Establishment laboratory test eco bulbs

Hi-tech electronic and computer equipment and Internet. Better use of electricity, help with the work and specifications, equipment selection. Presentations fixtures and plans. Waves and electromagnetic pollution.
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Establishment laboratory test eco bulbs

by Econosaurus » 05/05/10, 17:53

Hello !
I'm new to the community, but I've been educating myself and having a good time on this site for a while. So I chose to share with you a small project, in order to have your opinion and your advice ...

I would like to test compact fluorescent bulbs, economical halogen, and subsequently, LEDs.

I have a 100 groin of bulbs to test, the purpose being to provide information on bulb performance, much like the advice of "60 million consumers", all available on a website that sells bulbs .

The two manufacturers I have chosen are:

-OSRAM
-PAULMANN

I made a small test "laboratory", in order to film the tests in HD, or even to take comparative photos for example for the different color temperatures.
The room is completely closed to light, and the walls are white, I do not have the concern of possible results distorted by an external light source ...

I have :

- A "Chauvin Arnoux CA 703" digital multimeter
- A "Chauvin Arnoux CA 811" digital luxmeter
- A "La Crosse" wattmeter

I took a few pictures to show you a little bit what it looks like, and especially so that you tell me what is going and what is not going.

The spacing between the bulb and the luxmeter sensor is 1M battery! The heights of the bulb, and of the sensor are identical.

Luxmeter:

Wattmeter + interchangeable socket support (to be able to test all types of sockets).

Here, I think that this small installation is a good tool to verify the data manufacturing of bulbs.

I await your opinions!

In any case, thank you if you have read so far =)
Last edited by Econosaurus the 05 / 05 / 10, 18: 07, 1 edited once.
0 x
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Econosaurus » 05/05/10, 18:03

I just add the test sheet that I put in place in order to note and keep all the results observed.

Same, if things don't suit you, or whatever, I'm all ears ^^

https://www.econologie.com/fichiers/partager2/1273075335QThsu8.pdf

Thank you!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 05/05/10, 19:01

In fact, the real labs are equipped with spheres ... let's move on.

It seems to me that your lab is fishing because the cell sees the bulb.
Let me explain: what is most important in a bulb: the brightness of the bulb or what can be done with it?

In your test, a clear incandescent bulb would give better results than a fluorescent tube with low luminance, but high flux because the surface is large.
The light intensity (lux) does not give any indication of light output, for that, you need to know the flux (lux X surface = quantity of light) A spot bulb can give a lot of lux in a spot by delivering less lumens than an omnidirectional lamp. This requires complex installations.

My brother, former photometer of ACEC Charleroi unfortunately died last year, he could have enlightened us (sic).
Personally, I would light a white wall and put the cell back to the bulb (in a black tube)
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 05/05/10, 23:06

In addition our eyes are sensitive to the light spectrum depending on the light wavelengths, because the fluorescent lights do not give the same impression as the incandescent (more yellow) or the LEEDs (too metallic with non-uniform spectrum) and therefore this sensation important for our visual comfort to be measured.
Does the luxmeter have a measurement spectrum similar to our eye?
For the light output it is necessary to measure on all the directions (with a luxmeter with spectrum of the human eye) and to sum by integrating all the directions, to know the quantity of light emitted, compared to.
Neon lights are not more directive than incandescent but LEDs are very directive and therefore give different impressions and require this integration to know the return.
The lifespan is influenced by the number of ignitions for the fluorescent and for the LEDS very strongly function of the temperature and therefore of the ease of convection of the air around, in particular with lampshades or not !!
LEDs with 80000h, if well cooled, take 10ans to be tested, except by heating them, where they shorten their life !!
Cheap LEDs sometimes last less than incandescent !!
0 x
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Econosaurus » 05/05/10, 23:42

Wow! So basically, there is work. The measurement range of my luxmeter is from 20 to 20k lux.

Thanks a lot for your answers !

elephant: Do you think that if I install a white opaque filter, of a material that lets light through, I can have a more relevant result?

I really have a ton of material available to fix all this, but being a beginner, it's a bit hot ...

Have you ever set up labs yourself?
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 06/05/10, 00:13

Do you think that if I install a white opaque filter, of a material that lets light through, I can have a more relevant result

I do not think so, because the light will be weaker and the filter with unknown properties may distort the colors (ratio of wavelengths).
What is your objective in these light measurements ?, because in my opinion the sensations of the eye are those of reference and therefore the luxmeter must have the same properties (not the case of semiconductors except good filters) and the measurements must be made in real conditions, lampshades, reflectors, with different lamps, for different uses: corridor lighting, reading desk, bedroom lighting, etc.
0 x
Econosaurus
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Econosaurus » 06/05/10, 00:22

It's just to compare the manufacturing data in terms of consumption and lighting, to that which will be produced in this small lab.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/05/10, 09:01

Opaque white is certainly not the right term: translucent or diffusing is more appropriate.

I think so, I also have one on my own luxmeter (I sometimes tinker in the lighting)

A big flaw in your installation is the bright spot on the wall near the lamp. Why would you not mount the lamp to be tested on a foot (floor lamp) so that there is at least one meter between the lamp and each point of the room.

The piece greatly influences the measurement and the feeling of seeing clearly: I once did the measurement before and after repainting a ceiling: + 40%!

An interesting experiment to do, which unfortunately only works with a film camera with detachable automatism:
take a reference bulb (for example, 60W incandescent spherical opal of large brand) (to keep)
illuminate with this bulb a standard colorful scene (various objects: toys, newspaper page, wooden objects)
place an opaque screen between the lamp and the camera: no direct light should enter the camera
take a properly exposed photo, note settings)
remake the same photo with the other bulbs while keeping the settings used for the reference bulb, do not forget to include in the fields a panel specifying the lamp model.
after development and printing, we realize that some manufacturers are brazenly lying!
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Christophe

by Christophe » 06/05/10, 10:21

Good motivation, well done!

We did the same 2006 for a series of fluorescent and led bulbs whose installation you can watch and the results on these subjects:

- Comparative tests and light efficiency of economical compact fluorescent bulbs
- Comparative tests on LED bulbs

Another discussion on the results: https://www.econologie.com/forums/ampoules-a ... t2118.html

Other tests carried out with Luxeon GU10 230V in 2008:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/test-compa ... t6649.html
And more luxuries but in 12V in 2007:
https://www.econologie.com/forums/comparatif ... t4009.html

Elephant, not all rooms and objects in homes are white so there is no obligation, for the sake of comparative efficiency, to have white walls.

My remarks in relation to our past experiences so that you do not reproduce them:

- Making a measurement on 1 only light point is insufficient, I had done it on 4 in 2006. It is a minimum (it joins the idea of ​​the elephant sphere).

- Better to use an ammeter (mA) than a wattmeter on socket because their precision in low power is often poor

- The problem of cos phi has not been really elucidated but it is still quite high (0.85 mini).

The ideal is ultimately to use a modern EDF electronic meter with power display (precision in Watt or 1 / 10 ideally) and to test consumption over one hour.

Good fun!
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 06/05/10, 12:46

We welcome the arrival in your laboratory of new instruments with indisputable precision and efficiency: trash can, sink, bathtub ..... :D
Which brand do you recommend: Chauvin-Arnoux? Fluke? Bruel and Kjaer? Perkin-Elmer?
0 x