Simplistic test: Ionize the intake air of an engine

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Bougonnator
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Simplistic test: Ionize the intake air of an engine

by Bougonnator » 20/06/06, 21:56

Hello everybody,

I start this is my first post.
Since I don't know how to weld a sheet without making holes in it, that you are talking about electrification, charge transfer, that I am lazy, and many other things, I looked for something else that is technically more my reach.
I stole my wife's Picasso essence 1.8 and tweaked it (sweet understatement) on it.
Here's what I did.
Rather than trying to produce friction loads in a reactor, I bought an electronic air ionization kit on the net that I mounted in the engine compartment.
I stripped of the rigid electric wire which I placed in a ring in the intake manifold as close as possible to the gas butterfly. The wire, I folded it to make five peaks distributed around the circumference of the ring. These peaks having the function of diffusing the electric charges (phenomenon known as of Corona?) And are directed towards the center. Their height is about 1.5cm according to a pifometric estimate. I fixed the wire so that this glutton of engine does not swallow it and connected it to the ionizer. I haven't even set the ionizer potentiometer. I just measured a consumption of 45 mA under 14 volts of the battery.
I went full throttle to try.
First test: the Picasso will not pass the 200, any more than it will only drink 2 liters per hundred km.
My test protocol was most rudimentary: comparison of instantaneous speed and consumption after a long and steep hill, the ionizer plugged in and unplugged.
The speed of passage was the same, the consumption also read. Bof!
Second test: At the bottom of another hill, I pass the fourth at 37 km / h, the air conditioning connected and I accelerate. The Woodpecker does not ratatouille and revives very suitably. I had also noticed easier starts and relaunches at low engine speed.
I return the car to my dear and tender and ask him to try it without giving him my conclusions.
Her opinion: it confirms the gain of torque at low speed, and can be the feeling of power loss at high speed. But it is only a sensation, nothing measured either.
Preliminary conclusion: The injection of negative ions into the engine seems to favor combustion at low revs. May also be at high speed, but my montage may not deliver the sufficient amount of negative ions, or is not tuned, or the diffusion system is too rudimentary or something else. With an equal lifetime of the ions in the intake manifold, the speed of the gases at high speed being higher, it should remain more at high speed. There would be more remaining in the intake chamber and the effect would be more noticeable if it were effective.
Here is an easy little experiment which I deliver to your sagacity, knowing that for my part I disconnected the DIY wired in flying wires for lack of time. When I have a little time, I will certainly reconnect all of this and do more serious tests than just driving sensations. For now, I just wanted to validate this idea.

A +
0 x
BornToBeWild
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by BornToBeWild » 05/07/06, 09:03

Hello and Thank you it's up to you (and madam) to share your experience on this subject!

Indeed, all the people who test and test here, and who share their experiences, I wanted to thank you. I, who is neither a great scientist, nor a great mechanic, I read your reports with interest in order to try to understand and one day, in my turn, take my first steps!

Through you, I also wanted to thank everyone else (Pitmix, the "baby-biker" understood of course! : Wink: ), which describe your failures and successes. The hours spent finding solutions, sharing your thoughts and your findings! I am happy to still find humanity in this world and on the Internet!

: Mrgreen: Good day to you all !
0 x
Neither submissive nor rebellious ... Wild !!!
bob_isat
Pantone engine Researcher

by bob_isat » 11/09/06, 11:31

2 L TO 100 !!!

I read that right !!!!

for the high speed, there is a greater air flow, maybe the ionizer does not flow enough.

if not questions:

what is the motorization of the beast, 1L to 8?

Is this the ionizer model ?:

http://www.conrad.fr/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... y_rn=19297

photos of the montage?
Last edited by bob_isat the 11 / 09 / 06, 11: 38, 1 edited once.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 11/09/06, 11:37

bob_isat wrote:2 L TO 100 !!!

I read that right !!!!

Yes, you read that right, but too quickly : Wink:

Bougonnator wrote:First try: the Picasso will not pass the 200, any more than it will only drink 2 liters per hundred km.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
bob_isat

by bob_isat » 11/09/06, 11:43

obviously ...

well wait for other tests then ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/09/06, 12:20

in my opinion, the essay is not even simplistic ... : Cheesy: , finally, welcome to the club.

I'm quite skeptical about the influence of a "thing" that only consumes 0,63 watts. When we tinker with lifter with TV THT, we consume at least ten watts.

for your future tests, I recommend:

be careful with the section of the wires with which you hope to produce an ionization: they must be very fine (1 / 10th mm), or else tinker with a hedgehog with pins. (chromed steel welds fairly well to electronic soldering iron)

if you put your corona on the negative, you will get ozone

if you put your corona on + you will ionize the ambient air, but maybe you will neutralize the ions as soon as the air will touch the metal of the engine

consumer question, as long as you haven't rolled 1 or 2 full your measurements are most likely false.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/09/06, 12:55

elephant wrote:I'm quite skeptical about the influence of a "thing" that only consumes 0,63 watts. When we tinker with lifter with TV THT, we consume at least ten watts.

+1

elephant wrote:consumer question, as long as you haven't rolled 1 or 2 full your measurements are most likely false.

+2
0 x
renaud67
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by renaud67 » 11/09/06, 13:24

Hello,
with an efficiency of 30%, let's assume that we are at 8 l and dust for a picasso, if the efficiency could be 100% we would turn around 2,66 liters (ideal case) so if we get to 3,5, 2 l we can already shout at the feat. (XNUMX liters we are almost overunit : Mrgreen: )
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 11/09/06, 13:39

Totally agree, Renaud.

Anyway, a gain of 15% would already be worth considering, and installing.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/09/06, 13:43

renaud67 wrote:Hello,
with an efficiency of 30%, let's assume that we are at 8 l and dust for a picasso, if the efficiency could be 100% we would turn around 2,66 liters (ideal case) so if we get to 3,5, 2 l we can already shout at the feat. (XNUMX liters we are almost overunit : Mrgreen: )

Easy to measure a 100% efficiency will be reached when your engine will no longer heat at all ... in other words: with an alternating piston engine it is impossible by design ... on the other hand, gains of 20, 30 or even 40 % (relative) by improving combustion (by additive or other method) are possible ...
0 x