Can we repair the CFL?

And if they were repairing rather than throwing and change? Rediscover the pleasure of the repairs yourself. How to diagnose a problem or find spare parts? Repair itself is way to save money generally!
I Citro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by I Citro » 09/12/07, 18:51

: Arrow: You don't really reassure me there ...

So how do I know if the compact fluorescent bulbs I have and my microwave oven are leaking.

What do I need to check their emissions? :?:
0 x
iso14000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by iso14000 » 09/12/07, 19:17

microwaves whose radiation is persistent in food etc etc

huh? !!! where does that come from? :?:

The remark on the static fields is very correct. I was just fixing ideas.
An electromagnetic wave propagates; so the energy vector also E ^ H (vector product) you are absolutely right.

A field meter is very expensive, and you have to know how to use it. However I had the opportunity to use that of Elektor and for comparative measurements with a calibrated laboratory device it is very good. .. in the working range.

On the other hand, I note that when I use a microwave oven, the table which is in front of the door starts to heat: that it is a beam of microwaves, much more dangerous!

if it is true: all at the shelters!

Lamps, like the rest, are subject to electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) standards. These are very restrictive standards, because long before having a level which could have the slightest harmfulness, a device could emit waves which disturb radio communications. The level for consumer equipment is extremely low (15 times lower than for industrial equipment for example).

True ! it is the 89/336 CE which is not very young (1989) this directive has been amended since
All radio devices must respond to the minimum RTTE.

The Chinese will give you the "CE" if you ask for it, the junk may not meet any standard; the legal person responsible for the product is the first importer in the EEC.

A microwave oven is aging and should be monitored. The tests are done on a sample and there is a production monitoring plan ... but over time ...

A word of advice: stay away when he walks.

I personally would not go in front of the very long wave antennas (<150Khz) of army transmitters, given the power radiated!
Last edited by iso14000 the 09 / 12 / 07, 19: 32, 1 edited once.
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 09/12/07, 19:18

Apart from the fact that the subject has derived a lot :|

julier wrote:On the other hand, I note that when I use a microwave oven, the table which is in front of the door starts to heat: that it is a beam of microwaves, much more dangerous!

How do you explain this warm-up? ,Insofar as:
Microwaves act only on polar molecules, water, but also chemical compounds containing a polar group (oxygen, nitrogen, halogenated functions ...).
Last edited by delnoram the 09 / 12 / 07, 22: 09, 1 edited once.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 09/12/07, 21:52

when we test a faulty compact fluorescent lamp we often find a grilled filament: but we must not conclude for that that it is the grilled filament which caused the breakdown: it is much more often another breakdown which prevents the tube to prime and toast the filament

proof the tube has 1 toasted filament can often work on another ballast using a single filament

this is the misfortune of power electronics: when something burns out it makes a lot of things burn out and it is difficult to find the real culprit

but it can also come from certain ballast which continue to pass a little current in the filaments when the tube is lit
0 x
Chatham
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Chatham » 10/12/07, 09:41

delnoram wrote:Apart from the fact that the subject has derived a lot :|

julier wrote:On the other hand, I note that when I use a microwave oven, the table which is in front of the door starts to heat: that it is a beam of microwaves, much more dangerous!

How do you explain this warm-up? ,Insofar as:
Microwaves act only on polar molecules, water, but also chemical compounds containing a polar group (oxygen, nitrogen, halogenated functions ...).

I'm having fun: personally I have never noticed any outside heating other than that of the air coming from the ventilation of the oven ... the microwaves cannot come out of the oven because of the shielding (on an approved device and in good state)
The microwave emission from a cell phone does not bother you it seems it (see the experience of cooking an egg between 2 cell phones at full power: it lasted 2 hours, but the egg was well done... : Mrgreen:
As for the formation of "chemical compounds": you can imagine that conventional cooking does not form any? : Mrgreen:
0 x
dudull2
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by dudull2 » 19/12/07, 17:31

Hello everybody

Let's try to refocus the debate on the original subject: still no method or lead to identify the origin of the breakdown?

Ditto for my X accumulated lamps, I checked that there was a filament resistance (around 4 or 8 Ohms approximately), this value is it good (it would be necessary to have a good lamp) but the fact is that all had a similar resistance value.

The diodes are easy to test, an HS resistance is often more or less charred, a transistor quite often goes into short circuit or open circuit (it must be dismantled to watch its gain), the condos are more difficult to check if we don't have a frequency generator and an oscillator ...

Happy Holidays
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 19/12/07, 18:25

to troubleshoot I don't like to dismantle the components one by one to control them: it's too long

I prefer to take the diagram and try to understand by measuring what is happening

feed with a variable transformer and an ammeter to see if it starts or not

on the oscilloscope we can see what works or not
0 x
iso14000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by iso14000 » 19/12/07, 21:22

and well there I have one where it is the thermistor in series with the filaments which burned!

I encourage you to download the following article on éleKtor which talks about tube control electronics almost all integrated into a farchild IC.

http://www.elektor.fr/magazines/2008/ja ... 1987.lynkx

otherwise there is M Fenar who made an interesting reverse of lamp at this address:
http://xavier.fenard.free.fr/Eclair.htm

thanks to him!
to dig!
0 x
iso14000
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by iso14000 » 27/12/07, 19:42

so go see the comments on:

http://www.malampe.org/?q=les_enjeux_environnementaux

concerning the recycling of compact fluorescent lamps and neon lights:

I quote it to you sometimes that it is "erased":
HG
Submitted by GE on Thu, 12/27/2007 - 18:25.

It is not clear that recycling of mercury is only possible if the lamp is returned intact to the recycling center.
the rating 93% of the weight of the lamps are recyclable diverts the reader from the real problem
If the mercury contained in a lamp in tiny quantities (0,005%) does not represent any danger in the event of "breakage", it is nevertheless on this poison that it is necessary to communicate, in particular near the personnel of the waste!

the mass of recyclable glass contained in the bulbs consumed in France represents a tiny quantity of the glass used in this country, then the topo on The use of broken glass is a backfire and not an act of education
»

* To leave a comment
0 x
nialabert
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by nialabert » 27/12/07, 20:57

iso14000 wrote:and well there I have one where it is the thermistor in series with the filaments which burned!

I encourage you to download the following article on éleKtor which talks about tube control electronics almost all integrated into a farchild IC.

http://www.elektor.fr/magazines/2008/ja ... 1987.lynkx

otherwise there is M Fenar who made an interesting reverse of lamp at this address:
http://xavier.fenard.free.fr/Eclair.htm

thanks to him!
to dig!

I like the second article, but I do not understand why he uses the term "eco lamp" when it is an economical lamp (well, to say what) and why he talks about neon lights when it is fluorescent tubes.

Otherwise, it would seem that we can use economical lamp electronics for traditional fluorescent tubes. In practice, it works but I am not sure that the output power of this electronics is sufficient to supply a 36 W tube. If someone has an idea on the question ...
0 x
Researchers who seek are found, but researchers found it seeks.

Back to "failure, troubleshooting and repair: repair yourself? "