For or against the engine reprogramming?

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
Grandaddy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

For or against the engine reprogramming?

by Grandaddy » 02/01/14, 15:03

Hi all econologists;)

I post this subject in order to have opinions on engine reprogramming. I have an acquaintance who plans to implement this method to gain consumption, but who still has some doubts about the possible disadvantages.

Moreover, the regulations concerning the reprogramming of engines seem rather imprecise (apparently, the vehicle does not become in conformity with its homologation and one thus enters illegality).
I must admit that I don't really know anything about it, so opinions would not be refused:)

Has anyone here ever used this method? Can it be interesting or is it not really worth it? As far as I'm concerned, I have the impression that a lot of people are using engine reprogramming to gain power, but maybe this is also of really significant interest in order to reduce fuel?

An article to summarize the principle: http://abcmoteur.fr/pratique/pour-contr ... teur-auto/
0 x
Flytox

Re: For or against engine reprogramming?

by Flytox » 02/01/14, 16:42

Grandaddy wrote:Hi all econologists;)

I post this subject in order to have opinions on engine reprogramming. I have an acquaintance who plans to implement this method to gain consumption, but who still has some doubts about the disadvantages potential.
Can it be interesting or is it not really worth it? As far as I'm concerned, I have the impression that a lot of people are using engine reprogramming to gain power, but maybe this is also of really significant interest in order to reduce fuel?

The subject has already been addressed in another post. Reprogramming is mainly used to gain acceleration / power. We can gain a little in consumption, especially if we are going in the direction of decreasing the power (for the same engine, somewhere the copy of the program of the utility vehicle on the tourism model).

... but when we traffic "blindly" what "works" better, without the instrumentation (laboratory?) which is fine to measure the Pollution associated and identify the limits not to be exceeded, there is every chance that there is much more bullshit to do than tiny progress to find. Besides, all the sites that tout the benefits of reprogramming carefully avoid talking about pollution ... and for good reason. : Mrgreen:

In addition, the "accessories" type catalytic converter do not like at all certain experiences of risky wealth, without being irreparably destroyed. Let's not go back to the time before Euro 1 etc ...
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Grandaddy
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: For or against engine reprogramming?

by Grandaddy » 02/01/14, 17:46

Thank you for the answer ! I researched other subjects on this subject but I did not find, apart from one dating from 2008 (but I may have searched poorly this said (x)).

Yes, so it seems a bit dodgy and ultimately not very advantageous.

Flytox wrote:Besides, all the sites that tout the benefits of reprogramming carefully avoid talking about pollution ... and for good reason. : Mrgreen:

Indeed, this is what I seemed to have noticed too ... it did not help me to reduce my skepticism a little.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 02/01/14, 20:52

it would certainly be useful to modify the programming, but to do so you need the right information on the whole system! what to do as long as the manufacturer keeps the essential information secret?

play the blind sorcerer's apprentice ??? little hope of serious result
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 02/01/14, 21:43

it would certainly be useful to modify the programming, but to do so you need the right information on the whole system! what to do as long as the manufacturer keeps the essential information secret?

+1; The manufacturer's optimization is notably made to give a minimum of approval (acceleration) to the engine. We could improve the consumption by making the engine less shiny / powerful ......et unable to exceed 130 km / h ...... not very commercial all that. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 02/01/14, 23:20

I know someone, who knows someone (who saw the man, who saw the bear) who reprograms the computers.
On a 208 (I don't have the exact model), it would have gained 0,5l / 100 km by redoing the power curve. It also gained in power (and probably in torque).

According to him, the stock power curve was "really gross". A curve not at all smooth ...

I have no definite answer, about reprogramming its power curve. I guess the interest depends on the engines and the adequacy of the manufacturer curves.

Imagine that a motor is strictly identical between for example a 90cv motor and a 110cv motor, it can be interesting to put a 110cv curve.
However, some cars are more pleasant in driving pleasure with 90hp than with 110hp ....
An engine known for its fragility, may not support too much an increase in power ...

First of all, be careful and weigh the advantages and disadvantages for your own engine in terms of user experience and reliability.

SixK
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 03/01/14, 08:53

Hello,

The power curve of an engine depends first of all on its construction, camshaft, resonances in manifolds, valve diameters, volumetric ratio, fixed values.

Then we can play on the ignition advance and the richness.
Too much advance destroys the motor, the programming uses a knock sensor to permanently correct the advance.

The richness is regulated in a loop by the oxygen sensor.

If we try to optimize, by depleting and increasing the advance, we risk producing nitrogen oxides, which will use oxygen, and the probe will be deceived.

A simple way to reduce consumption is to put an additional spring under the accelerator pedal, which comes into operation in the first third of the race.
You can "stall your foot" and let yourself be slowed down on the climbs.

I did it and it is very convenient.
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 03/01/14, 11:13

dede2002 wrote:A simple way to reduce consumption is to put an additional spring under the accelerator pedal, which comes into operation in the first third of the race.
You can "stall your foot" and let yourself be slowed down on the climbs.

I did it and it is very convenient.

+1; Yes, but there, it is limited to the re programming of the guy : Mrgreen: The results are a bit random especially when you are in a hurry / pissed off.
0 x

[Eugène Ionesco]

dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 03/01/14, 12:06

To remedy this case, replace the spring with a piece of wood ... : Cheesy:

My spring setting is 120 on the flat, as soon as it goes up a little I let myself slow down.
Even if we are in a hurry, we save time if we do not need to stop filling up on the way ...
0 x
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 03/01/14, 16:57

I have mounted a "smart spring" ...
But in the climbs it accelerates by itself ...
It's a mechanism that pulls the speed cable in my place ... A cruise control. : Mrgreen:
0 x