Six-stroke engine with dual gas / steam cycle

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
John
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Six-stroke engine with dual gas / steam cycle

by John » 28/04/06, 17:59

I happened to come across this article in English.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

It is a process which aims to add two additional times to a traditional 4-stroke engine.

To simplify

1 gasoline air mixture intake
2 compression of the mixture
3 relaxation combustion
4 exhaust
5 From here it starts to be damn clever.
Water is injected into the hot chamber. In contact with the hot chamber, the injected water turns into vapor (volume booster multiplied by 1600 between water and vapor) which pushes the piston down (and cools the cylinder).
6 Steam exhaust.

On a cycle of 6 there are therefore 2 "engine" times, which is a guarantee of flexibility.
The injection of water cools the combustion chamber and the cylinder.
The engine no longer requires an external cooling system because its temperature is controlled with the injection of water.
We therefore have an increase in the overall efficiency of the system because we have transformed the heat usually lost into mechanical energy. According to the inventor, the gain could be up to 40%.

In another interview the inventor specified that.
Water injection can be started as soon as the engine has reached 400 ° F (200 ° C).
The engine must run 30 seconds without water before it comes to a complete standstill to remove moisture harmful to mechanics.
The injected water can be recycled by condensing the steam in the exhaust. (this system could even be designed to heat the passenger compartment in winter).
For obvious reasons, the water used must be pure distilled water.

Note that the inventor is a very experienced man. He is a retired industrialist. Throughout his career, he has developed camshafts and special parts for motor racing.

All of this seems to me to hold up particularly well, from a theoretical and practical point of view.
Last edited by John the 28 / 04 / 06, 23: 28, 1 edited once.
0 x
bolt
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by bolt » 28/04/06, 21:51

Good evening
Did he make a camshaft with two-humped cams?

and this camshaft would therefore rotate at one third the speed of the crankshaft

What would he think of adding a pantone system to his six-stroke?

or make three cams per cylinder with two exhaust outlets:
either an ech collector. to supply the reactor with heat
and another sample collector. only to collect the ready-made steam at the end of the sixth step and send it directly to the reactor (between the iron)
PITMIX would no longer need to worry about making a water carburetor or a bubbler (on the other hand for the camshaft and the second scale. :|

bolt
0 x
John
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by John » 28/04/06, 22:06

Good evening
Did he make a camshaft with two-humped cams?

and this camshaft would therefore rotate at one third the speed of the crankshaft

The inventor is initially a manufacturer of camshafts for competition ... In the article it is said that the camshaft rotates more slowly. There are several years of development for this first prototype which runs on petrol + water. The next will run on diesel + water. I do not know more than what is written in the article ...

What would he think of adding a pantone system to his six-stroke?

I don't know, you should ask him ...

or make three cams per cylinder with two exhaust outlets:
either an ech collector. to supply the reactor with heat
and another sample collector. only to collect the ready-made steam at the end of the sixth step and send it directly to the reactor (between the iron)
PITMIX would no longer need to worry about making a water carburetor or a bubbler (on the other hand for the camshaft and the second scale bolt

I don't have the plans for this engine ... and I'm not in the mind of this gentleman ...
0 x
babache8
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by babache8 » 28/04/06, 23:08

When I think a little, I think the camshaft turns at a third of the speed of the vilo. Classic admission at 1st time, exhaust at 4th and 6th time, water injection at the start of the 5th. It may not be impracticable provided you find a pump and injectors capable of withstanding water operation and engine parts (in particular piston) capable of withstanding huge repetitive thermal shocks. A point of detail worries me, if it is necessary to remove the steam operation before the engine stops completely, we are left with only 1 engine time for 5 resistant times, it must limp seriously. But it still remains to be considered with interest.
0 x
If there is no solution, there is no problem!
bolt
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by bolt » 28/04/06, 23:11

it was just to give ideas

3 cams per cylinder, so 3 valves per cylinder:

one for admission
one for combustion (or explosion) failure
one for water vapor failure

the problem is that it would take 3 separate conduits to go into 3 different collectors
it's stupid, I won't be able to try tomorrow

bolt
0 x
John
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by John » 28/04/06, 23:22

It may not be impracticable provided you find a pump and injectors capable of withstanding water operation and engine parts (in particular piston) capable of withstanding huge repetitive thermal shocks.

It is achievable since the proto works.
It is a diesel engine modified to run on gasoline.
He added a carburetor and uses the diesel pump to inject the water. The diesel engine was chosen precisely for its better resistance. It's safer ... mainly in the experimental phase.

3 cams per cylinder, so 3 valves per cylinder:

one for admission
one for combustion (or explosion) failure
one for water vapor failure

the problem is that it would take 3 separate conduits to go into 3 different collectors
it's stupid, I won't be able to try tomorrow

I don't believe ... I think it evacuates the vapor by the same valve and the same conduit as the exhaust ... In the article he explains that he has made tests to recompress part of the gases d '' exhaust before water injection (to have more heat in the cylinder).
0 x
Knut
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Knut » 29/04/06, 02:33

6 times, we necessarily turn to 1/3 less, but for 2 engine times instead of one, according to this description ... Gain in power and efficiency.

No reason to assume a third valve and a separate exhaust ???? the steam borrows (would) the classic exhaust, which we should hope in stainless steel.
0 x
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher

by PITMIX » 29/04/06, 19:50

I find this ingenious system that takes up the idea of ​​water doping as we try to do it with our Pantone reactors. Except that here the water injection is controlled and it is done at the right time.
In my opinion this system is more efficient than the G system.
In any case at least this system deserves to be clearly understandable. The water is used mechanically to push the piston down and cool the engine.
However, I would be curious to know how much water this engine consumes.
0 x
John
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by John » 29/04/06, 20:01

In any case at least this system deserves to be clearly understandable.

We understand what's going on, it's basic physics.
Simple systems are already complicated to develop, make reliable and industrialize under viable economic conditions ...

However, I would be curious to know how much water this engine consumes.

It says somewhere in the report. About as much water as gasoline ... except that the vapor can be condensed at the exhaust and reinjected ... therefore operate in a closed circuit. I suppose that there are still losses and that it will be necessary to add water from time to time. [/ Code]
0 x
PITMIX

by PITMIX » 29/04/06, 21:10

Ok so if there is recycling there is no need to put a water tank as large as that of gasoline despite such high water consumption.
It will certainly require an exchanger (condenser) to cool the exhaust gases and recondense the water there.
0 x