Renault patent, water injection and engine GP

Water injection in thermal engines and the famous "pantone engine". General informations. Press clippings and videos. Understanding and scientific explanations on the injection of water into engines: ideas for assemblies, studies, physico-chemical analyzes.
Picolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Renault patent, water injection and engine GP

by Picolo » 01/05/11, 17:50

Hello,

I come to you because being a scientist by training, it has always interested me to see how a myth constantly invalidated experimentally AND theoretically by hundreds of people who do not know each other around the world, funded by completely different organizations could still hold firm .

(I know, I pass for an asshole, but my state of mind is direct and clear, you will not wonder 300 years what I think ... : Cheesy:)

Patent extract (introduction):

Download the full patent here: https://www.econologie.com/brevet-renaul ... -3435.html

The question I ask myself is "But where are these famous engines? We are in 2011 ".

Renault filed this patent on a water reinjection system in 2005 (someone also posted a post on it on this site). But did he really read the contents of the patent? The water already injected is cold (unlike Pantone, it already makes a difference): injecting preheated water is monstrous thermodynamic bullshit ... I invite you to snoop around the Carnot cycle to confirm that it increases the temperature of the cold source lowers the efficiency of the engine. If you then say that Carnot says anything, prove it (for my part I have a few hundred publications showing that at first glance, it's generally not too bad).
In addition (let's stay with this patent), the alleged advantages are not a reduction in consumption, but a reduction in NOx production per gram of fuel burned due to the reduction in engine temperature. In addition, the addition of water allows finer knock control. These two last pieces of information are perfectly correct is confirmed by scientists as much experimentally as theoretically.

On the other hand, did it occur to you that there could be a reason why this patent remains, even today, 6 years after filing, 4 or 14 years before the patent falls irreparably in the public domain , unexploited by Renault in its passenger vehicles? The reasons are simple: net loss of yield, corrosion, reduction in service life, deactivation of catalytic converters, etc. If you look closely, the manufacturers did not abandon the injection of water by chance: water was added to the fuel for powerful engines whose temperature had to be regulated (planes, military vehicles, etc.) or the clicking of which should be better controlled (methanol engine). With the advent of new materials for the automobile and thanks to the addition of additives in the fuel, the addition of water became unnecessary and the manufacturers were able to abandon it with great relief (our military vehicles are more 6 months now and our planes do more than 10 flights (imagine!).

What I have to recognize all the same, is that there is no doubt, if the Pantone system or equivalent is not mounted with the feet and is properly adjusted, that the fuel consumption per km will drop . But this comes at a price: the life of the engine, its performance and its power.

So yes, you will consume less per km (and therefore pollute less and again ... that is discussed), on the other hand, you would gain on ALL PLANS to buy a vehicle with a 1,2L engine rather than buying a 2,5L engine ... It's an initial choice, but if consumption matters, that's what should guide it.
(Well yes, the typical problem of "I bought a 4x4 but that's 17L / 100km! Help!")

In short, beyond the esoteric explanations on the alleged functioning of the Pantone system and equivalent (which we can come back to if necessary), at some point, we would have to ask ourselves the question of whether it would be better to buy a recent car rather than strive to operate one that is 20 years old without really knowing the result of the modification ( for what I read, if it is badly regulated (still it is necessary to have the material for), all the advantages disappear.)

In short, we must stop imagining that such a system is greener or offers better returns than a conventional engine: manufacturers have always done what they can to avoid it and the abandonment of the patent-related project that I cited is proof. Besides, go see what it is all over the world: almost all manufacturers have patented a system using water injection and except in certain niche markets, such engines no longer exist and it's not for nothing.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 01/05/11, 18:07

What do you think of the famous tractor 22 which went from 20 l to 5 l by consuming a lot of water without a drop in yield and above all an undeniable drop in pollution? And followed by many other farmers who do not hire such an expensive machine to see it destroyed by a few liters of water.
0 x
Picolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Picolo » 01/05/11, 18:18

I quite simply think that the test has not been reproduced by other people (and published), which is a serious methodological error.
I also think that the theory proven everywhere else and which has never been faulted (thermodynamics) predicts a loss of yield.
I still think that when I see 100 engine tests and only one gives positive results, it is most certainly an error.
I think the same way that you are announcing a drop in consumption without a drop in yield based on stories (where are the quantified results of the test, by whom it was tested, under what conditions and with what equipment?).
In the end, I think that it is very easy to edit and to assert results verbally or in writing on your "feelings" without making serious measurements.
Last edited by Picolo the 01 / 05 / 11, 18: 26, 1 edited once.
0 x
Picolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Picolo » 01/05/11, 18:24

I would also add that I did not see anything on the maintenance of the output of the engine (measurement of torque? Test bench?) ... You or the farmer in question thus fabulous (I do not say "lie", I say "to be deluded because there is no measured proof").

Finally, I would add that the drop in pollution, particularly in the discharge of black smoke, is very visible and is true: you consume less fuel (at the cost of a drop in power), it is even possible that you burn less (rejection of unburnt materials not taken into account, which nevertheless reduces the yield). However, go see the water that you recirculate ... Black ... As if by chance ... So we no longer pollute the air, but water ... What is the advantage?

Last thing: you are aware, I hope, that between someone who says to me: "this post measures 1,875 cm, I have it measured"or the guy who says" ah that post ?! Trust me, I have known him since I was very young, he measures 2m pile-fur ", I would only retain, in principle, the first of the lengths, especially if several different people confirm it to me: the guy may well know this post since he was little he has been fantasizing, deluding himself, and we are in the same situation here.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 01/05/11, 19:02

Beautiful archifausse picolo salad:

inject preheated water is bullshit monstrous thermodynamics ... I invite you to poke around on the Carnot cycle to confirm that increasing the temperature of the cold source lowers the efficiency of the engine.

The cold source of the Carnot cycle of an internal combustion engine is not in the incoming fuel and the little water injected into it before combustion!
but in the outlet temperature of the exploded gases after expansion, as for a steam engine, the vapor outlet temperature after expansion is that of the cold source et not in the temperature of the incoming wood which is used to heat the steam boiler, as picolo seems to believe !!

If the scientific studies on Picot Carnot are of this ilk, with this type of wobbly reasoning, one can be certain of the disaster with co ... à la picolo.
I understand better the picolo mentality which reasons like a felated bell !!

Sic:
I know, I pass for an asshole, but my state of mind is direct and clear, you will not wonder 300 years what I think.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/05/11, 19:44

Picolo obviously does not know the concept of combustion efficiency.

It smells like troll ...

You’re an engineer, right? Similar to the Japanese engineers who ensured the safety of their nuclear power plants.
0 x
Picolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Picolo » 01/05/11, 19:46

dedeleco wrote:The cold source of the Carnot cycle of an internal combustion engine is not in the incoming fuel and the little water injected into it before combustion!
but in the outlet temperature of the exploded gases after expansion, as for a steam engine,

My neighbors must have wondered what happened! Thank you for this nice slice of fun! Look at your Carnot diagram: what matters is what happens IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. This is where everything happens (temperature / pressure change). If your combustion chamber is always at the same temperature, what do you think is going on? More gas expansion, we agree, so more engine!

The injected mixture MUST BE COLD than the ejected mixture !!!

I would at least have thought that you would find out before ... The principle of a heat engine is to inject a gas or a liquid at a certain temperature. Then comes the explosion which allows an expansion of the gases produced (increase in pressure due to temperature), which pushes the piston. The hot gas is then ejected (pressure reduction) to be replaced by cold gas and it starts again ... The heat exchanges outside are of no use afterwards: it is a priori that they are important ! It is a cold gas which will relax with the increase in temperature, not a hot gas !!!

In short, one word: laughable!

the steam outlet temperature after expansion is that of the cold source and not in the temperature of the incoming wood which is used to heat the steam boiler, as picolo seems to believe !!

How can you be so reckless as to talk about things you don't know? That's crazy ! Is it a habit of the site or just you?

Go, we resume with our steam boiler: we have a stock of cold water (liquid): it is the cold source. We heat this water with our fire: hot spring. This water vaporizes and increases the pressure in the tank. When this pressure becomes sufficiently high, it activates a piston: it is a motor!

Because you think we have water in the form of steam in a tank. We drill a hole and the fact that the water is condensed on the OUTSIDE of the engine produces the movement ?!

No, really, usually, I am very respectful and I avoid irony, but this is too much ...

If the scientific studies on Picot Carnot are of this ilk, with this type of wobbly reasoning, one can be certain of the disaster with co ... à la picolo.
I understand better the picolo mentality which reasons like a felated bell !!

Show me how your engine works then ... By the way, how are you feeling? Because I don't know if you noticed, but I attack your arguments instead of attacking you (even if indirectly I show that you are telling bullshit).

Seriously ... Carnot what ... Carnot! The historical basis of thermodynamics ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/05/11, 19:55

Picolo wrote:In short, one word: laughable!

This is absolutely the right word for your behavior ...you already understood nothing the GP system does not inject water vapor but humidified air!

Then, to go on your ground, it is not only the cycle efficiency which defines the efficiency = the engine efficiency !!!

Besides a diesel engine (or petrol for that matter) is not a carnot cycle, ideal (which has never been achieved, I believe if my memories are good that we approach it in the stirling at check), but a sabatier cycle or mixed cycle ...

Mr. Sabatier himself injected water, with positive effect, into his engines!

References:

https://www.econologie.com/moteur-panton ... -2462.html

https://www.econologie.com/injection-d-e ... -3093.html

NACA Research:
https://www.econologie.com/injection-d-e ... -3095.html
https://www.econologie.com/injection-d-e ... -3096.html

A Canadian tourist boat doped with water:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/1er-gros-b ... t9059.html

Etc., etc...

But you are surely stronger than him (and all the others, including the engineer Clerget who also experienced it), than them, than us .... aren't you?

Do you want to see what water brings to the combustion of hydrocarbons? So read this before you "know it all":

https://www.econologie.com/une-chaudiere ... -3830.html

https://www.econologie.com/forums/ameliorati ... t5172.html

This autogenous water re-injection technique is not used in engineering school books. But I'm sure you're going to get us out of a good oil flame is a yellow flame ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

I have the impression that you trust too much a few basics of thermodynamics ...

ps: in fact, no, wouldn't you be a teacher? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Picolo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Picolo » 01/05/11, 20:24

I dream ... When there is no more, there is still ...

Do you want to see what water brings to the combustion of hydrocarbons? So read this before you "know it all":

https://www.econologie.com/une-chaudiere ... -3830.html

So in fact, if I understand what you are telling me, it is that the injection of water has an interest during the combustion of hydrocarbons in a heat engine just like in this boiler. Knowing that the article itself says that it works on the boiler as in a heat engine ... It's a bit circular ...

Also, did you know that CO and NOx are produced at high temperatures? Has the boiler temperature been measured before and after modification? Because you see, the problem is that your boiler sees its chemical yield (amount of heat released) increase when the temperature increases. Current boilers are configured to obtain the best compromise in heat released per kg of fuel oil and the release of pollutants.
By adding water, the temperature is lowered (if you don't believe me, ask those who made the modification to do the test one day after normal use and one day after use with water injection ... The temperatures will not be the same or you will waste more fuel to obtain the same temperature.

So, I'm not going to start explaining how to adjust a boiler, but we can adjust it so that the flame is reducing, stoichiometric or oxidizing. The one in my house is a magnificent blue (and without water): it is a stoichiometric flame allowing to have no unburnt and to be cleaner. On the other hand, some boilers operate in a slightly reducing flame (yellow with fuel oil). The advantage is that the boiler lasts longer and that it does not have to come to regulate it every week. The disadvantages are the generation of soot and CO (while producing less NOx).

In short, the flame regime in which we find ourselves is a CHOICE. And has nothing to do with adding water ...

By the way, information like that: they do IR spectro on gases containing a lot of water vapor? They plan to see something with this?

This autogenous water re-injection technique is not used in engineering school books. But I'm sure you're going to get us out of a good oil flame is a yellow flame ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

This technique lowers the flame temperature and makes it possible to absorb at least the CO remaining in water, which makes its detection by IR difficult or even impossible as it is.

I have the impression that you trust too much a few basics of thermodynamics ...

You mean these basics of thermodynamics never invalidated since they were formulated? Is this the basis that allowed the A380 to fly? These bases which made it possible to produce, at an affordable price, the computer which you use? If we are talking about the same thing, I hope you understand that your relativism is unwelcome.

By the way, to laugh a little: under what the addition of water in a boiler would increase its performance? (by comparing what is comparable: first ask your experimenters to modulate the air flow or the fuel flow (depending on what is modifiable) to obtain a stoichiometric flame, just to be sure that we compare well the same thing).
0 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 01/05/11, 22:21

By the way, to laugh a little: under what the addition of water in a boiler would increase its performance? (by comparing what is comparable: first ask your experimenters to modulate the air flow or the fuel flow (depending on what is modifiable) to obtain a stoichiometric flame, just to be sure that we compare well the same thing).

The water droplets mixed with the fuel melt a mini "explosion" at the time of their vaporization (slow then brutal) in the flame of the burner and split the fuel droplets (as would an injection at much higher pressure). The contact surface with the oxidizer is significantly increased, the flame is significantly shorter and there are significantly less unburnt ... and the efficiency is increased!

The phenomenon is described in several documents from Ademe and a doc of a heavy fuel oil burner (the links are on Econology).
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132