Natural insulation materials survey

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.

What is the most effective and profitable natural insulation material for you?

You can select 1 option

Consult the results
Santajo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Natural insulation materials survey

by Santajo » 02/01/08, 17:19

First, I will present the purpose of my request.

I am a student atIUT Biological Engineering of Caen optional Environmental Engineering. I decided to carry out a project on ecological houses, which I must present to validate my course. This project is very serious and should lead to the production of a brochure on the ecological houses. For this I need a maximum of contact with people who have already built a ecological house or who know a lot about it. For that, I would like to do a survey. The best way to carry out this survey is to target the public, and for that the door to door would have been too long. I therefore decided to carry out my surveys on forums dealing with ecological houses.

I hope to have a very representative participation rate.

My question is very simple:

What is the most effective and profitable natural insulation material for you?

You will answer the survey and give an argument to your request.

Thank you beforehand.
0 x
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" Saint Exupéry
stone-ernest
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by stone-ernest » 16/02/08, 17:54

Insulation materials can be classified according to their performance.
For example, their coefficient of thermal conductivity. The smaller it is, the more the material is insulating.

From most effective to least effective
Sheep wool 0,032
Linen: 0,037
Liège: 0,038
Cellulose wadding: 0,040

Whatever the price of the insulation, there comes a time (more or less distant, of course) when the most profitable becomes the most effective.

Polyurethane foam has an even better coefficient than that of wool: 0,025; but maybe it is not very "ecological"?

So the most effective and profitable product is sheep's wool.
0 x
I exist, so I pollute. But I clean
RolCopter
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

What materials to insulate your home?

by RolCopter » 16/02/08, 18:13

Hello everyone

Speaking of natural insulation, a little comparison with other insulation is not inappropriate.

What materials to insulate your home?

https://www.econologie.com/les-isolants- ... -3168.html
0 x
Less consumption is good
Less pollution is already a great result
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/02/08, 11:23

pierre-ernest wrote:Polyurethane foam has an even better coefficient than that of wool: 0,025; but maybe it is not very "ecological"?

No it is wrong. PU foam is not as insulating as that. .
The absolute limit of an insulator (except special insulators which are not air-based) is that of the air lambda which is approximately 0.026 at 20 ° C and 0.024 at 0 ° C (see table http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air#Propri ... ophysiques ).

pierre-ernest wrote:So the most effective and profitable product is sheep's wool.

The most profitable is surely not the PU foam because it is the one which needs less gray energy and which pays for itself faster.

In this case, cellulose wadding is best placed in natural insulation.
0 x
RolCopter
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

dry air dry air and transfer inertia

by RolCopter » 17/02/08, 12:09

Hello everyone

Stop me if I'm wrong, all I remember in my little brain is that the best thermal insulator is the one that traps the maximum dry air in its texture while having the best temperature transfer inertia .
I'm wrong : Mrgreen:
0 x
Less consumption is good

Less pollution is already a great result
jcf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jcf » 17/02/08, 12:24

Well!
And the straw ????
Isn't straw ecological?
Just go get it in the fields next to it, a straw bale wall is equivalent to a wall with 30 cm of glass wool insulation!
Do not forget the straw ....
A+
Jean-Christophe
Ps: besides there is a builder of straw house in Carcagny, near Bayeux: you must be able to find his address on the site of the compaillons.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/02/08, 12:27

If straw is very ecological but not (yet?) Proposed for the general public unlike cellulose ...

It is perhaps because it is precisely too green (not industrializable enough) that it does not interest the "big" companies?
0 x
jcf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jcf » 17/02/08, 12:46

Ah okay, the problem related to green industrial houses : Cheesy:
That said, it seems to me that in terms of industrial only hemp is CSTB approved, right?
Well, well here it is, I can't vote because my favorite is straw, not expensive at all, waste from some and isolation from others!
A+
JC
0 x
jcf
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jcf » 17/02/08, 12:50

Even though I think about the moment I said something stupid, there are panels of compressed straw (> Stramit international).
JC
0 x
Santajo
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Santajo » 17/02/08, 18:42

Thank you for all the answers.
My subject compares synthetic and mineral insulation materials compared to natural materials from an ecological (by life cycle analysis) and economic point of view.

Whatever the price of the insulation, there comes a time (more or less distant, of course) when the most profitable becomes the most effective.

Thank you pierre-ernest for making me think of this aspect of the economy.

Otherwise, finally in general, the insulating materials are more ecological (except cotton), and sometimes very economical as in the case of straw. But when you build a house you have to adapt the materials to your region and to local products. So there are not really more ecological or more economical insulating materials, when you build a house, it ultimately depends on your needs.
0 x
"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children" Saint Exupéry