
If yes, when do you use it? (city, road or highway)
and how do you use it? (at the limit, above or below)

I'm talking about the limiter which prevents exceeding the configured speed and not the regulator which has a harmful effect on consumption (except when you live in a very flat country, which is not my case).

Of course an excellent limiter is the driver's brain;)
In fact I may be looking for an excuse to have one ...
In this regard, do you know if there are aftermarket speed limiters (for my cars mentioned in my signature)?

Thank you in advance,

Denis
0 x
ecodriver and ecomodder:
megane 1.9 dT 1997: 3.8 L / 100 instead of 6.7
scenic 1.9 dCi 2001: 4.9 L / 100 instead of 5.9
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/11/08, 23:52

Let's not laugh: with boxes like yours, already very optimized, especially to save PV : Mrgreen:

I have a GPS which reminds me where are the speed cameras : Mrgreen:
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Groar
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Groar » 07/11/08, 00:48

I have a GPS, but I use it to tell me where the traffic jams are and optimize my route to save CO2. On the radar side it has never served me anything:
. my ecodriving level prevents me from exceeding speed limits (except certain areas at 30 where I really have a lot of trouble, but I take care of myself ...) and
. my level of anticipation always allows me to see the warning signs.

In fact the reason I have for having cruise control is to do aerodynamic modification efficiency tests on my cars. Indeed, consumption is very variable from one trip to another, even when they are made in identical wind, temperature, humidity and circulation conditions. Using cruise control for these tests helps limit this variability and therefore provides a better check of the effectiveness of the modifications made to the car.

From a fuel economy point of view (I don't care about radars) I think that the limiter can still be interesting for some people who tend to press a little too hard on the accelerator.

Denis
0 x
ecodriver and ecomodder:

Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 07/11/08, 08:37

Why do you want a speed limiter if you respect speed limits so much?
Imagine that your limiter, made in china or otherwise, is poorly calibrated. If you install this kind of stupid gadget, it is to trust you, if it is not correct you risk being speeding.

In addition, with this gadget, you will be much less focused on your driving so you increase the risk of accident!

(For zones 30, I do not congratulate you, these are the most important zones to respect !!!Image)
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 07/11/08, 09:08

since the accelerator is no longer mechanically connected by a good old cable but simply connected to a potentiometer which sends orders to a computer, it is true that we can "potentially" program anything we want: regulator , limiter, etc.

I wonder if it exists or not but I thought when seeing some people driving (including my wife) that we could gain in consumption by making an algorithm which averages the variations of position of the accelerator.
indeed, what is harmful to the conso with our cars too heavy, it is the accelerations and variations of speeds (even weak)
by the way, this is where I disagree with a remark saying that the regulator is harmful to consumption.
in short,
some people who are not aware of eco-driving or simply who have adopted certain habits of which they are not even aware are PERMANENTLY making small variations in the position of the foot on the accelerator. these are all small accelerations followed by decelerations harmful to consumption.

I am sure that the math could find an algorithm which takes into account the speed of variation of the pedal (to react quickly to a frank acceleration) but which would dampen all these small useless variations of speed.
0 x
Click my signature
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 07/11/08, 09:22

Hi Dirk Pitt,

The limiter is therefore useless in several points.
The point you raise (variation in the position of the pedal) is of obvious importance.
Besides, I often tear my hair behind motorists who do not drive fast, there I congratulate, but who are not able to maintain a constant speed and there, it swells me.

You also have the idiots of the type: "Me, I do not drive fast, I never exceed 70km / h!".
Translation: "I have the impression that I am not driving fast because I drive at a constant speed but I drive at 70 everywhere including in built-up areas and in zones 30."
Those, I would push them well into the ditch !!! : Evil:
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!
Groar
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Groar » 07/11/08, 15:49

dirk pitt: someone is experimenting with the hijacking of a speed regulator to regulate the load on the engine (in english):

Cruise Control (with MPG sensitive logic)

3 messages below it gives its consumption on its daily journey: it went from 41.8 MPG to 47.5 MPG (5,6 L / 100 to 4,95, ie 12% of economy).

This regulator is not exported from the US and I have not found one available in France.

Otherwise the governor is bad for consumption because it tries at all costs to maintain a constant speed. At the slightest change in terrain consumption increases sharply.
The regulator is only useful for those who have a heavy pathology of steel foot. For others it is better to improve the one that connects the steering wheel to the pedals, it has a much better effect than a cruise control.

By looking at its instant consumption (if the car can display it) it is possible to see a 5-10% increase in consumption just because you drove on something and the shock barely moved your foot .

Gregconstruct: these are the variations in pedal position that consume. Maintaining its speed at all costs is catastrophic for consumption. You have to know how to accept losing speed to gain consumption. Maintaining a position of the foot on the pedal is a better strategy than trying to keep the same speed.

My best example is a Toulouse Bayonne via highway:
. 2h55 = 6,9 L / 100 => always at the maximum authorized speed
. 3h15 = 4,8 L / 100 => always 115-125 and 105-110 in slow routes
ie time + 10% = consumption - 30%

Now reducing your speed is a tool to save gas. When reducing your speed becomes a goal then you don't necessarily have the desired effect. In addition, fuel economy should not be at the expense of safety or courtesy. I do not allow myself to lower my speed by 20 km / h until I know that there is no one behind or that they can overtake. By cons I do not accelerate when I am at the speed limit and that I stick to the c * l.

Again, I want cruise control to reliably perform aerodynamic modification efficiency tests on a car. All other things being equal, the differences in speed of the regulator from one test to another will be much smaller than if it is me who manages the speed.

Denis
0 x
ecodriver and ecomodder:

dirk pitt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dirk pitt » 07/11/08, 17:49

groar wrote:Otherwise the governor is bad for consumption because it tries at all costs to maintain a constant speed. At the slightest change in terrain consumption increases sharply.

the speed differences of the regulator from one test to another will be much smaller than if it is me who manages the speed.

Denis

no i don't agree,
1- the regulator can be used almost only on motorways that are not too crowded.
2- in these situations there, unless you have a super climb, anyway you also keep the same speed when you regulate with your head, except that you do it less well than the regulator

your example is a bad example because you weren't at the same speed, it just tells us that at 110-115 we consume less than 130 !! we already knew! you should have set your regulator to 115

what would interest me (but I challenge someone to prove it to me,) is to do an A - B course of mini 100kms at the same time (ie with the same average speed) with and without using the cruise control.
I'm sure we use less with the regulator!
why because there will be fewer small variations in speed; you see, style we look at something, we discuss, we listen to the news, imperceptibly, we slowed down by 10kms / h and we press ...

your last sentence says it very well, like what ...

and for the climbs, unless they are so strong that it encourages to slow down, otherwise it's the same ... but it's harder to understand.
0 x

Click my signature
JCV59
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by JCV59 » 07/11/08, 19:17

Hello,

Using the limiter or the regulator according to the circumstances, I noticed that the speed ratio used (3rd, 4th, or 5th) had an influence on consumption.

Examples:

Highway regulator 110 km / h, on a false flat, consomation lower in 4eme 5eme in the mounted direction, and consomation weaker in 5eme 4eme in the downhill direction.

JCV
0 x
Groar
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Groar » 07/11/08, 22:29

dirk pitt: everyone (ADEME ...) agrees that an increase of 10 km / h in speed increases consumption by 10%. It is also possible to play with this file to see it:

http://www.geocities.com/frontsidesk8er/delsolaero.xls

My example was:

The route was 313 km.
In 3:15 it is 96,3 km / h.
In 2:55 it is 107,3 km / h.
The speed having increased by 11 km / h, the consumption should have increased by 11-12%, or it has been multiplied by 6,9 / 4,9 = 1.44, or 44% increase !!!

This proves that trying to keep a constant speed is a bad strategy to save fuel, except of course when you live in a very flat country ...

I did not say that I wanted a cruise control to limit my consumption. I said that I wanted a regulator to make tests under conditions as identical as possible because precisely it will be better than me to keep a constant speed. So if I improve the aerodynamics, it will show on the instantaneous consumption in multiple places, but also on the total consumption over an entire test route.

When I talked about using a speed limiter (not a cruise control) to limit its consumption, it is precisely because it is capable of ensuring that the speed set is not exceeded, but it will not prevent go below this speed. This is the superiority of the limiter over the regulator since it is when the regulator accelerates that it wastes gasoline.
For those who have difficulty respecting speed limits, this can be an effective way to limit consumption, even in the city. Hence my request for feedback on the use of a speed limiter (not a regulator) to limit its consumption.

For information, those who manage to save the most fuel are called hypermilers and use pulse & glide: they accelerate and decelerate alternately, rather than keeping a constant speed. This is due to the fact that gasoline engines are more efficient in phases of frank acceleration (not to be confused with foot to the floor), see the BSCF charts of engines. Rockets also use this trick to consume less and therefore need to carry less fuel and therefore consume less ...

(sorry, I only have links in English)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_econo ... _behaviors
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110216/article.html

On board a prius they manage to make more than 1000 miles, i.e. a consumption of less than 2,83 L / 100. The majority of these full records were made on the daily journey of their authors.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17210

Another is smashing these records with an insight from 2002. Its average consumption is 1,97 L / 100 over the 2191 km that it has already done with its full, which will allow it to reach 1600 miles (2574 kms) with a full tank.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14354

All this to say that the best way to save fuel is to intelligently vary its speed, the first step being to accept wasting a little time to save a lot.

Denis
0 x
ecodriver and ecomodder: