Produce hydrogen ... from sweet water

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
iota
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Produce hydrogen ... from sweet water

by iota » 18/11/06, 18:56

Source The World:

Intensely heating syrup in a saucepan inevitably results in carbon deposit as the water evaporates. Researchers in Lanny Schmidt's team at the University of Minnesota at Minneapolis have found a way to get around this phenomenon in order to directly decompose into hydrogen and carbon monoxide. Their secret? Heat the product so quickly that the formation of the carbon layer is avoided.

This new process has two advantages: first of all, it makes it possible to dispense with petroleum products in order to produce hydrogen "cleanly", the fuel of the future for automotive propulsion; secondly, it can be applied to all kinds of vegetable waste ... even to cut grass coming out of mowers.

The researchers tested their process on two products, soybean oil and sugar water. They vaporized these liquids into tiny droplets 400 microns in diameter using a simple gasoline injector from a car engine. The vapor obtained was projected onto a ceramic disc coated with a catalyst, a mixture of rhodium and cerium. On contact with the porous disc brought between 800 ° C. and 0 ° C., the droplets vaporize in a few milliseconds and decompose into carbon monoxide and hydrogen. About 1% of the hydrogen contained in the oil is recovered by suction on the other side of the disc. Interestingly, the chemical reaction maintains itself: the ceramic disc must be heated to initiate the process, but then it is the heat produced by the decomposition of the oil that keeps it at the right temperature.

Using the small 17-millimeter diameter reactor used, 500 grams of hydrogen are produced per day. According to calculations, a 15-centimeter disc would produce 3,7 liters of hydrogen per hour.

Researchers believe that this process can become a fuel source for fuel cells when they are developed. In the short term, synthetic gas can be used as fuel in heat engines. Are these researchers too far ahead? "The problem today is still competition from oil and ethanol from corn, which is grown very efficiently in the United States," explains Lanny Schmidt, who has been working on the subject for fifteen years and is now waiting for the oil price changes the equation.
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Produce hydrogen ... from sugar water

by bham » 19/11/06, 08:53

iota wrote:Source The World:
This new process has two advantages: first of all, it makes it possible to dispense with petroleum products in order to produce hydrogen "cleanly", the fuel of the future for automotive propulsion; secondly, it can be applied to all kinds of vegetable waste ... even to cut grass coming out of mowers ............
Researchers believe that this process can become a fuel source for fuel cells when they are developed. In the short term, synthetic gas can be used as fuel in heat engines.

Yeah, great! I have injectors in advance if that interests anyone. Could we maybe work on that in addition to the pantone?

iota wrote:Are these researchers too far ahead? "The problem today is still competition from oil and ethanol from corn, which is grown very efficiently in the United States," explains Lanny Schmidt, who has been working on the subject for fifteen years and is now waiting for the oil price changes the equation. [/ i]

Who said political will? You will copy me 100 times "I do not speak about things that I do not know". : Cheesy:
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Produce hydrogen ... from sugar water

by Cuicui » 19/11/06, 10:25

iota wrote:Using the small 17-millimeter diameter reactor used, 500 grams of hydrogen are produced per day. According to calculations, a 15-centimeter disc would produce 3,7 liters of hydrogen per hour. [/ I]

This seems to be a promising technique for turning biomass into fuel. Better than the gasifier! The car can be powered by the trunk (or a trailer for a little autonomy) filled with lawn mowing ... But it would take 3 liters of hydrogen per second, and not per hour.
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"