Water injection brumisée BMW on a gasoline turbo

Water injection in thermal engines and the famous "pantone engine". General informations. Press clippings and videos. Understanding and scientific explanations on the injection of water into engines: ideas for assemblies, studies, physico-chemical analyzes.
Christophe

Water injection brumisée BMW on a gasoline turbo

by Christophe » 15/02/15, 22:05

Caution is heavy: BMW has released the first water injection for M4 Safety Car but then, probably, for the entire range from: http://www.motorlegend.com/actualite-au ... 11485.html

Video:

Bonjour à tous

BMW has developed an integrated water intake air injection system of an engine turbocharged gasoline. This system reduces the fuel consumption of the engine 8% while increasing performance and reducing emissions. Ultimately, it is conceivable that such a system can be integrated with a range extender electric vehicle, similar to the GM Volt or Vtrux Via Motors.

See http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/13/bmw- ... on-system/

In this article we find an illustration of the BMW system that I have reproduced below by adding text and green lines to identify key components

It is now well known that a turbocharger allows for more air into an engine while recirculating part of the exhaust gases with air into the engine intake. Having more air for a given volume of the combustion chambers increases the engine power without gaining it. Or when a motor is smaller, for a given power, friction is lower and the surface of the combustion chambers are smaller, with less control the heat loss via the cylinder walls and engine head. All this translates to increased efficiency of the engine and thus a reduction in fuel consumption.

The problem is that in compressing a gas is heated and the hot gas has a lower density, which goes against the desired effect ie bring more air into the engine. It must cool the gas compressed using a radiator (called the intercooler in English). But when the engine runs at higher speeds with a heavy load, this heater is not sufficient to the task, hence the idea of ​​adding a water injection system in the form of mist after the radiator before air and recirculated exhaust gases into the engine. This results in a temperature drop which increases the density of the air and allows more air into the engine, even at high speed and high load. The water also reduces the combustion temperature in the cylinders and improve combustion.

BMW also thought to empty the water pipes after engine shutdown to prevent freezing of pipes. The water tank is also frost proof. A reservoir 5 liters of water is enough to 5 full of trees.

BMW has installed the water injection system on a race car but intends to eventually integrate an ordinary car.

The benefits of injecting water or water doping engines have been known for over 100 years. I devoted a section in my book Driving without oil (Éditions Multimondes 2008) one can find reproduced on the website of the Quebec company Synergy TEM here (with my permission)

http://www.temsynergie.com/informations/dopage-a-l-eau

I have already spoken of TEM Synergy founded by Alain St-Yves, Quebec pioneer of electric vehicles. Alain had converted a Chevrolet truck S10 electric vehicle 1998 (see https://sites.google.com/site/vehiculevert/home ). Their main product is a humidification of the air intake system of diesel engines, called "Oxidizer H2O". TEM Synergy has installed several semi trucks, and also gets the order of 8% fuel consumption reduction, on average.

I did not need to tell you that I am very happy to see that finally a major auto company is seriously interested in water doping combustion engines.

Sincerely

Pierre Langlois, Ph.D., physicist

Consultant in sustainable mobility

Edit: this is the subject that analyzes the BMW patents on the injection of water Patent-bmw-on-the-injection-of-water-in-a-motor-t13760.html
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 03 / 15, 10: 52, 2 edited once.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/02/15, 22:24

Calm down!

BMW seems to use, if the text is correct, cooling generated by the evaporation of water after the turbo and intercooler.

It is therefore a "beast" trick to recover a little more density of the gas mixture before admission.

It's simpler than putting a heat pump!

This, to me, has nothing to do with doping how Pantone, where evaporation is external to the intake system and will not produce any cooling of the intake mixture.

BMW does not seem to rely on a hypothetical production H² or what do I know ... Just a better filling of the cylinder.

I would have to do some math, but I am surprised that with so little water they get a significant densification: 5 5 to the full or 5 the water with a ladle or 3 4 000 km.

Of course the air has a limited heat capacity TRSE and water an energy of high vaporization More ... ????

[Note: I already putting water in the tractor my father 50 years ago! For the cooling circuit. If now as soon as you put water in a mechanical assembly is made of doping ... !!! ????]
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 15/02/15, 23:11

Did67 wrote:Calm down!

BMW seems to use, if the text is correct, cooling generated by the evaporation of water after the turbo and intercooler.

It is therefore a "beast" trick to recover a little more density of the gas mixture before admission.

It's simpler than putting a heat pump!

This, to me, has nothing to do with doping how Pantone, where evaporation is external to the intake system and will not produce any cooling of the intake mixture.

BMW does not seem to rely on a hypothetical production H² or what do I know ... Just a better filling of the cylinder.

If you read the article to the end, the use of water mist also reduces the tendency to knock, so optimize advance even closer over the limit value. This is also a good optimization of combustion.

In fact, he did not invent that we already know (improvement of filling, knock back, better combustion). The main advantage is that they talk of a possible use of standard engine ..... remains whether to enjoy the benefits announced ... it will take to roar 250CV for use in town or on a national to 90 km / h : Mrgreen:
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Flytox

by Flytox » 15/02/15, 23:18

Did67 wrote:I would have to do some math, but I am surprised that with so little water they get a significant densification: 5 5 to the full or 5 the water with a ladle or 3 4 000 km.

Of course the air has a limited heat capacity TRSE and water an energy of high vaporization More ... ????

AMHA, the use of the 10 bar "fogger" must be able to be controlled instantly and only intervenes in the "critical" phases, those where one flirts with the clicking noise in heavy accelerations at half speed (or at the cleat?) For example , hence a "moderate" water requirement.
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Water Injection brumisée BMW on a gasoline turbo

by gildas » 16/02/15, 13:08

Christophe wrote:Caution is heavy: BMW has released a water injection !!

Bonjour à tous

BMW has developed an integrated water intake air injection system of an engine turbocharged gasoline. This system reduces the fuel consumption of the engine 8% while increasing performance and reducing emissions.
Ultimately, it is conceivable that such a system can be integrated with a range extender electric vehicle, similar to the GM Volt or Vtrux Via Motors.

See http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/13/bmw- ... on-system/

(...)

Pierre Langlois, Ph.D., physicist

Consultant in sustainable mobility

So 8% fuel economy for a range extender doped water ??? : Cry:

Long ago, afarmer
got more than 50% fuel economy on his tractor with a water doping!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/02/15, 14:56

Yes "50%" (figure which unfortunately could never be confirmed on a test bench) ... on older generation diesel engines ...

But there it is a petrol engine NEW ...

In fact that BMW developed joined more injection water in aircraft of World War 2ieme engines (petrol so)
Last edited by Christophe the 16 / 02 / 15, 14: 58, 1 edited once.
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 16/02/15, 14:56

I agree with the remarks of Flytox.

nothing to do with the "bubblers" and other various crafts.

This is a water injector under pressure, for densifying the gas admitted into the cylinder, by filling the working conventional cooling intercooler. This mist pressure should be controlled by complex algorithms and extensive data gathered by the engine sensors.

There is no thermal energy recovery from the exhaust, by contrast, is a turbo engine thus recovers mechanical energy in the exhaust to gorging admission.

We still do not know how water improves combustion efficiency, and especially what specific reaction mechanisms. It is true that it can repel autodétonation in gasoline engines, allowing a higher compression ratio and ignition exactly at top dead center.

If BMW announces 8% gain in consumption, it is about what I had always told the ladle: the order of 10%

In a more practical aspect, we must think back water ... but hey, the engine can run dry of water, but not dry gas of course. :P
0 x
Did67

Re: Water Injection brumisée BMW on a gasoline turbo

by Did67 » 16/02/15, 15:50

Gildas wrote:
So 8% fuel economy for a range extender doped water ???

The economy - compared to what? same motor without? - announced by BMW may simply be due to the fact that the engine is better "stuffed"? Without invoking any "doping" in the usual sense (that is to say an external "bubbler") ...
0 x
Remundo

by Remundo » 16/02/15, 16:16

Normally, when one announces cons down, and that is a serious engine is fuel in g / kWh

Now, there are many parameters that influence everything. At full load, you can expect that the mist will work. By cons city at extremely partial loads where the turbo is useless, we imagine that the gain may be zero.

anyway, BMW is too powerful engines and is not alone in this situation.

As against it deploys engineering treasure to moderate consumption of its big guzzlers at full power. :P
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 16/02/15, 16:25

The "bubbler" is the poor man's injector! It doesn't matter how the water is admitted into the engine ... What is interesting are the effects of "misted" water on the combustion level (and until now it has not been proven that the " reactor "used in water doping produced something other than humid air! Despite all the charlots who claim the contrary ...)

A quick reading reminder: https://www.econologie.com/injection-eau ... eurs-bref/

Christophe long ago wrote:Mechanical role: better dispersion of fuel

possible thermodynamic Roles:

1) Using the expansion of the steam: work better used and better engine flexibility

2) Pumping of calories burned exhaust and fed back into the engine cycle. This will however against the Carnot efficiency. (Plus the temperature difference between temp and intake air temp combustion are higher, the better the performance ... However, injecting a preheated air already, let alone the filling rate in a diesel cycle may result in T ° flame may be higher.)

3) The presence of water, an incompressible compound, in the combustion chamber would increase the compression ratio (or at least the final pressure). I got this from someone who has done some work on wet combustion in internal combustion engines. If anyone has additional information ... [Bruno Foucras] <- Yes, already heard this hypothesis also, but the vapor, it is compressible. Could you get more info from this person? At best a report (summary?) [Christophe]

Chemical Role: cracking water under the pressure and temperature of the room?

Important Note: the actual effect may be composed of one or more different effects.

A thesis on the wet combustion: understanding water-injection / combustion-wet-explanation-by-remi-guillet-t5794.html

Synthesis: https://www.econologie.com/synthese-thes ... r-pantone/

ps: amazing that the forum econology does not appear on these 2 wiki pages ... because we have been far from the level of explanations in both doping and pantone ...

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injection_ ... es_moteurs
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moteur_Pantone

They use the Gillier Pantone term which was "found" on this forum...Short... :|
0 x