Tuber or no tuber? this is the question (urgent!)

Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ... short thermal comfort. Insulation, wood energy, heat pumps but also electricity, gas or oil, VMC ... Help in choosing and implementation, problem solving, optimization, tips and tricks ...
Budding econologist
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Tuber or no tuber? this is the question (urgent!)

by Budding econologist » 05/11/07, 16:46

Hello,

I try to renovate a village house with my companion, no more gifted in DIY than I. History to complicate things, we try to renovate as ecologically as possible. Suddenly, we put a wood stove, and therefore built a chimney (the house did not have a heating system). The mason had told us that it was not necessary to tub because the bushels were new. We thought so, too happy to save the tubes. And here is the drama! stains of bistre, smell of wood .... How to avoid this? We swept, of course. But we were told that we had to insulate the duct in the attic: how to do it? And I read on another forum that someone with the same problem had not fixed it by casing the duct. Please answer me quickly. Simply insulating the duct in the attic would save me around 400 euros ... (the duct is 6m50).
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Tuber or not tuber? that is the question (urgent!)

by Cuicui » 05/11/07, 17:00

Aspiring econologist wrote:The mason had told us that it was not necessary to tub because the bushels were new. We were told to insulate the duct in the attic

If I remember correctly, the chimney flue in the attic must be lined with a brick partition that surrounds the entire flue, with a gap of a few cm between the bushels and the partition. Casing is only really justified if the bushels are damaged.
0 x
fc89
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by fc89 » 05/11/07, 18:29

Hello,

As far as I am concerned, I had known this more than 15 years ago, stains on the ceiling unpleasant odor and sweeping 3 times in the season. So I decided to tub, a few months later I had to leave my job suddenly to open my house for firefighters.
Luckily for me they did not odorize the house, after inspecting the duct from above, a fire man told me no more problems now it is swept and there is no damage.
I ask him, that it happened because everything is new, he answers me, the stainless steel tubing is security but it also has a drawback, it cools too quickly when leaving the roof so it must be isolate.
What I did at the time, I stuffed the inside of the brick duct with rock wool, made a hole in a cellular concrete element for the stainless steel tube and closed the chimney outlet with it.
Now I have no problem.
A+
0 x
bham
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bham » 05/11/07, 18:48

Topic already discussed qq part but good. The problem is that the fumes heat the bushels, they therefore make a thermal buffer between the hot fumes and the cold in the attic or outside. And when hot meets cold, it gives condensation, which trickles down by doing brown spots and generating odors not great.
This is why the solution of non-insulated bushels is not always ideal. In short, to insulate the bushels, it is enough to buy plates of placo + wool of glass and to stick them on the part of the conduit located in the attic, that should be enough. If the duct above the roof is high, it can still be a problem ... to see.
0 x

Back to "Heating, insulation, ventilation, VMC, cooling ..."