BeBike 5, B'Twin Electric: tests, tests, customer reviews

Buying well and choosing a product or service well means, in addition to being satisfied, consuming less and preserving the planet, it is essential in 2021 to buy better! Also the exchange of information and experiences makes it possible to avoid various scams and crooks. In 2021, it is essential to exchange your experiences of use, positive or negative, because the market for products and services for the consumer has never been so abundant in the history of mankind. Helping to choose better is essential because buying better means buying sustainable!
Christophe

BeBike 5, B'Twin Electric: tests, tests, customer reviews

by Christophe » 12/05/11, 11:19

To "complete" our foldable electric assistance bike greencity, we just bought a very recent model from Décathlon: a b'ebike 5.

I say very recent because it has just returned (for about 1 month) in the Decathlon catalog and, I saw on their pc (nice seller) that other models will arrive in the coming months (up to € 3300 on bike!). It will hurt some importers who abuse the prices of VAE (style 1500 to 2000 € foldable) ...

Nice look:

It costs "only" 650 € for a "real" electric bike (we were criticized that the foldable at 400 € bought in 2009 was not a "real" bike ...).

The manufacturing quality of bebike 5 is, from what I have seen for the moment at least rated cycle, at the rendezvous. Electric side it seems impeccable too, see below.

The purpose of this subject is to share our feedback on this model and above all to be able to compare it to our other model.

Here are the main features according to the official website: http://store.btwin.com/bebike-5-w-id_8180033_5_20.html (with 3D view and detailed photos)

Assistance: 250W motor with integrated speed sensor, 10A FER lithium batteryh 24V without quality memory effect (around 500 cycles), LED control screen

the motor integrated in the rear hub allows to drive up to 25km / h in a progressive and safe way. The battery ensures a maximum autonomy of 45km, for an average autonomy of 25 km (depending on the elevation, the program chosen and the weight of the user, there may be variations).

Frame and fork: Hi Ten steel. Mixed "city" geometry (lowered frame)

the frame has a specific geometry for city cycling. It is a lowered frame to facilitate spanning and frequent stops.

Transmission: 6 speeds by shimano revolving handles, shimano tourney rear derailleur, single plate steel crank

the 6 shimano speeds are sufficient for urban use. For a good use of the bike, Prefer a start in speed 1 to 3, then switch to a speed between 4 and 6 when you ride.

Position: steel hanger, height adjustable stem, screwed seat clamp. Comfort seat with integrated trolley, steel seatpost

the position is studied to provide maneuverability and good visibility. The handlebars are raised to have an upright and ergonomic position. The saddle is very wide to provide maximum comfort.

Wheels: double wall rims. Specific city tires with reflective strips (26 inches, or 650 mm in diameter)

the tires are specially designed for urban use. The reflective strips on the tires enhance the visibility of the night cyclist.

Braking: front and rear brakes V steel brake calipers. Aluminum lever

braking is effective.

Accessories: mudguard, wide stand, chain guard, luggage rack integrated into the frame

securing the battery in the integrated luggage rack by key.

VAE: The choice

you can of course use your bike in traditional bike mode if you do not need electric assistance.

Battery charger included

Charging time: 5 hours for optimal charging. Store your charged battery, during the non-use phases of your bike, remember to recharge your battery every month.

Simple and intuitive LED display

Ignition, lighting lighting, choice between the 3 modes (Eco Mode which allows you to drive gradually up to around 16km / h. (Autonomy of about 45km max))

Lighting

You can switch on the lighting by simply pressing the "lighting" button on the display. The front and rear lights are powered by the battery.

Brief comparison with this model after a few tens of km traveled with the bebike in a few days:

a) The bebike has a progressive power management so the foldable is all or nothing.

We therefore have more "sensations" with the foldable (it grows more at the start) but the energy is much better managed in the bebike, the autonomy will therefore be greater (not to mention the 20% more battery capacity). : 240Wh against 192Wh and large wheels with less energy)

b) 3 power operating modes for the bebike: eco, normal and sport.

We can feel the progressive power when switching from one mode to another at stabilized speed. The "sport" mode gives more power (assistance torque) than the normal mode, more powerful than the eco mode. The progressiveness is also felt in acceleration which is much "softer" than on the foldable.

Note that the sport mode is the one that will make you do the least sport! : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

c) Obvious dynamic advantage of large wheels: we need less energy to move forward. When coasting downhill, the bebike is always ahead!

d) The handlebar control of the charge and the 3 modes is a great advantage: we can better manage the energy than on the foldable where the battery charge appears on the battery so ... under the saddle. Cf experience EAV-velo-electric-functional-with-trailer t7946.html

e) 1 big defect on the bebike: the (too) large kickstand that hits the pedal when it is deployed. When you want to move the bike for a few meters without removing it it freezes every time. So quite painful! 1 smallest defect: the front brake touches, therefore damages, the front mudguard.

f) Same defect on the 2 bikes: only 6 speeds, it lacks an extension at high speed, the 6 is not long enough past 20-25km / h must mill! Too bad one more tray on the pedal, it would not have cost very expensive (well, we can imagine installing it homemade in recovery ...)

g) Comfort: saddle and handles (ergonomic on the bebike) much more comfortable on the bebike (on the foldable the saddle was changed so much that it hurt the heart ...)

f) Lights: the bebike at the front and the rear on the battery, the foldable only at the front. Both have control on the handlebars. In one case as in the other they are not conventional bulbs, therefore no LEDs. Too bad for bikes so recent ...

Ah I almost forgot: the instructions ... very complete for the foldable (small multilingual booklet) but nonexistent for the bebike (1 simple A4 photocopy), strange from decathlon!

I will do some personal photos (if specific requests for details, tell me) soon ...

So here for 1050 euros, we now have 2 electric bikes which seem to me of quality ...
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 12/05/11, 13:34

Interesting...
Since I got my mountain bike stung last year and I'm considering buying a bike anyway, why not an electric one.
Thanks for the info, so follow.
0 x
Arnaud M
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Arnaud M » 12/05/11, 20:19

If I compare with my Matra 2009 (which must cost in the 1000 euros currently? Finally a higher price range of one or 2 slices):

- For the higher battery capacity (10 Ah at 24 V while I only have 8 Ah at 24 V in Ni-Mh) I find the range of 25 km a bit limited, while the Matra has 30 to 70 kms.
In my opinion the electrical system is not the most efficient.
It would be necessary to compare battery capacity in Wh with kms min and max, to have the consumption in Wh / km.

- I would have liked to know the weight. More than 25 kgs is not optimized.

- I had a Decathlon from the 97s, the best of the best. When I see the Chinese shit they currently offer for more money, I cry ... The e-bikes of previous years did not seem to me to bring more than the crossroads or Auchan bikes often cheaper.

- the triple plateau it's true that it costs nothing (29 euros at the bike shop) and that it changes your life, especially when like me we have 200 m in the morning at 22%, and 800 m of elevation gain over 10 kms (400 m of vertical drop).
1 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 12/05/11, 22:46

the triple plateau it's true that it costs nothing (29 euros at the bike shop) and that it changes your life, especially when like me we have 200 m in the morning at 22%, and 800 m of elevation gain over 10 kms ( 400 m of vertical drop).

I understand the need for the best of the best electric !!
At 22% there are not many who do not drain the battery before arrival.
These elevations, ideal exercise for me, grandfather, to keep in shape without electric assistance, and treat my sciatica !!
In addition to improving health, an old basic mountain bike with triple chainring, does not empty the wallet !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/05/11, 09:48

Arnaud M wrote:- I would have liked to know the weight. More than 25 kgs is not optimized.

Good question: the bebike is, of course, much heavier than the tracker (100% aluminum frame).

The official site gives it for 25 kg.

I would make a real weighing of the 2 asap.
0 x

Go back to "Reviews and tests of products and services." Good deals, scams and scams. What to choose, reviews and purchase tests to choose better! "