Overdrive motor

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Overdrive motor

by marcel » 09/05/08, 15:23

Hello engine econologists,
A large number of discussions deal with water doping. The use of residual energy from exhaust gases seems to occupy people's minds. So I started to think about it.
This is an idea that seems silly to me.
I propose, by the following installation, to also extend the duration of the expansion to recover the heat from the exhaust and the residual pressure of the cylinder.

The installation does not change the usual mechanical operation of the rest of the engine.
For two cylinders operating in 4 stages (C1, P1 and C2, P2), a cylinder specializing in the use of exhausts (C +, P +) is placed in the middle and which will operate in two “steam” stages.
At the end of the expansion of the combustion cylinder C1, its exhaust opens to an inlet of the steam cylinder C +.
For this transfer to be motor, it is necessary either that the piston P + has a diameter greater than the others, or that the crank is longer, or both.
Thus the volume V + is greater than that of the other two cylinders.
In passing, we will inject fresh air and / or finely sprayed water to make the best use of the energy contained in the exhaust gases and (re) increase the pressure.
We will then obtain a motor "over-expansion".
Finally the gas is definitively expelled from C +.
The C2 cylinder shifted by two times on C1 will take over and in turn perform the exchange with C +.

The same cam controlling the exhaust valve of a combustion cylinder (C1 or C2) can simultaneously control the opening towards C +. The final C + exhaust valve opens twice as often and it will therefore be necessary to adapt a specific cam to it.
C + and P + may have different characteristics from the two internal combustion cylinders. It is not the place of the main combustion and it works in two stages of steam. The materials (liner, piston, segments, etc.) can then be adapted to water injection, etc.
One has the impression that it is then necessary to use an additional cylinder, which would naturally induce new friction and more moving parts. In fact, the new two-stroke over-expansion cylinder makes the torque more linear when it would take 4 cylinders (most common automobile engines) to achieve this effect. In the end, this reduces the number of cylinders, valves, cams and, consequently, friction and the flywheel. There are two injectors (air / water ???) on the central cylinder but, ultimately, there would also be (petrol / diesel) on the third and fourth cylinders of a "normal" 4 cylinder engine.

There remains the problem of fluid transfers from one cylinder to another ...

Would this be an interesting lead?

Marcel
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 09/05/08, 16:33

Hi Marcelou!

Well, it's a track that I didn't know in the version you present.

It should be noted that over-trigger motors have a long history behind them. They exploit the MILLER or ATKINSON cycle. Many concepts have been proposed, recently the SIAMOIS engine from Edouad BONNEFOUS.
http://www.chez.com/ebmoteur/siamois1.htm
which has a much sought after kinematics.

There are other achievements a bit like yours, I don't know if the subject "four stroke engine" of "Inventor" did not mention this:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/new-4-stro ... t1739.html

Unless the "multi piston" system was intended to replace the valves.

In any case, phased and communicating multipiston approaches, like that of the KOUCHOUL engine, already exist for different purposes: adjustment of the compression ratio, stratified combustion and also expansion longer than the intake.

The easiest way to avoid this mechanical complexity is quite simply not to fill the cylinder completely on intake. To do this, either we close the valve in advance (AFA advances from closing to admission), or on the contrary, we let the piston go up by expelling some of the fresh gases (RFA; delay ...)
Hence the industrialization of systems variable valve timing.
He talks about it there
http://www.timupsinsa.com/article-4798331.html

I also talk about it on the MPRBC topic and on my site:
http://sycomoreen.free.fr/syco_francais ... nstat.html
and especially:
http://sycomoreen.free.fr/syco_francais ... alvar.html

Beautiful cogitations all the same !! @ +
0 x
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marcel » 10/05/08, 14:46

Thank you for your remundo response.
Yes, I had already studied the Siamese engine, being in touch with one of its analysts for a while. Vibration problem, I think, in this thing.
Which is not the case with MPRBC !!! :D

In fact, more than overtravel or variable compression, what interested me in this draft is the very direct use of heat from the exhaust gases. Unlike the pantone which would aim to improve combustion by adding water (steam) upstream, here we would have to do a post injection.
In this case, one could then think of injecting the water directly into a normal cylinder, at mid-stroke for example, by calculating the prior compression ratio. .. by the means you indicated
Maybe not that easy to say.

The system that I imagined above all makes it possible to differentiate zones with different thermodynamics and environment. Thus, the "steam" cylinder can / must have separate characteristics, more suited to water injection. The injection area is easier to access.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 10/05/08, 20:22

In principle, this is generalized to any engine with a slightly advanced distribution and a dedicated chamber.

But it seems to me a bit expensive paid for a gain that can be had in all the rooms simply by playing on the valves.

It is certain Marcel, your proposal has its specificities, and therefore new advantages. To reflect and deepen 8)
0 x
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marcel » 11/05/08, 12:00

It's funny, I had spoken very briefly about it to a motorization size at the CNAM. In a hurry, he had confined himself to a laconic answer:
"it would be expensive to pay, one more piston and one chamber ..."
?????????????????
Admittedly, looking at the mechanical apsect, putting an additional dedicated room seems a heresy. But if we focus on the torque, we can see that the steam cylinder compensates for the "resistant" phases of the other two cylinders. To do the same on a normal engine, you would need additional cylinders too (not two anyway) ... and consuming fuel when the C + cylinder, on the other hand, consumes only water and heat from exhaust.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/05/08, 12:43

Hi Marcel,

In fact, your machine performs what thermodynamicists call a combined cycle.

Many machines tend to reject gases that are still hot enough to be fully usable.

The first cycle takes place in the combustion chambers, nothing special.

The second cycle, on your machine, takes place in the additional cylinder with possible injection of water to create volume and pressure on the piston.

This generally allows 20% gains on engine efficiency. There are combined cycle power plants that go up to 60% efficiency.

For a gasoline engine, we can consider going from 35 to 45%, for a Diesel 45 to 55%

OK for the more regulated torque, that's a good point.

@+
0 x
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marcel » 11/05/08, 16:37

And compact!
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/05/08, 16:56

Yes but not as much as on an MPRBC : Cheesy:

Read for the rationale http://sycomoreen.free.fr/syco_francais ... cipes.html
and also the interest of overmultilobed rotating central cams

http://sycomoreen.free.fr/syco_francais ... nvmvt.html

your generic concept of dedicating a chamber to heat recovery + water injection is not specific to the connecting rod / crank / piston kinematics and can be generalized to other types of engine : Idea:
Last edited by Remundo the 11 / 05 / 08, 20: 18, 1 edited once.
0 x
marcel
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by marcel » 11/05/08, 20:06

Generic yes.
And why not on an MRPBC? :D
Although your engines are rather symmetrical (excellent balance!)
2 combustion chambers and two steam chambers perhaps?
To ponder for a long time.
Well go to work, get inspected on Tuesday : Cry: and must tease the preparation ... I play my salary there, then the engines in the closet for a few days :P
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 11/05/08, 20:19

Marcel wrote:Generic yes.
And why not on an MRPBC? :D
Although your engines are rather symmetrical (excellent balance!)
2 combustion chambers and two steam chambers perhaps?

I have already developed this idea in some way on the topic MPRBC.

Using the variable valve timing system, which can be fully controlled in phase and in opening, it is even possible to block a valve while the engine is running.

1st immediate application: chamber deactivation -> partial power at high efficiency because the remaining chambers run at full load

2ème (the one that interests us here): bedroom no longer burning. : Idea: What is it for then? : Cheesy:

To do original things,
Proposals like yours, i.e. making a combined cycle with water injection, are part of this flexibility offered by the MPRBC

In the short term, I suggest exploring the path of the compressor / air motor (for a single dedicated chamber) to regenerative braking with pneumatic storage (or simply the engine brake in case of breakage of the mechanical and electrical brakes, useful for heavy goods vehicles !!).

Good preparation for classes for Tuesday :D
0 x