Everything about the Z-Machine: explanation and operation

Oil, gas, coal, nuclear (PWR, EPR, hot fusion, ITER), gas and coal thermal power plants, cogeneration, tri-generation. Peakoil, depletion, economics, technologies and geopolitical strategies. Prices, pollution, economic and social costs ...
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Everything about the Z-Machine: explanation and operation

by Cuicui » 30/01/07, 00:08

Have you heard of the z machine ?
It is an experimental setup originally intended to produce a significant amount of x-rays, used to test the shielding of nuclear warheads.
In 2005, this assembly made it possible to obtain the unexpected temperature of 3,7 billion degrees, much more than it takes to cause the hydrogen-boron fusion, which produces practically no radioactivity and could be used to build inexpensive and non-polluting power plants, in the relatively near future, with current technical means.
This topic was brought up on this forum by Logan.
Last edited by Cuicui the 30 / 12 / 10, 13: 52, 2 edited once.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 30/01/07, 00:19

Some may have wondered what is the difference between a z-machine and the future ITER.
ITER will be a Tokamak (term coined by the Russians), in which magnetic energy is used to contain hot plasma continuously in an annular duct (torus). This is the technique of magnetic confinement. The French JET was recently the largest tokamak in the world. TORE SUPRA is smaller, but it is equipped with superconducting magnets, more efficient, but fragile. With the future ITER which is a giant tokamak also equipped with superconductive magnets, we hope one day to be able to confine a plasma long enough to maintain a deuterium-tritium fusion continuously and draw energy from it. But this poses difficult problems to solve, and in addition, the reaction, not being aneutronic, produces radioactive waste, even if it is much less than uranium fission plants.
In the much more rustic and less expensive z-machine, magnetism is used to violently compress (neck) a plasma for a very short time. It's here magnetic necking, which could be used to induce fusion reactions discontinuously (small explosions in series). The very high temperatures obtained by the Sandia z-machine make it possible to envisage the almost aneutronic fusion of hydrogen and boron, which practically releases only charged particles which can be captured directly to produce electricity, without moving parts, which reduces still the costs.
This is why we could say that there is between the tokamak and the z-machine a difference somewhat similar to that between the steam engine and the internal combustion engine.
Last edited by Cuicui the 31 / 05 / 08, 15: 01, 4 edited once.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 30/01/07, 00:33

For those who would like to know more about the z-machine and the z-pinch technique, here are in chronological order, the references of the series of articles that the physicist Jean-Pierre PETIT published on his site as and when that the information was reaching him.
Recall that the Sandia laboratories z-machine in Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA, produced these high temperatures in 2005, and that these results were published in February 2006, and resumed by JPP in May. So it's fresh ...
JPP's articles are essential, because he is unfortunately the only French scientist to have taken the initiative to publish the results of his analyzes on his site:
29/05/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... chine2.htm
30/05/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... #reactions
11/06/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... es_MHD.htm
15/06/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... _armements
17/06/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... _bavay.htm
25/06/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... ements.htm
25/06/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/science/Z-machi ... Haines.htm
01/08/06 http://www.jp-petit.org/Presse/la_grande_epoque.htm
Good reading !
Last edited by Cuicui the 04 / 02 / 11, 16: 17, 3 edited once.
0 x
Capt_Maloche

by Capt_Maloche » 30/01/07, 10:23

Excellent, I know what we're talking about now (but I had 2 hours of work : Cry: )

So, when do we slow down the iter project (and too bad for profiteers) in favor of a Z-machine?

We must spread a readable message to as many people as possible and stress the importance of this discovery before the elections.

Cuicui could perhaps submit a model to us, and when it is ready, we will send it en masse on the net;

Okay? disagree?
0 x
"Consumption is similar to a search consolation, a way to fill a growing existential void. With, the key, a lot of frustration and a little guilt, increasing the environmental awareness." (Gérard Mermet)
OUCH, OUILLE, OUCH, AAHH! ^ _ ^
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 30/01/07, 10:54

Capt_Maloche wrote:Excellent, I know what we're talking about now (but I had 2 hours of work : Cry: )
So, when do we slow down the iter project (and too bad for profiteers) in favor of a Z-machine?
We must spread a readable message to as many people as possible and stress the importance of this discovery before the elections.
Cuicui could perhaps submit a model to us, and when it is ready, we will send it en masse on the net;
Okay? disagree?

Thank you Capt_Maloche for your interest.
Wow, but what happens all of a sudden? I who felt like I was talking forever in a vacuum while waiting to be hit ...
Hello Logan, you who launched the info on this site and encouraged me to inform myself. There are already petitions: Mezigue, JPP ... We could perhaps try to make it shorter, simpler and clearer. I'll think about it.
Last edited by Cuicui the 21 / 09 / 08, 23: 15, 3 edited once.
0 x
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 31/01/07, 00:57

Thank you Cuicui ... : Wink:
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 04/02/07, 00:49

Z-MACHINE: I BELIEVE IN IT, I DO NOT BELIEVE IN IT ...

- I believe it ! It is unexpected! The problem of energy on earth is finally solved!
- I do not believe it ! It's hoax, wishful thinking, science fiction and Co. Nuclear fusion is not for tomorrow!

Unconditional faith or systematic denial are beliefs that are certainly respectable but not very interesting insofar as there are as many as people on earth.
What is interesting are the facts. And the best way to find out is to try.
The stake of the z-machine is such that it justifies verifications.
A z-machine more powerful than that of the Americans could, according to the physicist JP Petit, be built in less than a year, for a cost lower than 1/200 th of ITER, preferably in collaboration with others country.
An even simpler solution would be to improve SPHYNX, Gramat's French z-machine, if the military were willing to lend it to civilians.
Whether or not this montage confirms Sandia's results, it would in any case constitute a formidable research tool for exploring areas still unknown in physics. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Last edited by Cuicui the 03 / 02 / 12, 10: 50, 10 edited once.
0 x
jean63
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by jean63 » 04/02/07, 00:57

An even simpler solution would be to improve SPHYNX, Gramat's French z-machine, if the military were willing to lend it to civilians.
Whether or not this montage confirms Sandia's results, it would in any case constitute a formidable research tool for exploring areas still unknown in physics. So we have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

He has Chirac, Hulot, Janco, Voynet, Lepage, Bové and also Sarko, Ségo, Bayrou .... etc. and that they put it in their program in addition to the pact of N.Hulot !!!! that's a lot to swallow before April 2007 !!! : Lol:
0 x
Only when he has brought down the last tree, the last river contaminated, the last fish caught that man will realize that money is not edible (Indian MOHAWK).
Woodcutter
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Woodcutter » 04/02/07, 01:12

No Jancovici News?
0 x
"I am a big brute, but I rarely mistaken ..."
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 04/02/07, 01:40

Woodcutter wrote:No Jancovici News?

No, total radio silence since my 2nd email. Pity.
0 x