Ecoshell engine preparation

Tips, advice and tips to lower your consumption, processes or inventions as unconventional engines: the Stirling engine, for example. Patents improving combustion: water injection plasma treatment, ionization of the fuel or oxidizer.
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Ecoshell engine preparation

by ggdorm » 14/03/11, 11:28

Hello everyone. I am currently responsible for preparing the EcoMotion team engine for the marathon shell at the end of May. Through this subject, I would have liked to have your impressions, criticisms and advice. It is obvious that this is our first year of participation and that we have less than 4 months to put something worthwhile.

My role is the adaptation to bioethanol E100 motorization. All that is starter and clutch does not concern me.

I must therefore increase the compression ratio through the design and machining of a new connecting rod, adapt an electronic box and its power supply to manage injection and ignition, slightly optimize the cycle, create the exhaust and the electrical circuit.

The engine chooses is an 4 Honda GX 25 time of which here is the data sheet
and the power curves

In order to increase our compression ratio (the E100 allows it by a higher octane rate), we chose to extend the connecting rod. Why? Because on the Honda GX 25, the cylinder head, the cylinder and a half crankcase represents a single block. To avoid getting into more complex details at first, all other solutions have been abandoned. Following a scan 3D I will have the precise values.

In order to manage all this beautiful world, we bought an electronic box MegaSquirt 2 visible at this link http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-171.html

And an injection that we made made to measure (pressure wave) by FCdesign (Japanese company that I hope we will deliver one day) having already make injections notament for the fancy carole team.
The fuel pressurization is given by a bottle of coca and 2 limiters in which I have sealed the cap with a special resin

Where the Romans are clutching is for the placement of the hall effect ignition sensor and the magnet. Indeed, I do not have the opportunity to fix myself on the clutch / starter part.

So I considered placing the sensor in the oil sump (resistance 150 °) and the magnet in the spoons agitating this oil (resistance to 120 ° c). This solution scares me a little.
That's all, I wish I had your opinion

Jerome Appeldoorn
ecomotion team
0 x
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 16/03/11, 23:41

Here is a piece containing a magnet passing in front of the hall sensor which gives the electronic box the position of the engine at every moment. Following this information, the box will manage the injection and ignition via a map. The addition of a module for the acquisition of data and its storage in an SD card is possible.
We shot the coin in a block of aluminum.
[Img] https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager2/1300315146JhWbW1.jpg [/ img
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/03/11, 00:51

Hi ggdorm!

Why lengthen the connecting rod?

Usually we wipe the head!

Out of curiosity, what will this engine be used for?

I must have missed something!
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 17/03/11, 09:21

It is a motor that will serve to move a prototype EcoShell Marathon. The goal of this competition is to travel the maximum distance with a liter of fuel ...
We turn to E100 bioethanol. This fuel is 1.5 times less calorific than gasoline and consumption climbs by 30%. Nevertheless it has an advantage, its higher octane rate allows to increase the compression before the ratchetit (self ignition very harmful fuel) does not arrive. As a result, it is possible to recover from the performance
We will go from a compression ratio of 8: 0 to 14: 0 going up the PMH of 1.8 mm (value that will be given by 3D scanning).

We had to consider reaming the rod by shifting the axis but the lack of material makes things a bit dangerous.

Increasing the distance between the axis of the connecting rod and the axis of the crankshaft has also been considered but the increase in displacement is tainted by the increase in friction given by a radial force on the larger cylinder (obliqueness of the connecting rod). .

Achieving a new piston with a thicker head or reloading it with material is also not ideal in terms of performance.

We also thought to plan the half base of the crankcase and bore the bearings, but we should have added a belt tensioner and we do not have the place.

We are equipped with CNC 5 milling machines and lathe and conventional milling machine, as much to enjoy!
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/03/11, 12:30

Thank you for these answers!

I understand now why you want to extend the connecting rod, which is the simplest solution!

How many km do you expect to make with this liter?

What is the weight of the vehicle without and with the driver?
0 x

Alain
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 17/03/11, 13:28

Alain G wrote:How many km do you expect to make with this liter?
I do not know the regulation and the eco-marathon on the EuroSpeedway circuit of Lausitz, but when it was held in Nogaro, France, you had to go through 7 tour, about 25km.

Competitors were entitled to 3 attempts.

Then we calculate the consumption established in number of kilometers for 1 liter of fuel.
Over the years new "fuels" have come into competition (diesel, LPG, synthetic fuels of various origins, hydrogen, electricity and solar).

In essence the records are more than 3000km for 1 liter.
These values ​​are very relative, they depend on the minimum average speed imposed, the relief of the circuit, its layout, the fraud of the competitors ...
In Nogaro, the ignition time of the engine did not exceed a few tens of seconds on 3600m ...

I participated last year in the organization of the Challenge EducEco who took over the Shell Eco-Marathon party in Germany.
Indeed Shell has reorganized its events on different continents.
A number of EducEco competitors (those who can afford it) also participate in the Eco-Marathon.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/03/11, 14:18

Citrus

Thank you for the clarification!
0 x

Alain
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 17/03/11, 15:36

Indeed, citro is absolutely right. For the prototype category, the race is 8 laps (3200 meters) or 25.6 km total at the average speed of 30 kmh. For those interested, here is the link to the site: http://www.shell.com/home/content/ecomarathon/europe/
The low power of our engine will give us an acceleration time greater than a few seconds. Engineering students develop a program for the project to manage engine downtime and running time according to the race profile, the external conditions and the characteristics of the vehicle
The mass of the vehicle should be around 30 kg (I do not care about it).

Our originality in the race is the creation of a steel chassis. This choice is due to the sponsorship of Arcelor for our project (offer the materials) and their support for two of our students for the TFE. The steel used are high strength 0.65 mm sheets folded in our own way and developed by Arcelor for the automobile. A priori laughable, the choice of steel becomes immediately less when we notice that our design is closer and sometimes even lower in weight to many aluminum chassis used.
Unlike many, our prototype is not stuck on the ground but raised to avoid friction from the roller that forms below. Nevertheless, it creates a handicap on inclined slopes of the velodrome type.

We are also designing a carbon body.

Among the other characteristics, I can quote:

* tricycle: 2 front wheels and a rear steering
* Front track: 615 mm
* Height at the top of the rollbar: 770 mm
* Length: 2m45

Do you have any tips on how much money I can make on the engine? Exhaust gas recirculation is not allowed.
We also need your advice when to how to make the mold of the bodywork
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 17/03/11, 16:47

Makes ultra-clear oil (5w-20) with this anti-friction additive in oil:

http://www.wynns.fr/produits/additifs-huiles/gold-f1

This bottle of 350 ml is given for 4 liters of oil, does the calculation for the amount of oil contained in your engine.

It's not a show, it really works!
0 x

Alain
ggdorm
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by ggdorm » 17/03/11, 17:42

Thank you! I will consult the regulations on this subject. I read that the addition of friction modifier is prohibited (paragraph 64).

I uploaded the 2008 rules in French to this address: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/r-glement-2008-ecoshell-marathon

Thank you for your help!
0 x

Back to "Special motors, patents, fuel consumption reduction"