Rainbow double: how does it work?

The developments of forums and the site. Humor and conviviality between the members of the forum - Tout est anything - Presentation of new registered members Relaxation, free time, leisure, sports, vacations, passions ... What do you do with your free time? Forum exchanges on our passions, activities, leisure ... creative or recreational! Publish your ads. Classifieds, cyber-actions and petitions, interesting sites, calendar, events, fairs, exhibitions, local initiatives, association activities .... No purely commercial advertising please.
Christophe

Rainbow double: how does it work?

by Christophe » 04/07/07, 15:09

We observed yesterday after a rather violent storm and thanks to the clearing which followed, a "double" rainbow just in the field next door. It was the first time in my life that I saw one so I guess it's not very common.

Here is what I quickly found on google:

Double Rainbow

Sometimes a second, larger rainbow can be seen above the primary arch. It is due to a second reflection of the sun's rays inside the raindrops. Its angle is approximately 52 °.

As the light is reflected twice, the colors are inverted from a primary rainbow, and it is also paler and therefore less visible. In theory, we could also see an infinite number of rainbows, resulting from the multiple reflections in the drop of water. In the laboratory, we were able to count 19!

Can I pass you the pictures if anyone is interested?
0 x
Rabbit
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rabbit » 04/07/07, 18:36

Something like this?
I took the picture last night Sorry for the quality, my camera
is 5 years old and it is a m ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/07/07, 18:46

Yes exactly, except in much smaller :)

Did it hit your house too then? Where are you from in Belgium? Reminds me more ...

ps: I slightly resized your image ...
0 x

Go back to "The bistro: site life, leisure and relaxation, humor and conviviality and Classifieds"